Naim CD5/Naim CDx or neither!?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I see the Naim CD5x has had a few poor reviews, even in HiFi+ mag! (see here http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/48019385/m/2672912007/p/1)

There is a nz site that does reviews here (http://audioenz.co.nz/2004/naim_cd5x.shtml)
And its competitor the Arcam FMJ CD33 (http://audioenz.co.nz/2003/arcam_fmjcd33.shtml)

Both these are $5000 nz! That is £1875.48 in pound. The Arcam has a slightly better review, am thinking go for a better cd player like these ones against the Naim cd5i. The Naim can be upgraded with power source to. Is there any other cd players around £1500-1900? Reviews say the Arcam is a bit more revealing, and is a vast improvement over the Arcam 9 etc.

My two options are...1) Arcam FMJ CD33 OR Naim CD5x -----> Exposure 2010i amp
2) Naim CD5i OR Arcam Alpha 9 ----------->Cyrus amp/Naim 5i amp

Am thinkin the first one, though can always use teh Harman Kardon 970 amp with a good cd player? And upgrade in future? If ya google Naim cd5x reviews the neg ones all pop up! Has anyone listened to these cd players? I dont care if I dont get a naim just want the best for its price, and the Naim CDx at least is upgradeable but maybe are better for the price, though the CD5 is generally regarded as "best in price".

As far as amps go, both amps are cheaper, but the esposure has 120w compared to 50w Naim and similar price...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for the CD5i and Nait 5i and be very happy indeed. If you want to upgrade at a later date by all means go for the CD5x, which is also a (slightly0 better-sounding player than the 5i and the CD33, and yes I have listened to all three.

As far as amps go, I'd stick to my previous Naim recommendation. Let's not go round this whole power thing again - it's really not relevant, given the speakers you're going to use and their 94dB/W/m sensitivity.

A

Anonymous

Oh, interesting you favoured the Naim CD5x over the Arcam. I know ya said forget power (watts) but am going to upgrade speakers and say they are 89/90db sensitivity Mission or proac........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I keep saying, it's a personal opinion and not the magazines, though I know the guys do use a Naim CD player down in one of the listening rooms as a reference.

And even with the speaker upgrade, the NAIT 5i will be more than powerful enough - Naim power figures tend to be quoted somewhat conservatively, unlike those of some more mass-market manufacturers.

A

Anonymous

Just out of interest Andrew, has the mag reviewed a Perreaux amp (say 200i) or a Plinius amp (say 9100/9200)? These NZ-made amps produce some pretty amazing sound, is there perhaps any thought on reviewing these in the future?

:)

A

Anonymous

Hi There

a bit late coming in on this one. I recently bought a naim combo to go with a pair of MS Performance 6's, Cd5i, NAC122x, NAP150x can only say the naim kit is fantantic. Only 50w pc but blows away amps from rotel, marantz, cambridge, T&A rated at over twice that. I didn't believe the guy in the shop when he told me it was only 50w - means nothing, hearing is believing. Also demoed the Nait5i, but liked the separte power amp more. I found the CD5x to be good, but put the extra into the amp combo to match the speakers closer.

When you talk to Naim owners, they don't touch anything else ( except the phono stage, not popular here )

TRENDING THREADS