Naim Uniti & Uniti Qute

amwarren13

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
hello all,

I am looking for some recommendations for speakers to run off my UnitiQute, currently have a pair of Monitor Audio Radius 180's, and do not feel they are doing the Naim justice.

I am potentially thinking of extending to a UnitiSystem, so some speakers for the Uniti may be needed further down the line.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be very welcome.

Best regards

Ashley Warren

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Kinda depends on your budget, but some of the suggestions we've had here in the past include PMC DB1is, Neat Petites or Neat Motive 2s, KEF Q300s...

Just been using the Uniti at home with a pair of Monitor Audio GX100s I have in for test in a future issue of Gramophone, and they work very well indeed, too.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
True Blue said:
PMC DB1i or GB1i heard both on the end of a qute, very impressive.

Agreed: JD, late of this parish, tried a variety of speakers on the end of his NaimUniti, and in the end bought himself a pair of DB1is.

amwarren13

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for your input all - very helpful. I like the look of the PMC DB1i's - can these be wall mounted or would that be sacrilege ?

Andrew btw - when are you going to test the Denon DBP-2012UD, very pleased with it, but looking at the reviews of the Marantz UD7006, maybe wish I had waited for this ?!

regards

Ashley

amwarren13 said:
I like the look of the PMC DB1i's - can these be wall mounted or would that be sacrilege ?

I'm afraid I was going to say it would be sacrilege, Ashley. But better than opine, I looked at the owner's manual on the PMC website, and it says:-

Tailor made mounting brackets are available from your PMC dealer, they affix to the DB1i with four 6mm bolts on the rear panel. The DB1i wall brackets can be angled precisely and rigidly in both the horizontal and vertical planes again ensuring maximum performance.

So, on that basis, the answer has to be, yes, they can be wall-mounted!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes they "can" be wall mounted, but remember the atl port faces rearwards, so closer to walls = a tendancy of the speaker towards the bass frequencies (boomey bass).

Sound much better on stands with space to breathe. Mine are about 8-10" off my rear wall.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If you need the speakers close to the wall and can afford then the GB1i's would probably be better suited as the atl port faces forwards on those.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
amwarren13 said:
Andrew btw - when are you going to test the Denon DBP-2012UD, very pleased with it, but looking at the reviews of the Marantz UD7006, maybe wish I had waited for this ?!

As far as I know, we're still waiting for a review sample.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If using floor stands, I would try DB1is in half inch increments from the wall starting at about 3.5" - 4" (the distance if used with PMC Db1i wall brackets) and try different degrees of 'toe-ing in' (again, the PMC wall brackets allow for angling the DB1s).

They are a mini 'transmission line' design so will interract with a rear wall in a different way than simple ports. The wall construction (masonry/brick or stud wall) and covering will also affect the interraction.

DB1is just happen to be a bit finicky to get exactly right. I think this is because the gap between speaker and wall will form the last part of the transmission line.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard said:
late of this parish

Sorry. Been bit busy with new job. the commute especially is somewhat longer than my old ten minute one.

Andrew Everard said:
JD tried a variety of speakers on the end of his NaimUniti, and in the end bought himself a pair of DB1is.

He did, and marvellous they are too. One of my 1,500 word rambles reviews is due shortly (hopefully before I go on holiday), but IMO there's nothing to beat them for the size.

Agreed with chebby, they are choosy about positioning, and having shoved them in an alcove shelf as an experiment I certainly wouldn't do that again, but away from corners on the PMC brackets and pointing down (there are four bolts already on the back of them specially for the purpose) they should do very nicely.

Note that I can't speak for the Qute, only its big brother, because the brief loaner I had was long gone before I got the DB1is, but provided you're not listening at elevated volumes I'd expect them to behave pretty much the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts