Neat Petite SX for Naim Uniti?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
JohnDuncan:iPhone apps that cost 25 quid?

(That's Neat off my list
emotion-7.gif
)

chebby:plastic penguin:JohnDuncan:iPhone apps that cost 25 quid?

(That's Neat off my list
emotion-7.gif
)

The £25 is for the NaimUniti/UnitiQute App.

I realise that Chebby... I'm just flabbergasted that you have to spend extra £28 for something most of us expect as integral to purchasing modern speakers. In fact, my flabber has never been so gasted...

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Apologies for the slight hijack, but how do you guys think a Uniti would go with Dali Ikon 6's? I'm really liking the idea of this 'one box does all' fitting into my home cinema system. Not got many CD's left to FLAC to my Data Vault and was thinking of going down the Squeezebox Touch route, but if I can get a better result (and convenience) with the Naim, I'd be prepared to splash the cash. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

JohnDuncan:Maybe they're trying to buck your expectation, PP. You'll note that this discussion refers to the Petite, not the Motives - which come with grilles.

I know - this makes even more puzzling. If they're doing it with the Petites, why not adopt the same principle for the Motives?

((pp replies with exasperation and dread))

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Fisherking 145:Apologies for the slight hijack, but how do you guys think a Uniti would go with Dali Ikon 6's? I'm really liking the idea of this 'one box does all' fitting into my home cinema system. Not got many CD's left to FLAC to my Data Vault...

If you are going to exist in a state of CDlessness soon then the Naim UnitiQute is the one to go for. (£1350 compared to the CD equipped NaimUniti at £2200)

With 92db sensitivity I should think the Dali Ikon 6's would work with the UnitiQute's 30watt per channel*. I suppose it depends what levels of volume you want to drive them to.

*Stereophile's Dali Ikon 6 measurements showed the impedance never drops below 4.25 ohms and does not exceed 7 ohms which (along with their high efficiency) makes them a pretty easy load for lower powered amps.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:I realise that Chebby... I'm just flabbergasted that you have to spend extra £28 for something most of us expect as integral to purchasing modern speakers. In fact, my flabber has never been so gasted...

Because the speakers are designed and sold without grilles. If the buyer wishes to order a pair with grilles, they can be done as a custom order for that extra charge.

Andrew Everard:

plastic penguin:I realise that Chebby... I'm just flabbergasted that you have to spend extra £28 for something most of us expect as integral to purchasing modern speakers. In fact, my flabber has never been so gasted...

Because the speakers are designed and sold without grilles. If the buyer wishes to order a pair with grilles, they can be done as a custom order for that extra charge.

No disrespect to you, Andrew, this is just semantics. How does one design a speaker and NOT factor in the grilles? maybe in a studio situation, that's a logical approach. However, as they are design for home use (and the unpredictable nature of family life eg children etc. etc. etc.). For me this isn't good business acumen.

The £28.00 you mentioned is that a ballpark figure or exact?

I'd rather Neat add an extra £28.00 in the RRP and let the potential buyer(s) decide for themselves.

It's like Boeing promoting a new aircraft: "This is the most technological aircraft to date, but the wheels are an optional extra..."

I'm not trying to cause any friction, and the £28.00 in itself isn't the issue. It's the principle that bothers me.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There isn't a principle, and I am really not sure what point you are trying to make.

In common with some other manufacturers, Neat has chosen to design this model without grilles. Not to make a fast profit, not to rip anyone off - that's just how the speakers were designed.

In response to some requests (well, actually John's enquiry, I think), the company offered to make grilles available for the speakers, at a price of £28. A definite price, supplied to me by the company's PR person this afternoon, which price I also assume involves making the speakers with the fixings to attach the grilles.

It's not just semantics, it's the situation as it stands - rather than the analogy you suggest, perhaps more appropriate would be the idea of buying some hand-built sports car and finding it doesn't come with a radio as standard. The fact every Ford Fiesta does have such an accessory fitted wouldn't be relevant.

Andrew Everard:

There isn't a principle, and I am really not sure what point you are trying to make.

In common with some other manufacturers, Neat has chosen to design this model without grilles. Not to make a fast profit, not to rip anyone off - that's just how the speakers were designed.

In response to some requests (well, actually John's enquiry, I think), the company offered to make grilles available for the speakers, at a price of £28. A definite price, supplied to me by the company's PR person this afternoon, which price I also assume involves making the speakers with the fixings to attach the grilles.

It's not just semantics, it's the situation as it stands.

The point is simple: I wouldn't want to part with £1,300 and expect to buy the grilles as a separate entity, and as an additional cost.

A

Anonymous

Ok, to me it sounds like you're complaining that Neat have given you the choice on whether you buy them or not
emotion-7.gif
Put it this way, if you went to buy these and the salesman says ok that'll be £1,330.00 OR you can take them for £1,300 and not bother with the grilles how would you feel. It's all well and good to say Neat should just include them in the RRP but what about the people that don't want them. They're stuck paying money for something they don't need.

dlw20vt:

Ok, to me it sounds like you're complaining that Neat have given you the choice on whether you buy them or not
emotion-7.gif
Put it this way, if you went to buy these and the salesman says ok that'll be £1,330.00 OR you can take them for £1,300 and not bother with the grilles how would you feel. It's all well and good to say Neat should just include them in the RRP but what about the people that don't want them. They're stuck paying money for something they don't need.

Simple - you just pull the grilles off and discard them to one side. I always have done as and when the mood takes me.

Do you have children?

John Duncan

P, you're getting this out of proportion. They designed them without grilles, presumably for the audio connoisseur who thinks that grilles denigrate the sound. Because I said it was a deal breaker ( not the only one as it turned out), the head designer of the company made some, and is now offering them as a cost option.

Far from it being a rip off, that sounds like a responsive manufacturer I'd like to do business with. Much like you found with Leema, if I recall...

JohnDuncan:P, you're getting this out of proportion. They designed them without grilles, presumably for the audio connoisseur who thinks that grilles denigrate the sound. Because I said it was a deal breaker ( not the only one as it turned out), the head designer of the company made some, and is now offering them as a cost option. Far from it being a rip off, that sounds like a responsive manufacturer I'd like to do business with. Much like you found with Leema, if I recall...

Not out proportion, JD. I'm thinking of the practicalities above all else - you as a parent (one of which I believe is the same age as my daughter) I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.

Some people have the option of a dedicated listening room, but others like me and you (I believe) my hi-fi is located in the living room or in a space that's regularly used by the whole family. I would be extremely nervous about speanding a large wedge on speakers without grilles - especially with a marauding 7 year old flying around on her bike/scooter. She is very responsible and grown-up for her age, but at the end of the day she is still 7.

I like to think that any part of my hi-fi is relatively family-friendly. To spend £1,300 + grilles, however good they are, I can think several more practical options. Course, this won't chime with everyone's view, but that's the nature of the beast...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:dlw20vt:

emotion-7.gif

Simple - you just pull the grilles off and discard them to one side. I always have done as and when the mood takes me.

Do you have children?

No, I don't. But my lodger does which means every other weekend I'm subjected to having two adolescent girls running about the place. To be honest, when I first bought my Elites I did feel a little cheesed off having to pay extra for the grilles, especially as they look so naff with them on (although it gives them a retro look which is growing on me), but I think Neat are right to offer them without the grilles. They just don't suit them with them on and weren't designed to accomodate them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts