NaimUniti - long term view

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

JohnDuncan:Isn't dbPoweramp Windows only? In the brief couple of hours I had the Qute in situ (Mrs JD: "put the CD player back!!!!!!!!!"), it appeared to work exactly the same, yes.

You're right, I think Asset is self-standing and is mainly Windows Home Server compatible, but can work with Mac OS X as well.

John Duncan

k. Worth looking at then when I try to bring the two strands of ripping and serving together. I can rip on a windows machine of needs be. Twonky seems good value though at about fifteen quid. I can see myself actually using two servers - one for FLAC that is artist/album/quality focussed, and one that just accesses the iTunes content for parties (which iTunes DJ and remote app is quite handy for). Course when remoteless works on a Mac I'll chuck it all away
emotion-1.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:the_lhc:JohnDuncan:the_lhc:I really don't understand the requirement for something this (apparently) sophisticated for server-side software to be running (ie Twonky and the like). I guess I'm spoiled by Sonos as all that wants is a shared directory, so minimal faffage there, so why is it, exactly, that something that appears to be much more powerful than the Sonos Zoneplayers needs software to be running on the storage device?

Dunno. Probably to do with the fact that they've implemented the UPnP standard, which requires a server running, whereas Sonos have gone proprietary (albeit in a clever and effective way).

Reading from a standard CIFS/SMB share, not exactly proprietary is it?

How does Sonos manage playlists? In its own, proprietary way by any chance?

I don't care, because I don't need to care, I have no involvement in that. When my music was on my PC I installed the desktop controller software, it configured the share for me and I never used the software again, when I moved to a NAS I just pointed Sonos at the share on the NAS with the remote controller, that was it. Requires a modicum of sense I suppose but either way seems to be less trouble than you've been having.

I'm not arguing that the Sonos way is not effective, but so is UPnP. Many ways to skin a cat, I say, whether it be file share or Squeezeserver or A.N.Other UPnP/DLNA box. Would you argue that having a DLNA client in a Sony BDP-S370 is superfluous, and that all devices should just be able to read file shares?

Well, why not? Wouldn't that be easier (and cheaper, perhaps, your storage doesn't need to be so smart)?

John Duncan

I think the 'trouble I've been having' is primarily down to the fact that I wanted to play my Apple Lossless content - if I had all my music stored in a format that the Uniti played natively (WAV or FLAC for example), Twonky would've worked straight off and it would all have been simple.

John Duncan

Nick21:A great reveiw JD It looks like a very interesting solution. But above my tech ability with all the set up!

Sorry, I meant to reply to this earlier on. To be honest, it was absolutely no trouble getting my Mac and the UNiti talking to each other - a five minute job. My difficulties appear to have stemmed primarily from my wanting to play Apple Lossless on it - if I'd been starting from scratch and ripped all my content to FLAC (or other format which the Uniti plays natively - mp3, AAC, WAV), I suspect the whole thing would have been much smoother, so do bear that in mind.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Gerrardasnails:....do you think that for the cost of the Uniti, you could beat it with a separate DAC and amp?

...and an FM/DAB/Internet tuner and a CD player and a direct to digital iPod 'transport' (a seperate CD5i costs over £900 and the Naimuniti has a slightly better DAC derived from the old CD5X), oh and built in wireless.

Just in terms of a seperate DAC and amp I could do a little bit better with something like my Nait 5i and a seperate £500 DAC (maybe) and save a packet. But that is not the point.

The NaimUniti is not just an amp with a DAC. It is a complete package with very little compromise in quality compared to buying seperate equivalents.

To match the 'Uniti - roughly speaking - you would need at least...

Naim Nait 5i (£795), Naim CD5i (£925), Denon TU1800DAB DAB/FM tuner (£250), good quality DAC (£250 - £500), Onkyo ND-S1 iPod transport (£140 or a more expensive Wadia) and some wireless box or two.

You would also need two sets of good quality interconnects (for the DAC and the tuner) of at least Chord Crimson standard, and a rack to house it all.

I see your point Chebby. I was asking personally as I don't need a cd player, tuner, iPod dock etc, just amp and DAC and an easy way of playing my music. I guess unless you want/need the full shebang, you are paying extra for no reason. I can't imagine not being able to access my library on my large screen now either.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:The truthful answer is 'almost certainly', but I'd be looking at the Audiolab 8200 pair as well.
The Audiolab 8200CDQ > Quad 11L Active combo looks tempting for the money and features.

A

Anonymous

Fascinating thread.... I am using a Uniti with Eyeconnect (works with rather jumbled listings) and have tried most UPnP servers available on the Mac. I may try Asset if I can get it to work with WINE or Crossover Mac.

The Uniti is a brilliant bit of kit but UPnP is still ropey in its operation - particularly at the server end.

The n-stream is pricey and still feels like beta software - especially in comparison with Apple's Remote 2 software.

Anyone know another UPnP server for Mac that they love?

Anyone use a MacMini via optical into their Uniti?

John Duncan

Wolfit:The Uniti is a brilliant bit of kit but UPnP is still ropey in its operation - particularly at the server end.

Agreed. I'm finding that Twonky is working better as a server, though it doesn't transcode (not at lossless quality anyway, there's a 'transcode to mp3' tickbox that I haven't ticked), so all your content needs to be Uniti-friendly. This has meant ripping some of my content into FLAC, at which point it worked brilliantly. Over time I'll migrate it all, though not sure how Twonky manages playlists, if at all - I may end up keeping two libraries, a lossless FLAC one and a lesser iTunes one for parties and the like.

elevensheep

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Wolfit:I am using a Uniti with Eyeconnect (works with rather jumbled listings)

I find the listings are sorted by how they're sorted in iTunes...

John, I read somewhere that you are considering replacing your Neats? What do you have in mind?

I have the uniti, and i am tossing up between PMC Db1i, Proac D1 and may be the Neats.

John Duncan

I only borrowed the Neats for a few weeks. They sounded fabulous, but I had issues with the size of them (well, Mrs JD had issues with the size of them), so am still considering other options. I'm leaning towards the DB1s because, although I haven't heard them on a Uniti, a) I had some DB1+s previously and know them and love them and b) Andrew has heard them on the Uniti and has been impressed.

Bit expensive though, and whilst price is not so much of an issue, being a good Scot, value is and I have a sneaking suspicion that some EB Acoustic EB1s might do the job just about as well for half the price.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I only borrowed the Neats for a few weeks. They sounded fabulous, but I had issues with the size of them (well, Mrs JD had issues with the size of them), so am still considering other options. I'm leaning towards the DB1s because, although I haven't heard them on a Uniti, a) I had some DB1+s previously and know them and love them and b) Andrew has heard them on the Uniti and has been impressed.

Bit expensive though, and whilst price is not so much of an issue, being a good Scot, value is and I have a sneaking suspicion that some EB Acoustic EB1s might do the job just about as well for half the price.

I reckon you're right.

A

Anonymous

Optical out of MBP works well and has the added advantages of Remote 2 which the rest of the family loves.

I'm not sure if the SQ is better or worse that UPnP - just different.

May use Halide Bridge rather than optical - would like a MacMini Server - (extra HD) if I go down this route - shame they don't do a black one. I am trying to keep things simple and minimal.

Will try Twonky and flac although I like the way itunes manages the organization. Have considered a Vortexbox Appliance/Raid to manage all that for me.

Have tried Neats - currently using MA Silver RS6s which sound good - tempted to go either B&W CM8 or Naim N-Sats /Sub.

N-stream not bad but would like album art and a bit more speed - may hardwire the Uniti.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Why not use something like Parallels on your iMac? It'd allow a whole host of other options e.g. TVersity, foobar2000 uPNP server, etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts