Nagaoka MP300 Hummm

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Need some advice guys. Fitted the MP300 this morning and have noticed a quite pronounced hum from the RH channel only. As this was not evident with the 2M Black it must be down to the cartridge. I've tried it with the plastic washers under the screws to isolate the cartridge from the headshell but still no luck, hum persists, (probably a screw touching the headshell, but there's nothing I can do about this as I can't be bothered to faff around anymore with a loupe trying to keep boths the screws away from the headshell whilst trying to keep it in alignment). I've also tried without the earth lead attached and it still hums.

Would nylon screws or a wooden headshell work? Or am I missing something really simple here?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
Need some advice guys. Fitted the MP300 this morning and have noticed a quite pronounced hum from the RH channel only. As this was not evident with the 2M Black it must be down to the cartridge. I've tried it with the plastic washers under the screws to isolate the cartridge from the headshell but still no luck, hum persists, (probably a screw touching the headshell, but there's nothing I can do about this as I can't be bothered to faff around anymore with a loupe trying to keep boths the screws away from the headshell whilst trying to keep it in alignment). I've also tried without the earth lead attached and it still hums.

Would nylon screws or a wooden headshell work? Or am I missing something really simple here?

I'd be tempted to swap around all 4 leads on the cartridge and if the problem moves to the LH channel this proves it's the cartridge where the problem is, then I'd remove the styli if it's removeable and refit just in case something was amiss there. If none of this solves the issue then I reckon there must be a fault with the cartridge and it needs replacing. I would have thought that a screw to headshell problem would result in a hum on both channels.

D

Deleted member 108165

Many thanks and will do. Just as I was singing the praises of purchasing from Japan via eBay in my other thread. *dash1*

Stylus is removeable so really hoping that your tips work, (fingers and toes crossed). I'll report back as and when I've resolved the issue, or not, as the case may be.

D

Deleted member 108165

Haven't had the chance to try anything yet Steve, been busy at work this week plus this is my six-day working week. I'll post again as soon as I have reached some kind of definite conclusion. Already ordered nylon screws and wooden headshell as part of a strategy to resolve the issue, (even though I suspect that Lost Angeles is probably correct about the cart being defective). I've already advised the eBay seller that I have a problem with the cart but haven't pushed this any further yet so not sure if he will say tough-luck or be open to a return/replacement.

Has anyone on here ever used a digital multimeter to test a cart?

daytona600

sounds like a faulty or fake cartridge if the Ortofon worked fine but the Nagoaka did not

dealer will replace under european law if faulty , assume you bought from a dealer

worth paying a bit more for peace of mind & warranty

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:
I ordered from my MP200 Audiokazu - no problems but that is the risk you take ordering from Japan.

Hope you get it sorted.

I've heard of Audiokazu as that was one of the Japanese websites I was looking at before I purchased from eBay. My seller appears to be a "good guy" as his emails are always pleasant and friendly, but of course his demeanour could change somewhat if I have to put in a claim via Ebay/PayPal resolution centre. Fingers and toes crossed that I can get this cart working so it doesn't have to go down this road.

D

Deleted member 108165

daytona600 said:
sounds like a faulty or fake cartridge if the Ortofon worked fine but the Nagoaka did not

dealer will replace under european law if faulty , assume you bought from a dealer

worth paying a bit more for peace of mind & warranty

I don't think EU law covers products personally imported from Japan. And yes hindsight is a wonderful thing. Not sure about it being a fake as it does play and sound quite nice but there is the annoying audible hum from the RH channel. Uncertain as to how I could check if it was a fake anyway; serial number perhaps?

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:
Hope you get it sorted.

Well, nylon screws/bolts/washers arrived and fitted and now playing a very old noisy: Holst - The Planets.... No hum!!! I guess the hum may have been something to do with the die-cast metal headshell which is now, in effect, insulated by the nylon washers, (I also fitted some between the cart and headshell), looks a bit Heath Robinson as the screws are waay too long so are protruding above the headshell. Yamamoto wooden headshell is still winging it's way to me from the same supplier in Japan so I'll experiment with different fasteners when it arrives. *music2*

D

Deleted member 108165

Headhell and cartridge fitted with the brass fasteners, (supplied with the headshell).... No hum! *dance4**bye*