NAD533 - Turntable Speed issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, This is probably a very daft question, so please dont shout.

I have a NAD533 turntable which slows down whilst playing, it is approx 15yrs old (so not young), i went home yesterday hopeful that this would resolve the issue, new belt fittred, the cartridge needle cleaned, and the record was also cleaned down. and approx 2 tracks into the the disc, once again the speed dropped and remained slow without much variance. am i right in thinking this would be the motor causing this. is it possible to replace motors or should bite the bullet and replace with some thing new.

thanks in advance

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Alternatively (and had on my Rega2) is that there is some of the bearing oil on the pulley.

Get a couple of cotton buds, dip them in alcohol and clean the pulley, then wipe the belt thoroughly with the alcohol.

It worked for me, providing obv, that nothing else is amiss as per Andrew or Chebby's comments.

A

Anonymous

Thanks lots for the swift responses, i will post back with results of investigations.

i wasnt expecting such an amount of help. you've restored my faith in forums.

A

Anonymous

RESULT!!!!!

there was quite some dirt on the pulleys, but the motor pulley was not secure to the motor shaft, came off very easily when tried. shaft degreased and a dab of loctite 406, and it appears to be working, without any speed variation. fingers crossed.

thanks everybody..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
beany2510:
RESULT!!!!!

there was quite some dirt on the pulleys, but the motor pulley was not secure to the motor shaft, came off very easily when tried. shaft degreased and a dab of loctite 406, and it appears to be working, without any speed variation. fingers crossed.

thanks everybody..

Ok now that's done, remember to help the platter along a bit by rotating it before switching on (just give the platter a clockwise flick with a finger).

Also (if you use a felt mat) don't switch-off between LPs. Just lock the arm and change sides/records with the platter still spinning.

These measures will prolongue the life of the motor and the belt and prevent the pulley wheel coming unstuck again. This is common practice with most belt drive TTs with heavy platters.

You may as well get a new belt from a local Rega dealer. They don't cost much. (The NAD 533 is basically a Rega P2). Make sure you get it from a proper Rega dealer - even if you have to order and pay for it on the phone and have it posted - and NOT ebay.

NAD (Armour UK) will probably take forever to source a belt and they will get it from Rega anyway.

The 'finger assisted' start-up is actually recommended by NAD in the instructions. (Opens a PDF in a new window.)

A

Anonymous

Hi Chebby, et al
The Fix appears to be a success, it was a night of vinyl last night, and not a problem, it still sounds excellant.

I have tended to use the "finger assisted start up" , as has the "hot swap" between LPs (i use a felt mat). I think i have the orginal manual somewhere.

I sourced a new NAD 533 belt from "analogue seduction", online transaction. it arrived and was fitted on wednesday after ordering on sunday, which is when the real source of the problem became apparent,

Thanks for all your assistance. it really is appreciated.

Beany

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts