Naim Uniti (affordable!) alternatives

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok, so I've read the glowing review of the new Naim Uniti amp/receiver/cd/dab/makeyouacupoftea etc and love it's features.

Of course the price is more than a little out of my range.

Does anyone know of any more affordable alternatives. I am in no way looking for the sound quality that a Naim system could offer - more the functionality.

Mainly I'm after having a one box with CD, DAB/FM, Network(NAS)/local(usb) playback of FLAC/MP3 and very hopefully playback of BBC internet radio streams.

I'm aware of Squeezebox/Sonos and have been pointed towards Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Cambridge Audio similar one boxes. However none of them really seem to tick those boxes. I know I'm asking a lot (which was why I was so surprised when I saw the Uniti) but surely there must be more of these - at least on the horizon!

I would however like to use my own speakers, at least even if you can change whatever ones come with the device and use your own speaker cable.

Anyone?

John Duncan

There isn't anything really right now. I'm seriously considering a NaimUniti but would like to see what other manufacturers come up with before I do. Course, I'm a very impatient man and may give up waiting
emotion-2.gif

You can construct a system that does exactly the same for much less, but none will rival the one-box-ness the Naim has.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:You can construct a system that does exactly the same for much less, but none will rival the one-box-ness the Naim has.

And by the time you account for all the money lost from not working to get it set up, the Naim could work out cheaper...

(you can use that one if you like JD
emotion-5.gif
)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
But I'm not influencing you at all. After the whole Apple TV / aTV flash debacle, I think it's my turn to take one for the team. Anyone know any loan sharks to get me the £2,000 I need for the Naim?

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I liked the look of the naim. And I could have wangled the spend IF I hadnt needed new speakers as well. IF I had, like many of you guys. great speakers I would have gone for it. I imagine many of you also have great setups attached to thos speakers. So instead of dicking around with wireless and computers and routers I would get one of these plugged in to that kit and compared. If quality was same or better I would have gone for it. As it does everything I would want. And I think really is the future.

John Duncan

professorhat:
JohnDuncan:You can construct a system that does exactly the same for much less, but none will rival the one-box-ness the Naim has.

And by the time you account for all the money lost from not working to get it set up, the Naim could work out cheaper...

(you can use that one if you like JD
emotion-5.gif
)

Genius. Genius.

However, I think I may have shot myself in the foot by getting an Apple TV, which kind of serves the same purpose, and justifying that has been fun... (d'oh)

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I saw a Phillips Streamium 1-boxer today that has CD, 160gb hard-drive, usb, internet radio, DAB radio so that should be ticking most of your boxes? Think it was about £400... the MCi500H...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts