Naim vs Marantz vs Arcam

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help wanted on a wireless set up. I have a study / office at home and wanted to hook up a second 'system' for use in that room. I had looked at a NaimUniti, but then noticed the apple airplay products and was all set to get a Marantz CR603, until i noticed at the last moment it didn't have wi-fi! I liked the idea of being able to wirelessly stream music to this second systems, but now not sure which is the right way to go. Kit in use: - Sony laptop (Z series vaio) - itunes - 2500 CD's stored on the laptop (256 ACC format) - iphone 4 & ipad - Wireless network in the house - I tend to keep about 300 CD's to hand in study (then rip and store as buy more stuff) Running a wired connection upto the study is out of the question, hence ideally wanted something with wi-fi. I'm put off a little of the Naimuniti and Arcam Neo as don't believe i can wirelessly send the tracks over in the apple format, and thinking some on the fly conversation is going to cause my laptop to slow right down (after all i'm using 100% while in study for work). Docking the iphone is not much help as it only holds a faction on the total library of tracks. I had thought of getting an airport express and using that as the mechanism to wirless stream tracks from laptop to systems, however, am i right in thinking this would negate the benefits of the better DAC's in the Arcam and Naim as would convert before they got their hands on it? Any help / thoughts welcome on best way forward? PS: i know the 256 ACC is not optimal, trade off on storage space (i work away from home a fair bit so good to have portable music library) and also DSLR photos eat space as well!

John Duncan

A Uniti will play AAC, it just won't play Apple Lossless.

An Airport Express has an optical out which can be fed into a Uniti, but not a Neo - which I've always thought was a major oversight - and produces spectacular results with both lossless and lesser-bitted material.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jimvicks: - itunes - 2500 CD's stored on the laptop (256 ACC format)

- iphone 4 & ipad

- Wireless network in the house

- I tend to keep about 300 CD's to hand in study (then rip and store as buy more stuff)

Running a wired connection upto the study is out of the question, hence ideally wanted something with wi-fi. I'm put off a little of the Naimuniti and Arcam Neo as don't believe i can wirelessly send the tracks over in the apple format, Excerpt from the NaimUniti specifiations... "Audio Formats Supported Internet radio (WMA, MP3 streams, MMS), Playlists (M3U, PLS), MP3, AAC (up to 320 kbps, CBR/VBR)"

So your 256K AAC iTunes stuff should be fine.

A

Anonymous

Just want to make sure i have this right. Assuming i buy the Uniti:

- I can wireless stream the ACC files to the uniti from my laptop (as long as both on my home network)

- If i add an airport express via optical, i get the option of using airplay from all my devices (laptop, iphone and i pad)

Out of question, which would be expected to give the best quality sound?

A

Anonymous

Another solution to comtemplate...

A Naim Uniti can wirelessly stream flac via dlna, so I would suggest re-ripping ur cds to flac so u can stream lossless without having to use any extra equipment.

AAC is not going to get the best out of something like a Uniti. Make the switch now and move to a better supported format. You can even get flac players for your iphone/ipad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts