Naim Nait 5si much better, but is it worth 1000 quid?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
florencenightingale said:
I heard over on Naim forum that they don't fit a muting relay to the loudspeaker outputs of the Naim Nait 5Si amp as it is seen as a potential source of degradation of the signal - better to tolerate the odd low level thump at switch on/ off 8)

Better to switch the PSU rather than the output IMO.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Not even close, focus 260 is power hungry. XS will not feed them properly too. Exposure 3010s2 would do the job if we talk about the power.

Btw, Exposure 2010S2 is much beter than Nait5i. Wider and deeper soundstage, better 3D image, more power, better timing, ect

Manjola

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
:poke: Hmm.. what can I say!!!! I have exactly the same problem as you, exept for my naim nait 5i (2) also have a problem with a IR lockup issue.

This means that once in a while (to often) I cant switch sources on the amp, without turning of and on the power button.

The reason for this is due to that the IR reciver is sensitive to other devices with IR, espesially plasma tv;s, like my panasonic vt30 :cry: .......

And exept from that, I also have a problem with an annoying "hum" sound, that comes and goes, precisley as you desccirbed it...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Manjola said:
:poke: Hmm.. what can I say!!!! I have exactly the same problem as you, exept for my naim nait 5i (2) also have a problem with a IR lockup issue.

This means that once in a while (to often) I cant switch sources on the amp, without turning of and on the power button.

The reason for this is due to that the IR reciver is sensitive to other devices with IR, espesially plasma tv;s, like my panasonic vt30 :cry: .......

I had that problem with the Nait 5i IR and a Samsumg TV we had on loan from a repairer once. Naim were absolutely no help whatsoever and I eventuially sorted it out in the Samsung's settings. The Samsung had been left in some mode whereby it controlled other devices like DVD players or whatever. (And my amp.)

Naim hadn't a clue. Suggested using the TV and hi-fi in different rooms! (Great when sound from your TV / Blu-ray / PVR is actually one of the sources you want to play through the system. Do you watch and listen from the door between the rooms?)

Reminded me of the time in the 1980s when Linn and Naim discouraged people from having TVs and telephones and headphones in the living room.

Manjola

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
Manjola said:

I had that problem with the Nait 5i IR and a Samsumg TV we had on loan from a repairer once. Naim were absolutely no help whatsoever and I eventuially sorted it out in the Samsung's settings. The Samsung had been left in some mode whereby it controlled other devices like DVD players or whatever. (And my amp.)

Naim hadn't a clue. Suggested using the TV and hi-fi in different rooms! (Great when sound from your TV / Blu-ray / PVR is actually one of the sources you want to play through the system. Do you watch and listen from the door between the rooms?)

Reminded me of the time in the 1980s when Linn and Naim discouraged people from having TVs and telephones and headphones in the living room.

hahaha.. O man.. I dont know what to say. You buy one premium amplifier, and the manufacturer tells you not to use it in the same room as your tv... Thats both stupid and funny from many diffrent aspects.

I really appreciate your help and advice. I will se if i can find any settings on my panasonic vt30 that can help me, the same way as you solved it with the samsung.

Carloz

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have both the 5i (italic) and the 5si at home right now and the 5i is clearly better on pace, rhytm and timing compared to the 5si. The 5si is much more soft sounding and the bass responce is somewhat boosted at the very lowest freqencies compared to the 5i which is more balanced in my ears. A kick drum or bass guitar will on the 5si not give you the intimate feeling as the 5i will. The 5i I also find more interesting to listen to and the 5si feels more boring like it could say Yamaha or whatever on it.

I will keep my 5i and send back the 5si.. I hope this is not a direction set by the new owners of Naim (Focal).

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Carloz said:
I have both the 5i (italic) and the 5si at home right now and the 5i is clearly better on pace, rhytm and timing compared to the 5si. The 5si is much more soft sounding and the bass responce is somewhat boosted at the very lowest freqencies compared to the 5i which is more balanced in my ears. A kick drum or bass guitar will on the 5si not give you the intimate feeling as the 5i will. The 5i I also find more interesting to listen to and the 5si feels more boring like it could say Yamaha or whatever on it.

I will keep my 5i and send back the 5si.. I hope this is not a direction set by the new owners of Naim (Focal).

With what speakers did you pair the amplifiers?

Carloz

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
unsleepable said:
Carloz said:

With what speakers did you pair the amplifiers?

Dynaudio X14.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts