Need a Gigabit Ruter- Thinking of Asus or Airport Extreme

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I need a new router since my free EE one is too slow and the wifi signal is not strong enough. My brother in law said i need a Gigabit and he recommended the Asus that he has (N900 i think- £110).

I currently have 2 iphones, 2 macbooks and an airport express being used in the house along with a Synology Diskstation. For a little but more money, I can get an airport extreme which is gigabit enabled. Would Airport extreme be better since ive already got a few apple products and this would be easy to fit in with everything? or should I get an alternative brand like Asus?

thanks

daveh75

The Airport Extreme isn't a actually a very good rouer for it's money and lacks features and functionality of most 'SOHO' routers (and aimed at a completely different demographic)

Get the Asus N66U, it's what i use and would highly recommend it if you want a decently specced router.

Oh, and the Asus is a Gbit router btw.

scene

I've got an older NetGear WNDR3700 and I've found it pretty reliable - it's a/b/g/n which means if you've got an a/b/g/n or a/n card in your PC/laptop you can use the nice uncrowded a-band for wi-fi. The latest iteration - the N900 / WNDR4500 - gets pretty good reviews.

daveh75

A Web interface for setup and configuration, QoS, highly configurable parental controls and firewalling and lacks ftp/media server functionality for starters.

Then consider it only has 3 lan ports and a single USB, plus gets trounced in performance/throughput benchmarks by the like of Asus and other top SOHO routers.

But as I said they're aimed at different demographics, and these features may be of no interest to your average Apple user.

Whether you need these extras or not though, you're going to get a better spec'd/performing router than the Airport for less money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts