Nano Confusion

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having been stuck in the world of minidisc since the mid-90s I decided it was time to step into the world of mp3. I am deliberating a new nano and have been considering what i might need to accompany it namely;

itrip, audio cable for home stereo, maybe speaker dock, mains charger

After several hours of googling i am more confused than i started. Even audio cables are confusing me - looked at Belkin who appear to do nickel-plated or gold-plated one. Similarly there are different models of itrips and i don't have a scooby-doo which one's compatible or what to go for...

Advice warmely welcomed!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, the first thing to clear up is exactly how/where do you intend to use your nano? ie Do you want to plug it into an existing hi-fi system, or use a dedicated iPod dock with its own speakers? And I presume you want to use it in your car as you mention an iTrip.

The Chord Company iChord mini jack is what you need for connecting the nano to a conventional hi-fi system - we gave it 5 stars, and it's only £50, so that should get you started.

Then there's a huge range of iPod docks available, many of which will charge your nano while it's playing, so can you give an indication of the size of room you intend to use it in, and how much you want to spend?

As for in-car use, an FM transmitter that plugs into the nano and then sends the music to an unused FM frequency on your car radio should do the trick. Monster, Belkin and others make a wide range to choose from.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

Re ipod dock - the room would be fairly small (11'0 x 9'0). I just wanted something versatile and portable that I can move rooms or take on holiday so I can get the tunes when i'm not in vacinity of the hifi. Perhaps up to £100 or so.

Re hifi - I have reasonable quality separates (Marantz amp) and wanted the option to play through the hifi if the sound quality wasn't compromised that much. I didn't want to spend as much as £50 though. Are the cheaper (£15) cables a waste of time?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts