Neat Petite SX too small for room?

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I have just auditioned Neat Petite SX and really liked them - fast, lively, and with more bass than I was expecting. I'm considering a switch from Dynaudio Focus 110 as, although they also really suit my music (and hifi tastes), the fulsome bottom end seems to excite a room mode from time to time (I have mostly but not fully sorted this through adjusting speaker positioning). I'm in a flat with over-sensitive downstairs neighbours which means I listen a bit "on edge" at times which is clearly less than desirable.

Given the size of the room - 4 x 6m, speakers firing straight down lengthwise, currently positioned well into room - I was wondering if the Petites might be a bit swamped? They didn't sound as if they would be in the demo room, which was as wide if not as long and with a higher ceiling, and I will be able to home demo, but I thought I'd gather anyone's opinions before I arrange the demo.

And before the recommendations (for your favourite or the latest) other speakers come in, I have auditioned many of the £1k+ standmounts out there recently (I have PMC Twenty.22 at home at the moment, lovely but girlfriend says no, too big, hence looking for a small option).

John Duncan

I wouldn't have thought the Petite SX would be swamped per se, provided you have an amp with sufficient puff.

I had them at home for a while and they were outstanding, though chose PMC DB1is in the end because I found the Neats a bit imposing (they're wide and shallow, the PMCs are narrow and deeper) and because they didn't have grilles (though Neat were trying to make me some I think :-D).

A

Anonymous

I can recommend the Spendor SA1. They're an easy drive in terms of impedance variation but want plenty of volts, so 100W or so really. They don't go low but they have a lower bass hump that makes them sound bigger than they are. The finishes available really are the best I've ever seen in hifi and worth the price. I wish I could have afforded to keep mine for a second system.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if you like your dynos and your only concern to cranking them up is your neighbours below i would suggest some kind of dampening layer. apologies if you have thought about this but i would consider granite plinths for your stands with or without some commercialy available between floors sound proofing under your stands. this is basically a rubber mat and if you not a tenant and you own your place getting the whole listening room proofed (diy) is a lot less hassle than it appears.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
badly worded but my first thought was granite plinths on a sound deadining base layer as opposed to doing the whole listening room. im thinking if your stands are spiked directly into the floor boards this could be the problem and not really a speaker issue

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Igglebert, I have heard and like SA1s but feel they need a sub (not adding that yet!) for a lot of my music. Admittedly so might Petites, but less so.

Bluebrazil I think you are on the money. Speakers are on Partington Super Dreadnoughts on Blue Horizon spike shoes, so not into my landlord's floor! I totally agree there is an isolation issue, just yesterday I came across Auralex Gramma risers (in a discussion of acoustic treatments on another tent-shaped forum). I am going to buy one (£38 from Dolphin pro audio) and cut it in half, will then have two that fit perfectly beneath the stands, otherwise my girlfriend won't have them (the Auralex) in the living room! As for granite, I could get a couple of blocks from Robert Dygas etc. but I don't think these will decouple enough. Oranges and Lemons in Battersea where I demoed were using granite plinths from RS Acoustics that have little feet, but well over a hundred quid for two.

I will then be in a position to know if I still need (or fancy!) a speaker change (did love the sound of the Petite SX's). Will let you know how it goes. Will probably get the Petites in anyway, auditioning kit in store and especially at home is a great way to scratch the obsessive hifi itch :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
datay said:
I totally agree there is an isolation issue, just yesterday I came across Auralex Gramma risers (in a discussion of acoustic treatments on another tent-shaped forum). I am going to buy one (£38 from Dolphin pro audio) and cut it in half, will then have two that fit perfectly beneath the stands.

I'm not sure cutting it in half will work, as it may undermine its stability due to the sandwich construction...though you could ring Dolphin to confirm (better safe than... :cry: )

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
IMO the Dynaudios are fantatic speakers. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that size that sounds as 'big' (but I just love the Focus range, so slightly biased).

A

Anonymous

Helmut80 said:
IMO the Dynaudios are fantatic speakers. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that size that sounds as 'big' (but I just love the Focus range, so slightly biased).

The Focus 110 are very good but boy do you need some current to keep that bass in check. Avoiding bright sounding kit is necessary too. I auditioned them years ago with the original Cyrus 8 integrated amp and it was sooooo bright! Goodness knows what Cyrus did to that box. I quite liked them with the Primare I30. Anyway, I drift...

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I was going to call them but wonder if they have people in customer service who know the products (rather than just fill orders) but will find out. I suppose I could always buy another, wish they weren't twice the required size! The alternative is a Subdude, they are the right dimensions but more expensive. Sitting here with PMC Twenty.22s still on home demo and while the bass no longer fills the room (it's there at the same frequencies, just "less of it") I can feel it in my feet, which means the neighbours can hear it if they're their bedroom. When she gets the broom out, she means business too.

I really love the Focus 110s, it's just that my room doesn't at times. As I said, I feel I've largely sorted it posititioning-wise except for the odd track but as above the sound is travelling to places where others live... While my source is a CD8SE, the amp is now a Belles 150A V2 which has got them totally under control - plus providing detail and soundstage I didn't think was possible with them (previously had X Power which I was happy with, while I was considering adding another or getting the bargain Mono Xs I was offered excellent trade-in on the Belles so I made an amplification leap!). The Belles would clearly have no problems with the Petite SX either.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I've got the Neat Petit SX's and love the sound, albeit in a smaller room. However, I think they should be fine in your space. They have excellent bass, in my opinion, but in my smaller room, can sometimes sound a little boomy, so therefore ought to be better in a bigger room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts