NAIM Vs Hegel Vs Lyngdorf

Ceand

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
I've not seen this 3 way comparison anywhere so wondered if anyone here has listened to the NAIM Uniti Atom against the Hegel H120 or Lyngdorf TDAI-1120? All around a similar price but I'm guessing there may be significant differences in audio presentation...

Ceand

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
Managed to find a comparison between M10, Atom and Lyngdorf which the Lyngdorf edged. I would settle for a demo of the Naim and Lyngdorf but that’s not available in my area... Wonder why What Hifi has not reviewed the TDAi 1120. If it’s as much a game changer as it seems, it must be worth a review at least!

Managed to find a comparison between M10, Atom and Lyngdorf which the Lyngdorf edged. I would settle for a demo of the Naim and Lyngdorf but that’s not available in my area... Wonder why What Hifi has not reviewed the TDAi 1120. If it’s as much a game changer as it seems, it must be worth a review at least!
what hifi only review what they are sent to review.....

Ceand

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, that’s very helpful except my leaning towards the Lyngdorf has been set back by your experience. I can only imagine there was a problem with the amp or the signal it was being fed with. The local dealer does home demonstrations so that’s definitely the way to go...

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, that’s very helpful except my leaning towards the Lyngdorf has been set back by your experience. I can only imagine there was a problem with the amp or the signal it was being fed with. The local dealer does home demonstrations so that’s definitely the way to go...
He ended up buying the Lyngdorf after a home demo!

"".......if my choice right now is H120 vs 1120, it’s an easy call. The H120 is a fantastic product as are all the Hegel products I’ve heard but in my room, the lack of furniture and large windows has revealed the value of room correction. Even with RP disabled though, the 1120 was the better product for me'

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceand and Al ears

Ameetc

Jul 3, 2021
Visit site
Andy have you considered a standard naim integrated amp even the s5i plus a streamer ? The guys at Sevenoaks seemed to think the s5i blows away even the nova …?

There will be a number of factors in a comparison like this that will peak personal preferences. Firstly, the Naim is a lifestyle product. its design is first and foremost to look good and offer all types of streaming. The Lyngdorf’s strong point is it’s room correction. The Hegel is a straight up hi-fi amplifier. The latter two are up against each other with different types of amplification - Class D vs Class AB respectively. With regards to amplification types, not only will personal preference play a part here (some prefer the neutrality of D, some the usually less neutral but more forgiving AB), but also how these two types of amplifiers pair with their loudspeakers. I have loudspeakers that don’t pair too well with Class D amplifiers, and no EQ is going to change that.

Personally, I was leaning more towards Class D five years ago or so (and I still do like some of them), but since discovering Hegel, I’ve leaned back towards Class AB. The Class D examples I like now tend to be the more expensive ones, which I guess is because the manufacturers have more budget to really explore the possibilities.

On the subject of room correction, you have to work out whether this is something that I’d a good thing for you or not. Personally, I find a lot of wild claims and suggestions surrounding room correction. Room correction doesn’t know what your loudspeakers sound like, and it doesn’t know what your room sounds like, it’s working to a target curve, or a curve you preset. It can produce a more neutral listening experience for your single point listening position, but once you start widening the listening area to be corrected, it is starting to ‘average’ things out, so you’re getting a less accurate sound over a larger area.

The way I look at it is that if you went to a dinner party somewhere and a string quartet was playing in the room, you wouldn’t EQ them to sound great at every table, would you? It still sounds great, the instruments playing still sound like they should.

The choice of these three items will rely on the speakers they will be paired to, the room they will be in, and of course, your own personal preferences.

Ceand

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
Finally made a decision and went for the TDAi 1120 on the basis that 1. It sounded very nice before Room Correction and 2. Even better once my lounge had been ‘learned’. Bass resonance was removed and upper mids and highs were prominent and sweet.
if anyone in a similar position with less than ideal speaker position due to domestic constraints, then I can highly recommend the Lyngdorf…

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Finally made a decision and went for the TDAi 1120 on the basis that 1. It sounded very nice before Room Correction and 2. Even better once my lounge had been ‘learned’. Bass resonance was removed and upper mids and highs were prominent and sweet.
if anyone in a similar position with less than ideal speaker position due to domestic constraints, then I can highly recommend the Lyngdorf…
I’ve had mine for 2 weeks now and I love it.

the way Room Perfect integrates the 2 subs is unreal, the bass is fast, taunt and has never sounded better. It’s sounds great across the full range. Very happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts