near filed monitor

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The listening situation: room only 10 m2, loudspeakers on stands approx. 135-140 cm from each other and also from the ears in listening position, tweeter on ear height. Room behind the loudspeaker is max. 20-24 cm, side walls are more than 90 cm away. I listen to very different music styles from classical music (orchestra, piano, violin) to hard rock (Deep Purple, Led Zepp. Pink Floyd, ..) and also to Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Jethro Tull,... I prefer balanced (tend to enjoy energetic highs), detailed sound. I am thinking in the price range of Epos M5i, M12i, Quad 11L2, 12L2, .. For the above conditions, do you recommend a pair of 11L2 or the 12L2 or M5i, M12i ? thank you, regards

Hi, In my humble opinion the speakers you mention would be a bit too much for the size of room you have and, as both are rear ported, the distance you mention from the rear wall would be rather critical. However its all down to personal taste. Try to audition both in your own home and also try something along the lines of the Dali Zensors.

A

Anonymous

Good as the quads are (I love em) they might be a little too civilized for some of your tastes. Also consider the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, they do most music genres well and have a very sophisticated sound for their price. At the very least they'll give you a reference with which to evaluate other speakers your going to audition and if spending the extra cash is worth it.

A

Anonymous

Here are a few ideas:

Totem Model 1 Signatures or Dreamcatchers (there was one available second hand somewhere recently...)

Proac 1SC (bit expensive but maybe within your price range if found second hand)

the Mark&Daniel range

Paradigm Atom Monitors

Era Design 3/4

ALR Jordans

Usher minis

peteAllen said:
Here are a few ideas:

Totem Model 1 Signatures or Dreamcatchers (there was one available second hand somewhere recently...)

Proac 1SC (bit expensive but maybe within your price range if found second hand)

the Mark&Daniel range

Paradigm Atom Monitors

Era Design 3/4

ALR Jordans

Usher minis

I am not exactly sure but I don't think he will find many on your list for his budget of approx. £400!

A

Anonymous

If your after nearfield I'd consider looking at pro monitors from yamaha, event, tannoy, mackie and Adam.

Pro monitor are absolutely great for normal hifi use aswell.

T

the record spot

This list is not complete without AVI Neutron Vs. Or Mission 751s!

A

Anonymous

The little Quad 11L2 and 12L2's are excellent. They have a very well engineered frequency response(very flat and even) and kind amp load(impedance) that would put many more expensive loudspeakers to shame plus a cabinet finish second to none. You don't mention which amp and source you will be using, however, the specs rate them at 86dB and 88dB respectively so anything from about 20W upwards should produce decent sound levels. They are rear ported but you seem to have sufficient room behind to allow for this. As always you should have a demo first to see if you like their presentation, on the end of the system you will be using-maybe a home dem if possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts