Airport Extreme Wireless - iTunes & Guest Acct

danny012345

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi ALL

I have an Apple MD031B/A Airport Extreme Wireless N Gigabit Cable Router, connected to my principle internet connector which is my Buffalo router.

I have set the Airport Extreme up in that I have created a separate wireless network which wirelessly connects to both my macbook and Apple TV.

I have enabled Guest account on the Airport Extreme with WPA2 Personal security.

I also have 3 win7 machines each with iTunes and Home sharing turned on.

When I try to find all the machines within my Apple TV device I can only see the macbook, when previously before I installed the Airport Extreme into my network I was able to see both my mac & the 3 win7 machines.

My question is .. Can I no longer see the 3 win7 machines with iTunes music on my Apple as well as the macbook ?

I also tried to connect my Apple TV to the Airport Extreme’s Guest network ( using the same WPA2 key ) but the Apple TV would only connect to the newly created network, the Guest network would not play ball.

Am I not understanding how the Guest network operates ?

When I look at the wireless client list on the Airport Extreme ( 2 ) devices are listed which is what I would expect.

Thanks for looking.
MacBook Pro, machine has latest OX installed

daveh75

The point of a guest network is to allow people internet access without giving them access to your LAN.

So any devices connected to the guest AP will not see any devices on your LAN.

danny012345

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

Sorry I should have been more clearer regarding the Guest network

I was un sure why I could not login to the Guest account when it is using the same WPA2 Personal key as the wi fi network I created out of the Airport ?

The router mode on the Airport extreme is set to (off bridge mode) in one of the many notes I read ( and I can not find it ) I think you can only share credentials with a Guest account with the router mode in DHCP & NAT .. but when I try that I get other problems stating that my IP Range is conflicting with the router

I am nearly done here i just need a little guidance getting over the line

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You can only have 1 dhcp server on your network. If both routers have dhcp server turned on - then you will end up with conflicting ips.

danny012345

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
The logic of what you say then is that within network radial I can only use (off bridge mode) with the Airport Extreme as my router will be using DHCP & NAT ?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Why do u want 2 wireless networks? Cant you connect the buffalo to the Airport using a cable via the WAN port?

I cant picture what you are trying to achieve.

danny012345

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
AnotherJoe You ask the obvious question .. its a long story which I am not going to bore you with

I have a buffalo router that has 3 win 7 machines ( one wireless ) ( 2 LAN ) .. I then connected the Airport extreme via a spare port out of the buffalo and have going via the extreme my Apple TV and my macbook ( both wireless )

What I failed to appreciate is that on my win7 network I can no longer see my macbook .. any idea how I can force my system to show my macbook within my win7 netwok places ?

danny012345

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
danny012345 said:
What I failed to appreciate is that on my win7 network I can no longer see my macbook .. any idea how I can force my system to show my macbook within my win7 netwok places ?

ODD thing is that the macbook has now appeared on my windows network

I think I am barking up the wrong tree with my first post - as I think it is tied to me not being able to run 2 DHCP severs at the same time .. I really want the Apple TV to run via the Airport extreme but in doing that I do not think I will be able to see my iTunes home sharing machines as they are controlled by the Buffalo router .. am I correct in that ??

danny012345

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Clearly I do not really understand how the Apple extreme works alongside my buffalo router ( I do now know as pointed out above that 2 DHCP servers ,can not run together on the same network as IP conflicts can/will occur ) but this morning the mac and the 3 win7 Machines ( all with iTunes ) turned up within my Apple TV perfect ! ...
This is with the Apple extreme Router Mode in ( off bridge mode ) but I can not use the Guest Network in that mode .. I suppose I should just quit while I am ahead

TRENDING THREADS