Naim UnitiLite

John Duncan

Nice idea. Same sort of power as the old Uniti, slim, attractive pricing, CD built in for Mrs JD.

Only concern would be that CD tray, which if it's as shaky as that in the HDX would have me pining for the old swing-out thing again...

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting for uniqute with 50 watts, to tick all my boxes. And then unilite arrives with 50 watts, but with CD tray, which I don’t need. Also the same price as uniqute. Hhmm.....

It is very tempting. Why NAIM can’t ditch CD and make uniqute or unilite 50-70 watts?

I wander will unilite sound as good as uniqute? If it does, I will stick black tape on CD tray and buy it.

Looking forward to have a audition.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
dariushifi said:
Why NAIM can’t ditch CD and make uniqute or unilite 50-70 watts?

Just get a NAC 172XS and find yourself a cheap power amp to stick on the end. You can always find plenty of second hand Naim on fleabay. I reckon the NAC 172 with a nice used NAP140 would make an unbeatable streaming system for the money, and blow a UnitiQute into the weeds.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:

Nice idea. Same sort of power as the old Uniti, slim, attractive pricing, CD built in for Mrs JD.

Only concern would be that CD tray, which if it's as shaky as that in the HDX would have me pining for the old swing-out thing again...
Same here with my wife. She prefers using CD on the M-CR603. (She hated having to remember the magnetic puck on my old CD5i and hated the swing out door).

Anyway, I have decided to buy one of these. (Probably with the FM/DAB option.)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
John Duncan said:

Same here with my wife. She prefers using CD on the M-CR603. (She hated having to remember the magnetic puck on my old CD5i and hated the swing out door).

Congrats on the new purchase :) Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it.

chebby said:
John Duncan said:

You rascal... when did you decide this?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I missed out on the Uniti twice.

First when I bought my old Naim Nait 5i/CD5i/NAT05 system. The NaimUniti was announced a short while afterwards for it's original price of only about £100 more than I had spent. (Not soon enough for me to exchange it all though.)

Secondly, when I sold up my Naim system the price of the NaimUniti had reached £2495. I decided it was a step too far and - although I had the money - I didn't want to spend everything on one box. So I got my present system and a new TV and some furniture and a new Blu-ray player and a holiday and money to re-decorate the lounge instead. (And a bit left over that paid for an MOT/service on the wife's car and a new Dell Vostro PC.)

At £1650 the UnitiLite is £300 cheaper than even the original launch price of the first version NaimUniti. So this is possible.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Just read the news on the 'Lite'. Seems very interesting, the only thing preventing me from buying one is the additional cost for FM radio... and the need for PMC or neat speakers.

Are Rega bringing out an all-in-one?

1) There are plenty of other options than PMC or Neat. (And I know, from experience, that my Rega R3s work well with a Naim entry level amp.)

2) I have no idea if/when/whether Rega will bring out their own 'all-in-one'. It took them until 1996 to bring out their first CD player so I won't be holding my breath.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Just read the news on the 'Lite'. Seems very interesting, the only thing preventing me from buying one is the additional cost for FM radio... and the need for PMC or neat speakers.

Are Rega bringing out an all-in-one?

There are plenty of other options than PMC or Neat. (And I know, from experience, that my Rega R3s work well with a Naim entry level amp.)

Yeah... the point I was making is it would have to be a wholesale change in 'one hit'. I've read so much about Rega/Naim synergy...

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
Looks a nice piece of kit.
What would be a sensible price point for speakers to use with this ? Hope WHF can suggest a few when they come to review it.

I am surprised that Cyrus has never brought out an All-in-one, but then I suppose they would have to re-design their typical brick shape

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
kev g said:

What would be a sensible price point for speakers to use with this ? Hope WHF can suggest a few when they come to review it.

I am surprised that Cyrus has never brought out an All-in-one.
They have. But not one with a CD player built in as far as I know...

http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product/streaming-music-players/Streamline₂

John Duncan

EDIT -
chebby said:
kev g said:

I am surprised that Cyrus has never brought out an All-in-one.
They have. But not one with a CD player built in as far as I know...

http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product/streaming-music-players/Streamline₂

Wasn't there a CD-Tuner-Preamp that just needed a power amp adding? I forget it's name (for it was a name rather than a number).

EDIT - Quattro, that was it. Nearest they got to an all-in-one I guess.

kev g said:
Looks a nice piece of kit. What would be a sensible price point for speakers to use with this

Unless Naim have changed the tonal qualities, then the usual protaganists/price still apply: £500-£1,200. Epos, B&W to PMC DB1is, Neat Motive 3 or perhaps Totem...

Although I've found that Dyns sound pretty good with Naim.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:

I have seen 'top off' pics of the HDX using a Samsung SH-S222 22X DVD re-writer that costs about £12 - £20 (depending on who you buy it from).

I have also seen pics of one using a DVS DRL-200 DVD re-writer. (Not sure of price at the time as these are no longer made.)

Basically Korean made, generic, DVD re-writer drives that don't cost a lot and are probably reliable and cost little to replace.

I expect I have something very similar in my computers or even the Marantx. (Although my M-CR603 CD mechanism is super-slick and not at all wobbly.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts