Need a new AV Amplifier

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to Frank Harvey I am now the proud owner of some RX6s.

I will be adding a RXLCR and R90HDs (for rears) and an active sub later.

The only speakers connected to my new AV amplifier will be the RXLCR and R90HDs. This is because the RX6s will be 'pre-outed' to my stereo amp and obviously the active sub will have own amplification.

So this leads me to a slimline AV amplifier (would this seem reasonable?) with a lower power output but with performance the speakers deserve. I can only see the Marantz 1403 and 1603 that have the front channel pre-outs. Questions are:

Are these slimline AV amplifiers good enough?

Are there any other slimlines out there (with pre-outs)?

Why are there a lack of reviews for these products?

I have a yamaha dspax763 - are the slimlines better?

I want 3d but not fussed about network functions so the 1403 seems the one for me.

Matt

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I cant comment on any slimline receivers other than to say there are more options out there. For example a couple from Pioneer the VSX-S500 or the VSX-S300 & a Cambridge Audio Azure 551R. The Pioneers do offer a bit more power than the Marantz you have in mind, this is not to say it will have the same control & sound quality from your speaker system. I would recommend an audition first with any short list you come up with before coming to a final decision.

Regards ....

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Your 5.1 system is powered by 3 different amplifications. I'm not sure if you'll get the best out of it due to this.

Presumably everyone uses 2 different amplifications in their 5.1 setup and some go that step further and use a stereo amp for front pair. So long as the processing is handled by just the one device I don't see the issue - but I may be wrong!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
I cant comment on any slimline receivers other than to say there are more options out there. For example a couple from Pioneer the VSX-S500 or the VSX-S300 & a Cambridge Audio Azure 551R. The Pioneers do offer a bit more power than the Marantz you have in mind, this is not to say it will have the same control & sound quality from your speaker system. I would recommend an audition first with any short list you come up with before coming to a final decision.

Regards ....

Unfortunately the Pioneers don't have front channel pre-outs. I think you're right in that I'll have to audition (if that's possible) as there doesn't seem many of us own a slim AV.

I could just keep the Yamaha - it just seems a little overkill if it's not powering the fronts. What do you think?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone comment on whether the Marantz slimline range is on-par with my DSPAX763 and will be a good buy for my centre and rears (power and processing) and RX6 (processing)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
Presumably everyone uses 2 different amplifications in their 5.1 setup

Do you mean the normal 5.1 AV amplifier and then the amplifier that is built into the (active) subwoofer? I myself would tend not to include the active subwoofer in a count of amplifiers and would regard a 5.1 system as having one amplifier.

Shame that I don't know enough to answer your main question! I have one of my own though - why do you want a slimline AV amplifier? Decor? Space? It might still get quite warm in a confined space, by the way.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
mattjax05 said:
Presumably everyone uses 2 different amplifications in their 5.1 setup

Do you mean the normal 5.1 AV amplifier and then the amplifier that is built into the (active) subwoofer? I myself would tend not to include the active subwoofer in a count of amplifiers and would regard a 5.1 system as having one amplifier.

Shame that I don't know enough to answer your main question! I have one of my own though - why do you want a slimline AV amplifier? Decor? Space? It might still get quite warm in a confined space, by the way.

I wouldn't count an active sub either but bigboss did in his 3 count!

The AV will only be powering the centre and rears and thought about scaling down. Size, decor etc is no problem. Saving electric maybe but more important if I can get a slimline AV without any degradation to sound I'll probably get one. But it seems no one has done any comparisons to see what performance category the Marantz 1403/1603 models fall into!

TRENDING THREADS