naim uniti star + atc 11

ATC recommend 75 watts upwards for their modestly named Entry series, which includes the SCM11. Their least powerful amplifier is 100wpc.

That said, the Naim is rated at 70wpc and probably produces more in practice. In a domestic environment in a typically modest British room it should be plenty. But if you want disco levels in a ballroom, then forget it!

There are a few Naim dealers with ATCs, so worth seeking them out for advice and an audition. This is one I’ve bought from and found very knowledgeable.

According to rickcraft one of his clients uses (or used) a 40 watt Arcam Alpha 7 with ATCs.

Even better, We’ve got clients using Solo Mini’s with passive SCM40 monitors. Over the last five years we’ve used and some of have clients are also using Uniti Star/SCM11’s.

Bottom line is if constant disco like listening levels are not required then the Uniti Star is perfectly capable of powering SCM11’s.

Reactions: 100icki

jjbomber

at low/medium volume will the atc 11 speakers in combination with the naim uniti star sound good?
We can only say what will sound good FOR US. You have to buy what will sound good FOR YOU. There's no reason to think they will be anything other than a good match, but you really need to listen to them together to see if they are FOR YOU.

at low/medium volume will the atc 11 speakers in combination with the naim uniti star sound good?
Any amp can be used with any speaker. It's whether the amp can drive and control a said speaker sufficiently, that's another question.

We can only make suggestions on components we've heard and liked (or not liked). That's the nature of the beast.

yes, I have
currently naim is playing with a Q Acoustics 3030i.
I am considering buying atc 11 or kef r3
and I can't decide
Ah, right. That helps thanks.

What do you think is missing with the Q Acoustics? If the tonal balance sounds right but want to extract more from the amp then the obvious upgrade would be the Q Acoustics Concept versions.

I know from personal experience Dynaudio speakers work well with Naim.

Not saying go and buy my suggestions, as demos when spending that sort of money is essential IME.

yes, I have
currently naim is playing with a Q Acoustics 3030i.
I am considering buying atc 11 or kef r3
and I can't decide
Just to add, the KEF R3 should also work well with Naim amplification. Not heard R3s but have the previous model R300 with a amp with similar tonal qualities to the Naim.

But lumping all 5 star components together doesn't guarantee it'll be a good match. The trick with hi-fi is finding the right synergy -- synergy is everything when comes to the ideal sound.

Only two of my components (amp & speakers) + cables have only received 5 stars. The rest, CD player and turntable received 4 stars and my ClearAudio cartridge received 3 stars, yet the synergy is superb.

D

Deleted member 201267

Even better, We’ve got clients using Solo Mini’s with passive SCM40 monitors. Over the last five years we’ve used and some of have clients are also using Uniti Star/SCM11’s.

Bottom line is if constant disco like listening levels are not required then the Uniti Star is perfectly capable of powering SCM11’s.

Sorry to the OP for the thread drift but may i ask what maximum cost of amplifier would be recommended before the ATC SCM11's become the weak link ?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I had a Nap 200dr and home demoed ATC 11 and 19 passive for a few months..... niam is not amplification I'd pick for ATC and ATC is a brand I certainly wouldn't pick for late-night listening at 40db and lower. Like you late-night listening is a very big requirement for me.

If you want good low-level speakers that work well with naim start your search with
Rovel concerta M16 speakers, are far more full and dynamic sounding at low volume....
i'd then move on to naims owner and look at focal, their control/in-house testing brand and go from there.
Efficiency is king and always will be.

You need to listen to bands in your home

Sorry to the OP for the thread drift but may i ask what maximum cost of amplifier would be recommended before the ATC SCM11's become the weak link ?
As stated by ATC themselves, recommended amplifier 75 watts upwards. Anything lower the amp will start to overheat. ATCs are only as good or bad as the amp powering them.

Bear in mind Rickycraft is a dealer and he would sell anything and say it's right for a quick buck.

D

Deleted member 201267

As stated by ATC themselves, recommended amplifier 75 watts upwards. Anything lower the amp will start to overheat. ATCs are only as good or bad as the amp powering them.

Bear in mind Rickycraft is a dealer and he would sell anything and say it's right for a quick buck.

I was asking MUSICRAFT because, as a dealer, i guess he has access to some very hi-end kit and has probably tested these loudspeakers to see exactly what they are capable of - i know i would if I owned a HIFI shop.

As for making a "quick buck" if any dealer practices that i guess he would not be in business for long.

Recently we used a CEN.GRAND Audio DSDAC 1.0 Advanced/Deluxe DAC (RRP £6000) > Qualiton Audio X200 2022 vacuum tube integrated amplifier (RRP £4553) > curved SCM11's.

curved SCM11's can handle quality components with aplomb.

D

Deleted member 201267

Recently we used a CEN.GRAND Audio DSDAC 1.0 Advanced/Deluxe DAC (RRP £6000) > Qualiton Audio X200 2022 vacuum tube integrated amplifier (RRP £4553) > curved SCM11's.

curved SCM11's can handle quality components with aplomb.

Thanks for replying Rick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts