naim uniti or arcam solo neo

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all can some one let me know how good either of the above systems really are? Im not happy with my system at present and thinkin of goin down the one box route with floorstanders. Wld either the solo or unity be too much of a come down from what ive got now?

John Duncan

They're great :)

However, I'd be surprised if either would be an improvement sound quality-wise over your current setup - personally I'd be looking at better speakers before I did anything else.

Unless, of course, you're absolutely set on reducing your box count or are particularly enamoured with the streaming functionality available in those two - as an alternative, though, I'd consider losing the tuner and replacing it with a Squeezebox or similar, to give you Uniti/Neo functionality in your existing kit.

You could even replace your 8000cd with an 8200, which would give you a neat digital input for said Squeezebox...

John Duncan

Actually yes good point. So; get rid of the 8000CD AND the 8000Q AND the T32, and replace it with an 8200CDQ and a Squeezebox (or similar). Dunno what cost to change is there though...

Oh, and don't forget the new speakers, which are priority one (IMO) :-D

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi mate yeah know what ur saying about the sound quality wasnt expecg
ting it to be better as lon g as unity wasnt worse. How do you find ur unity do you miss separates power sound quality etc? ?

John Duncan

In my room I don't really need power so don't miss it, no (compared to my previous 70w-a-side Primare A20). And combined with the PMCs it's definitely the best system I've owned (and I've owned a few :-D). So it's a very good quality option, yes. But depending on your room and volume requirements, you may find yourself better off having the current available from those monoblocs.

What's your room size?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure to be honest as my lounge is long and in three sections ie with and arch from the lounge/sitting room through to the dining room section where the system sits and fires cross ways. That section maybe ten foot by ten square. Eventually the system will fire longways from the sitting room baywindow downwards which means from that direction obviously the lounge becomes much larger though to be honest im sure a fifty watt unity with decent floorstanders ( im choosing floorstanders as they will be in free space in the bay window) would be enough. I also think the unity wld be the best quality one boxer of the ones currently available plus also if it wasnt enough power the addition of a power amp is always a possibility. Another thing is my system is clinical in sound and have heard the naim sound is more musical and regardless of power ratings their amps sound huge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts