Naim Supernait or NVA AP70 + Benchmark DAC1 ?

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello!

I'm currently set up with Spendor A5, an NVA AP70 amplifier and an Arcam rDac. I upgraded from an Audiolab 8200a integrated amp and it's sounding much better with the NVA.

However, I'm looking to upgrade the dac and considering the Rega DAC, the Benchmark DAC 1, or a second hand Chord DAC 64.

Just wondered though, I can pick up a Naim Supernait for the same price as the NVA Amp (which is on home trial) twinned with the Benchmark DAC1, and whether the Supernait integrated amp/DAC combo will be a better quality sound than the NVA/Benchmark combo?

I like a wide range of music, and the current system is sounding nice, but wondering if the sound could be pushed even further to get even more detail, realism and separation between the sounds.

I'm looking forward to some expert opinions!

John Duncan

I think the Supernait might sound somewhat marvellous with the Spendors, but you'll be hard pushed to find many people who've heard the NVA, what with it being (generally) unauditionable without laying out cash up front. What I have found, though, is that Naim dealers are usually quite happy to do a similar home demo - do you have one nearby who might lend you one to do a proper side-by-side comparison?

EDIT - note that I think the amp would be the deciding factor here rather than the DAC.

A

Anonymous

Are you playing all your music from computer? If so, maybe consider something like the m2tech Young dac as an upgrade as it has very good usb connection - a lot of new dacs now come with half-baked usb inputs nowdays just because it is the feature de jour. I have no idea about the NVA, so can't comment on the amp section (although personally I'd be going class A or tube with an undemanding speaker)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
westerniser said:
Yes, all from a macbook air or wireless via airport express, so usb and optical combo are preferred.

Hi westerniser - I can whole heartedly recommend the supernait, however I would advise caution if you are primarily planning to use it with the airport express.

I used to do the same but I had to give up using the airport express in the end, because there were sync issue connecting it to the SN. Every time I began playback there would be a blip in the music. Sometimes it was very shortly after playback commenced and sometimes it would only be after a few minutes, but it happened every single time playback was initiated or a track was skipped etc (it was not wireless interference - I was also very familiar with that but I had eliminated it in this instance).

The cause was the SN not being able to properly sync with the incoming data stream because of sloppy clocking on the part of the AE. If you do a forum search or google, then you can see that the SN is not the only device to potentially be affected by this. it seems some devices are more susceptible that others. Anyway it's entirely the AE's fault, but it you're set on using it then I would just urge caution and try whatever DAC you are thinking of getting with the AE to ensure that it is not affected.

I have not experienced this with my Mac or any other digital device connected to my SN.

Dan

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So, here's the conclusion...

I bought a used Supernait to go with the Spendors and it's all set up. The NVA and Arcam have been put to one side, the Supernait really is excellent, and I don't think I need to change anything with the system now. It's simple and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for the input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts