Nas and Sonos question

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello all

So now that Ive decided to get this synology DS212J Nas and the sonos ZP90, sonos play 5 and 3 all my media will obviously be stored on the Nas but does that now mean that the Nas will have to be on to play all my music with the sonos ? Also will my laptop still have to be on ? as thats where my Itunes is installed and my understanding is that the sonos uses itunes, or does the sonos access itunes over the internet ?

Ive also heard that its ok to leave the nas on all the time anyway, is that correct ? I did want to do away with using the laptop altogether, apart from transfering media from that to the nas so it would be a pain if the laptop had to be on too.

Sorry about all the questions and my lack of knowledge on this
smiley-embarassed.gif

Thanks

Joe

michael hoy

You will need to store your music files on the NAS, Sonos will find the NAS in the list of available items and you can select your music from there.

If you are using Apple formats MP3 or ALAC etc you could move your media library from your laptop and store this on the NAS pointing iTunes to this new storage point.

Or you could convert the files to Flac and put these on the NAS and let Sonos just use these files.

TargetDummy

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Just to add my experience... I've has Sonos now for a few years and used to have my music on the main desktop PC ripped in FLAC. The Sonos Bridge was connected to the PC too. Everything worked fine but I had to leave the PC switched on.

I recently bought a Netgear NAS, connected it to the router (Netgear WNDR3700) and transferred all the FLAC files across, the aim being to have access to the music without having to have the PC switched on.

Performance was terrible - drop outs, stuttering etc. Further investigation revealed that routers are not necessarily very good switches (even gigabit ones like the one I have), so I installed a gigabit network switch which is connected between all my devices and the router.

Result - perfect Sonos experience with FLAC playback without the PC being on. I've also learnt a lot about home networks! You don't need to spend a fortune either, the switch that made such a difference was £25 from a well known high street retailer

A

Anonymous

I am just wondering if I need a router with internet for Sonos Net? I am going to buy 2 Play:5, 1 Play:3 and a CONNECT to connect my NAS. Do I really need Internet and a Wifi already set up? I am a bit confused about the whole Sonos Net and standart Wifi....

I am asking, because there is NO internet at the place the Sonos will be set up.

Btw, can I connect the NAS with the Play5 and the ethernet port? (no CONNECT- saves me money)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The Sonos devices usually require a router to provide them with their ip addresses via dhcp, however it will work without a router, using auto-ip, but you'd be strongly advised to set the system up somewhere else first where you do have internet access, as all your devices must be running the same version of the firmware and you can't guarantee that will be the case out of the box and if they don't match it won't work, so internet access is required to allow them all to update to the same version.

As for the NAS, yes you can connect it directly to any of the sonos devices Ethernet ports but I don't know how well it would function without a router to provide an ip address. Given the amount of money you're spending I'd suggest a few extra quid on a cheap router without internet access would probably be a sensible investment.

A

Anonymous

OK, Thank you.

I guess I am going with an older D-Link Wifi Router. No gigabit on board. Does it matter? And the set-up process will take place in a "internet environment".

Just to be sure. Would this combination work after the updates, ...:

(NAS)----(no Internet Wifi Router)----(Sonos Bridge) (Play:5)----(Old Radio)

(Standalone Play:5) (Standalone Play:3)

-----: means wired connection

With this combination I can get my NAS music to all of my Speakers I guess? Do I have to connect the NAS directly into a Sonos device (I guess not)? Or is the connected NAS to the same Router as the connected Bridge enough?

And if I feel the need to listen to some radio I can connect the radio to my Play:5 and get the sound to every other speaker in the system? So I do not need a Sonos Connect.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
quorki said:
I guess I am going with an older D-Link Wifi Router. No gigabit on board. Does it matter?

No, the Sonos devices only have 100Mb ethernet ports.

Just to be sure. Would this combination work after the updates, ...:

(NAS)----(no Internet Wifi Router)----(Sonos Bridge) (Play:5)----(Old Radio)

(Standalone Play:5) (Standalone Play:3)

-----: means wired connection

Yes that'll be fine, if you find the old router is struggling to cope you could even wire the NAS to the Bridge ethernet port (it has two, so one to the router one to the NAS), this will allow the network traffic to bypass router's backbone and go straight into the Sonos network.

With this combination I can get my NAS music to all of my Speakers I guess?

Yes, although I assume by "Standalone" you actually mean "wireless"? If you set up the Play:5 and Play:3 as truly standalone systems (ie not the same Sonos system as the Bridge) then no, they won't be able to access the NAS. In fact they won't be able to do anything much. Add them to the setup after the Bridge and they'll be fine though.

Do I have to connect the NAS directly into a Sonos device (I guess not)? Or is the connected NAS to the same Router as the connected Bridge enough?

As I said you can do it either way, it shouldn't make any difference but there may be performance benefits to connecting the NAS's ethernet directly into the Bridge, depending on how old the router is.

And if I feel the need to listen to some radio I can connect the radio to my Play:5 and get the sound to every other speaker in the system?

Yes, although be aware that the Play:5 has a 3.5mm jack input, not the standard twin RCA phono inputs, so you'll need to ensure you have the appropriate cable. You could even configure the Play:5 to automatically switch to the line-in as soon as you plug the radio in, this isn't the default setting though, so you'll need to setup that up beforehand.

So I do not need a Sonos Connect.

No, the Sonos Connect is designed to Connect to an existing Amp and Speakers in the main, it's no different to any other Zoneplayer as far as inputs are concerned (apart from the Play:3 which doesn't have any inputs).

Incidentally you haven't mentioned how you're intending to control any of this lot?

michael hoy

TargetDummy said:
Just to add my experience... I've has Sonos now for a few years and used to have my music on the main desktop PC ripped in FLAC. The Sonos Bridge was connected to the PC too. Everything worked fine but I had to leave the PC switched on.

I recently bought a Netgear NAS, connected it to the router (Netgear WNDR3700) and transferred all the FLAC files across, the aim being to have access to the music without having to have the PC switched on.

Performance was terrible - drop outs, stuttering etc. Further investigation revealed that routers are not necessarily very good switches (even gigabit ones like the one I have), so I installed a gigabit network switch which is connected between all my devices and the router.

Result - perfect Sonos experience with FLAC playback without the PC being on. I've also learnt a lot about home networks! You don't need to spend a fortune either, the switch that made such a difference was £25 from a well known high street retailer

Using a switch or Hub was recommended to me by Cyrus when I demoed their streamer.

Connect the router to the switch and all other devices into the switch.

A

Anonymous

Yes, although I assume by "Standalone" you actually mean "wireless"? If you set up the Play:5 and Play:3 as truly standalone systems (ie not the same Sonos system as the Bridge) then no, they won't be able to access the NAS. In fact they won't be able to do anything much. Add them to the setup after the Bridge and they'll be fine though.

I meant wireless but nothing wired connected to it. Sorry about the confusion.

As I said you can do it either way, it shouldn't make any difference but there may be performance benefits to connecting the NAS's ethernet directly into the Bridge, depending on how old the router is.

Great! I will do it this way to be sure.

Yes, although be aware that the Play:5 has a 3.5mm jack input, not the standard twin RCA phono inputs, so you'll need to ensure you have the appropriate cable. You could even configure the Play:5 to automatically switch to the line-in as soon as you plug the radio in, this isn't the default setting though, so you'll need to setup that up beforehand.

Should be OK with the inputs.

Incidentally you haven't mentioned how you're intending to control any of this lot?

I will control it with iPad/iPhone. (Sonos App) Therefore I set up an Wlan Network.

Thank you so much for your help :clap:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
quorki said:

I meant wireless but nothing wired connected to it. Sorry about the confusion.

No worries, you'll be fine then.

I will control it with iPad/iPhone. (Sonos App) Therefore I set up an Wlan Network.

Yes, you'll need the wi-fi router to allow you to do that, Android devices can access the Sonos wireless network directly but iDevices can't (Apple don't permit the level of access to the hardware that Sonos would need to be able to do that).

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I already have the HP proliant microserver (with cashback) and have installed home server 2011.
Although for the sonos this would be fine,
I have purchased a synology ds112+ drive.
It should arrive soon.

I dont need to stream anything else except lossless music from a NAS/server to the SONOS.
But I thought I would buy the synology NAS drive as a hobby.
With me being stuck at home with lots of time, I should compare the two, and become more familiar with variety of options.
Its an expensive move, but better to make use of my time.

Are there any considerable differences (except mirroring, backing up and mutiple drives).
I suppose Im just collecting junk.
By the time I get to know how to use it, it may be obsolete (or there abouts).

NGlaister

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm just about to invest in the sonos system and need help on itunes/nas

My itunes libary is currently loaded with compressed mp3 files ranging from 192-320bps which i want to leave alone for my ipod

If i'm going to rip all my CD's again as i want them in a lossless format, would I be better buying a NAS drive and putting all the lossless files straight into that ?

Also with new music how would i transfer from the NAS to my itunes library into a smaller files for the ipod

Does the NAS plug straight into the Sonos and do you still get all the artwork showing on your ipad controller ?

Thanks

Nev

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
NGlaister said:
Hi,

I'm just about to invest in the sonos system and need help on itunes/nas

My itunes libary is currently loaded with compressed mp3 files ranging from 192-320bps which i want to leave alone for my ipod

If i'm going to rip all my CD's again as i want them in a lossless format, would I be better buying a NAS drive and putting all the lossless files straight into that ?

Also with new music how would i transfer from the NAS to my itunes library into a smaller files for the ipod

Does the NAS plug straight into the Sonos and do you still get all the artwork showing on your ipad controller ?

Thanks

Nev

hi nev

i have just re-ripped 600 cds to ALAC after originally having an 320mp file library. I used itunes and alac simply because my partner uses an ipod and she had no desire to learn a new way of syncing her music. I know others may recommend other software and the use of flac.

Sonos needs access to your library, whether that be through having your laptop on or (more easily) having a nas connected to the router. I use a nas as it consumes less power than my pc, and sits quietly in a cupboard under the stairs ready 24/7. (actually router-sonos bridge-nas seems to give me best reliabilty from my bog standard sky router)

On my 2 laptops and pc, i have just directed the itunes library to the nas files, and again with sonos direct it to the nas files. Both itunes and sonos works fine. Whenever i rip a cd on hte laptop, it is saved straight to the nas.

As far as artwork goes, sonos doesn't tend to pick up the auto itunes artwork due to the way itunes embeds the info, however it is quite simple to add the artwork within itunes in a way that sonos will pick up the artwork. It takes a few extra seconds after the album is ripped, but it's simply enough. This ensures your ipad controller (or android or pc) shows accurate artwork.

As far as a seperate 320kb mp3 library for your ipod, i don't really think it's essential because the recent itunes release allow you to reduce sample rate whilst syncing. So your library remains lossless, but your ipod has a lower 'quality' version transferred onto it. I belive the first time you sync this way, the downsampling 'on the fly' can take much longer than your usual sync, but if you only replace portions of the ipod music when you sync then future times are much more respectable.

hope this helps

mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts