Naim 5i to XS?

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi folk.
I am almost finished tinkering with my system and think good stands will finish off nicely.
However, although I think my system is pretty good now, being curious wondered what improvements in my system (see sig) could possibly be from moving to Nait XS from 5i?

Would this draw little/much more detail from my Neats? Bigger bass presence, more defined and larger soundstage? How noticable?

Why..........
Having taken my Rega Dac + Wireworld mains to friend who was struggling with setup as their Pre/Power Arcam amps seemed to be firing not on all cylinders, found that taking coax out from pc into Rega Dac, into Sony ES1200 AV amp (biamp mode) and then into b&w cdm 7nt speakers it sounded very good indeed quite surprisingly too. Speakers gained a good sense of timing which wasn't there before and were conveying a huge soundstage and very good detail. More detail than my setup which he thought was due to the speakers. Amazing speakers they are too.

All this got me thinking, about speakers. I don't really want to change speakers and hoping good stands (super dreads) will give enough presence (solidity and soundstage) without sacrificing agility and overshadowing the midrange/treble.
However, what about AMP?

Can anyone share experience moving from Nait 5i to XS and perhaps importantly with reference to my system please?
All hypothetical of course ;)
Many Thanks
Ambrose

Having heard the Nait 5i and XS numerous times I would say the XS, in layman's terms, has all the attributes of the 5i with a little extra all-round: dynamics, detail, bass definition. Certainly one of the best integrated I've heard within its price bracket. The only real slight caveat is whether the speakers may hold back the extra performance of the XS.

I've not heard these Neats, but others may have better insight on the Motive 3s.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Having heard the Nait 5i and XS numerous times I would say the XS, in layman's terms, has all the attributes of the 5i with a little extra all-round: dynamics, detail, bass definition. Certainly one of the best integrated I've heard within its price bracket. The only real slight caveat is whether the speakers may hold back the extra performance of the XS.

I've not heard these Neats, but others may have better insight on the Motive 3s.

Thanks PP. Doesn't sound the significant upgrade I might have expected.

Hopefully soon I will be loaning some stands so might be tempted to see if I could try the XS for curiousity sake at least. Have to see!

Ambrose said:
plastic penguin said:

Thanks PP. Doesn't sound the significant upgrade I might have expected.

Hopefully soon I will be loaning some stands so might be tempted to see if I could try the XS for curiousity sake at least. Have to see!

Depends on what you want to achieve? The Nait 5i retails about £800 while the XS is around £1300, so you won't hear a 'night and day' difference. Certainly on PMC speakers there was a noticeable difference, but don't know how the DB1is compare to the Motives.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't find a huge difference between an XS and my Supernait. I have owned both, both kept the SN due to the dac and set up simplicity, and it was second hand anyway!

Perhaps the XS is a little better than the 5i with the extra power, but the biggest difference for me has always been changing the speakers.

Never heard Motives but I did like the Petite and Momentum 3i. I use Harbeth P3esr which are excellent, and are my favourite standmount speakers, and I have certainly listened to many!

I liked the Proac too, to Tablette and D1.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have only heard both amps on demo and not with Neat but found there was an overall improvement but not a significant one, same as previous posts.
Personally I was hoping for more but I thought the 5i (italic) was great and had high hopes for the xs but it didn't deliver, maybe that is to say how good the 5 is.

Suprised not mentioned above but I might have gone for the Leema Pulse ahead of the xs and you have the phono stage as well but I am not sure how it would pair with the Neats,maybe thats why not !!

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose,

I would say save your money and go for a bigger upgrade; Naim DAC for example. Rember Naim always say source first when upgrading...

I have made the small steps in the past and whilst the temptation is there, I have wasted a fair amount of money in the process.

A

Anonymous

When I originally auditioned my kit I went for the Nait XS with the CD5i over the Nait 5i with the CD5XS...

it sounded so much better although I suspect it was my speakers at the time that made the difference clearly audible (B&W 683's).

the Nait XS is a beauty!

A

Anonymous

When I originally auditioned my kit I went for the Nait XS with the CD5i over the Nait 5i with the CD5XS...

it sounded so much better although I suspect it was my speakers at the time that made the difference clearly audible (B&W 683's).

the Nait XS is a beauty!

A

Anonymous

You'll get higher dynamic range and more powerful botton end. The XS is not only a more sophisticate project but also uses better parts, so you'll likely to get more refined mids and highs as well. Have a look at internal pictures of both and get your own conclusions.

http://www.kanpai-club.ru/foto/hifi/big/NAIT5i-1.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/naim3/naim_2.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts