NAD or Martantz replacement amp.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:d_a_n1979:maxflinn:dan , i have br5s , and am looking to get a cd player and stereo amp , would you expect the nad gear to pair equally as well with the br5s as the rs6s as some people have said ? thanks..

Deffinitly

I heard the M/A BR5's with the NAD C326BEE and C545BEE CDP and they sounded superb.

However; I did also hear the M/A BR5's with the Audiolab 8000S integrated amp and Audiolab CD player and that combo souned very good indeed as well; both would need a good demo IMOcheers dan , thats just what i wanted to hear , demoing is a little tricky for me , so ill probably plump for the nads mentioned , several other people have said how much of a good pairing ma and nad is , including the helpful chap in munstersounds , that will do for me
emotion-1.gif
, thanks ..

NAD and M/A go very well together indeed (as you can see by gear below and als in my demo reviews from the past months or so
emotion-5.gif
)

d_a_n1979:plastic penguin:

d_a_n1979:That's the thing though. Fully agree with PP and MP's comments and also Daves comments re system synergy etc... The NAD C355BEE is the OBVIOUS choice as it's the replacement for the NAD C352 and as I said above the mentioned amps NEED to be demo'd! I however dont agree with the comment re the NAD being underrated or under priced. That's just the market currently but as you'll read through peoples reviews (and if you demo it yourself) you'll see that the NAD competes with the likes of the Roksans, Arcam and Creeks and beats some of them at thair own game (and as MP said; it trounces the Arcam A18 which has gone too much like the Diva A70 IMO)! It is really down to the OP to demo the amps mentioned or others that he may see on the marekt. If he wishes to buy blind then we all know thats a dangerous game but I still stand by my comments that the Arcam DiVa A85 or the NAD C355BEE amps would be best choice; more so to pair with the M/A RS6's which we ALL know like a good, smooth but powerful amp to drive them to their best!

That is one hellava claim about the Nad outperforming the Kandy and Creek. I'll make one promise: if I can scrounge a 355BEE over the next couple of weeks to test at home then I'll see what all the fuss is about - or not. You'll get a very honest appraisal from me - I won't comment out of spite. One thing most people on this forum know about me is my stark integrity. If I'm wrong I will eat a large dollop of humble pie - and I'll be on the phone very quickly to Nad and say their coverted 355 is under priced....
emotion-2.gif

I totally agree about the A18 and A70. Both were disappointing, and the A65's achilles heel, in my view, is the slightly loose bass. I remember MP, before Christmas, commenting...nae praising the A65's overall quality, only being let down by its dynamics. Which is not surprising, but unless you're a real classical buff, the A65 ticks all the right sonic boxes for the money.

Hi PP Apologies if I was abrupt; completely the opposite, ya know me
emotion-5.gif
Just it seems people write NAD's off due to their price and probably looks as well as mentioned above. I think you and mostly everyone else know's they're superb amps and they're a bit likt eh M/A RS6's. They get written off far too easily when really they're damn fine products; just they dont suit some people and then they go all hell bent on damming them! As you'll appreciate I did hell of A LOT of demoing before I settled on my system taking seperates right up to the £1k mark per item and down again but time after time the NAD and M/A combo for me was unbeatable (for my tastes in music and for this precise timing of wanting a new system)... I LOVE Arcam and always will do, bit like Acoustic Energy and B&W seperates as well. Having demo'd the Roksan Kandy K2 and the NAD side by side with the same speakers; there was little in it apart from the NAD having punchier, tauter bass and also the K2 was a bit too bright at the top end! In saying that though with different speakers I bet the K2 really stands its ground. Ad for the Creek; having heard it at Superfi for all of 5mins as it was being demo'd to someone else with Epos and B&W speakers; I know straight away it wasnt the sound for me and then reading your reviews re the lack of inputs; that didnt help. Plus I dont like it's looks
emotion-4.gif
The NAD C355BEE is priced HIGHLY competitvely currently as I think Richer Sounds have bought ALL available stock in Silver; black cant be got anywhere currently (much to my dismay). I don think the likes of RS bring products down in terms of calibre by pricing them so low but at the end of the day, if you can find an amp that does just as good, if not better than some c£1k amps out on the market currently; common sense says that you'll go for the cheaper option as you've more 'bang for your buck' but also more £££ to spend on CDP's, speakers, cables, music etc... So yes; as above, I AM saying that FOR ME, the NAD out performs the Creek and Roksan amps currently but I know DAMN WELL that it doesnt out perform the Roksan Caspian amp which I weely WEELY liked but couldnt afford
emotion-8.gif
emotion-4.gif
Plus; the synergy between the NAD and M/A RX6's is superb and I think it's a combo you deffo need to hear for yourself. Plus the Rega Apollo or Saturn too
emotion-5.gif

Mmmm, it's a little disconcerting that stocks have depleted, but I'll check during the week with the guy I loaned the Creek from - he is a Nad dealer as well.

As far as Rega CDPs are concerned that's a no no. This is down ergonomics rather than sound quality; we have a stacking hi-fi rack, and because the OH is a wheelchair user, the amp is as low as is practical. The Rega CDPs top-loading mechanism means the shelves have to be lowered even further, and that means it would be tricky for er indoors to play music when I'm out. Front loaders only, I'm afraid. Although alternative players aren't thin in numbers. I think the Exposure 2010S is a fabulous machine, among hi-end Arcams and various other makes.

I've pretty much settled on a short-list for my upgrade, but it would be interesting to see where in the equation these Nads stack up.

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Seeing how Marantz was in the equation at the beginning, is there any particular reason why no one seemed to be piping in in favor of the Marantz PM 8003? I understand it's basically a PM 7003 on 'roids...(toroidal transformers, that is) and gets the job done just fine. Or is the NAD 355 loads better than that as well?

T

the record spot

I think with a lot of brand champions (unofficial ones anyway), you find people have their likes based on what they know, or have experienced, or whatever. That tends to muddy the waters in as much a little knowledge and a lot of opinion tends to get offered up, and I include myself in this.

NAD turn out some great stuff and always have done. Even the fascias have improved, well, at least on their CDPs which look a little more attractive, the amps still look plasticky even though the front panels are pretty heavy constructions (it's the titanium - should that be posh grey? - finish I think).

That said, there's a point where the NAD gear tails off and better kit comes in, but it's as much the law of diminishing returns and that happens with all gear. Do I think a £450 amp (which the C355 is originally, Richer Sounds having discounted significantly to get their £299) is better than the PM8003? Haven't a clue, but Marantz turn out some good stuff, though tonally different in some ways from other competitors leaning more towards, er, lean but very musical.

That's not to say that the NAD isn't, but focusing on one amp virtually is missing the point I think. I think the NAD is probably an obvious choice to shortlist, but it's also an obvious opportunity to try out some other brands and see what else might work.

Incidentally, if the budget goes that far up, I'd be looking at the PM8003 too, as well as the Shanling A2000 if you can find one. Exposure, discounted and end-of-line Cyrus, and obviously, if you're prepared to go down the used route, I'd recommend Sansui in a heartbeat, the performance return for the money paid is breathtakingly good (just got the re-capped and back on song AU717 playing just now and it continues to surprise with every disc). It's an unfair comparison - used v. new I mean - but it can be worthwhile.

Jordan Acoustics (formerly Shadow Audio) and Audio Emotion do have some excellent kit, the latter with some slightly more affordable options and along with the likes of Billy Vee in London, all three offer warranties for peace of mind with their used kit.

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
^ I know/understand whereabouts you're coming from, but there are certainly quite a lot of you who sing paeans in favor of the NAD-355. I have yet to see such out-and-out loyalty for the Marantz PM-8003 -- but yes, maybe it is ultimately a function of price.

What's clear to me is that the 355 really does punch above its weight, the "mere " four-star ranking from WHF notwithstanding. That said, perhaps the OP may want to give the PM-8003 a listen before making his final decision. Good luck to him!

T

the record spot

For £299, it's a cracking deal, there's the option to add a power amp, good functionality and it's NAD, what's not to like? Nobody is saying buy it and be damned, just that the world of audio hardware is more than JUST one or two brands.

By the by, I see the PM7200 is being offered up for sale on Ebay - one chap has three models in decent nick for £150 in two cases (Buy It Now) and a third with original box and remote for £99p opening bid. Great amp, 95wpc in standard mode, but also offers a 25wpc Class A option.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi guys thanks for all the advise and comments, i love the nad sound and was happy with the c352 thats why i thought the c355 would be the obvious choice, as for other brands sure its an option the nad understated looks is fine with me, its sound that matters even if i am on a budget, to let you giuys know i have booked an apointment with my local audio t, to audition the nad c355 marantz and other models in my £500 budget ##will let you know how i get on.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi just a updatefor you, i auditioned the marantz and my first choice the nad c355, the marantz was good but i found it a bit bright and polite with my br5 m.a and my nad player, the nad has the bass punch and endless power, dare i say typical nad sound, i guess we all have our prefence and im a big lover of the nad well in house sound if that makes sense, how doesa it compare to my c352 despite the reviews its similar in sound and all the quality of my loved c352 is still present in the new c355, despite the 4 star review for me it was the rightchoice, maybe in part to it sounding a good match with my nad player i plaased to report i am now the pleased owner of the nad c355 and hoping with a boit of time to run in will please me even more

another observation for me anyway is the aspeaker cable im using black rhodium wich soounds great and i find qed siver aaniv. bright and well despite reviews very nasty sounding, thanks guys.

A

Anonymous

glad your happy with the sound the nad gives you with those br5s rob , i have a pair too , and am auditioning the nad and marantz cd players and amps in a couple of weeks , ill probably go with the nad gear after hearing what you and others have said
emotion-2.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Congrats on the new amp
emotion-1.gif

Agree re the Black Rhodium speaker cable; I demo'd it when I bought my system but it wasnt for me.

I'm a huge fan of the Chord Carnival Silverscreen but wanted to better that and the QED Revelations does just the job
emotion-5.gif

The Black Rhodioum Prelude interconnect has made a superb impression so far though... Well worth considering!

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
i guess we all all different as we like different music therefore will prefer diffent kit, i just found the nad complimented the m.a br5, that is depending on matching speaker cable, i was never a big fan of expensive interconects as such a like but they really do transforn the sound to different tasted, try a piar of russ andrwews amp jumpers for your amp to replace the cheap plugs at the rear for pre out amp onnection they reall do work they are called amp jumpers , and without starting the whole mains debate again i am using russ andrerw mains cables they are only £3o pound at the moment reduced from £45 some people disregard them as not worth it, but i can honestly say for the low price they did show some improvement in the bass area tighter bassand a sense of more control and timing, bear with me i dont know all the jargon but i for one and happy with a small inprovement for such a little cost, my final upgrade was a tacima c929 mains block not tryed the rus andrws as they are quiet costly but the tacima can be picked up for as little as £30 brand new on ebay,vsure the gains are subtle but iproise you wil notice it, im sure lots of you guys with you high end stuff will not be impressed with this but i feel for the money pound for pound i can highly reccomend the the budget gear, my nad c355 with m.a br5 and nad player sure and just above budget, but im very happy with the sound and feel the extra tweaks on quality cables bring out the best in whet my budget can afford

once again would like to thank all for there comments in conclusion i wanted to love the marantz as im aprevoius owner of a cd63 and pm4001 and love them but sure th nad looks plain and as my wofe said they dont look expensive but when they are pluged in and in full song they sound awesome. many thanks

A

Anonymous

How about the highly-praised (in What Hi Fi?) NAD C326 amp? Has anyone out there actually heard both the NAD 326 and NAD 355 and thinks it is worth spending that much more on the 355?

Also, someone mentioned earlier that NAD has greater synergy with Monitor Audio than Marantz with MA. Any comments on this?

T

the record spot

More like the other way round if you go to Richer Sounds, who currently have the C355 for £249...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Temasek:
How about the highly-praised (in What Hi Fi?) NAD C326 amp? Has anyone out there actually heard both the NAD 326 and NAD 355 and thinks it is worth spending that much more on the 355?

Also, someone mentioned earlier that NAD has greater synergy with Monitor Audio than Marantz with MA. Any comments on this?

Yes; heard both and they are both very good.

IMO if your speakers are under £500 then the C326BEE will look after them very well but if they're over £500 or larger floorstanders then deffo go for the C355BEE integrated.

In saying that though with the price that Richer Sounds are selling the C355BEE; it does make more sense to go for that as it'll drive a wider range of speakers better than the C326BEE IMO

A

Anonymous

Thanks to The Record Spot and DAN for your answers. BTW, I am not from the UK, so I am not aware about the competitive pricing of NAD C355 at Richer Sounds. The Internet is bordless, there are forum participants like me from the other side of the world. Haha.

T

the record spot

Ah! Admittedly, the cost of the plane ticket, then lugging the damn thing back home on the plane might just outweigh the saving on the amp's ticket price in the shop. Close though...er...kind of...okay, maybe not!

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
HI max like i said you cant beat a good audition we are all different sure the marantz is a great piece of kit, but i found i very polite, and bright with my br5, if this makes sense all the detail and quality was there but it plays music but was not very musical the nad had my feet tapping with every track i player from eagles katie melua, the verve manics floyd, and all 80/s in beetween i could not find an area where is got tripped up. even with complex sets it seemd to have total control of the timing and base, please be sure im no expert,

on another note synergy the c355 seemd to sing better wiith the nadc355 the marantz again mayber more detail but very poite and didnt want to make me keep listening,

and trust me the sond stage on tge nad is awesome and timing the way the nad starts and stops is truly class leading, i even tryed an arcam which my dealer great man adrian suggested but did not impress,

we are all different so let me know how you get on cheers

and for the record i m8ust confess the marant is a handsome lookinf piece of kit shame it didnt move me... i hope this helps

A

Anonymous

hi rob , i will definately audition both the marantz and nad combos , i may as well just to be sure , but i am really hoping that the nads grab me as they did you , in fact your description of how they sounded to you makes me want them now ..

i actually seem to have similar taste in music to yourself too , right now im listening to wish you were here , on my sony bluray player through a yamaha rxv765 , it sounds quite good , but im really hoping and expecting the dedicated stereo amp and cd player will be the dogs twitchers
emotion-11.gif

ill post on here as soon as ive got them , hopefully in the next 3 weeks .. ta..

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
the c326 is a great amp but my br5 are under £500 but i feel deserve a good amp they punch well above there weight and the c355 is a good start for mayber a speaker upgrade soon, if the wife allows you know what its like and the c355 is a better long term investment dont you think

THANKS ROB

A

Anonymous

if im going with nad , it will be the c355 , just so i dont start wondering what if
emotion-15.gif

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
HI MAX THANKS FOR REPLY, yer i love all sort oceaimng colour cscene atg at the moment but must dust of my metalica manics pepppers and pearl jam.
im glad it helped and im my opiinion noyt that s means a lot the nad literely rocks with rock the mqarantz is to polite loads of detail that tends to gey lost in the presentstiom, the nad amp gives you a sense of where the drums are vocals are always centre i dont know the technical terms stereo imaging i think but there is a sense the sound fills the rooom rather than comes from the rightor left speaker.
...please let me know how you get on. ps try a nad player with the amp the as they seeem t complement eachother

on a nother very big topic very much discused i fund a russ andrerw power cabble now on offer with life time guarantee £30 was £45........ made a huge difference sure i was a sceptic but they offer a full return if you dont see improvement
go to rusS abdrews.com ,CABLES AND INTERCONECTS sure they sell some crazy expensive stuff but found the russ andrews power max mains lead it plugs directly to your iec socket gave me a tighter bass and better soundstage, sorry if this sonds like add for them i dont work for them i work for DVLA swanea any way good luck

A

Anonymous

hi rob , not sure about the russ abbott reccomendation
emotion-4.gif

but the nad c326bee is just awsome , its brilliant , even though im using a bluray player to playcds , the sound is beautiful , punchy , crisp , detailed , bassy , though not too bassy , im blown away , im off to bed now , but i cant wait to wake up so i can turn up the volume a bit , happy days , the best e340 ive ever spent
emotion-19.gif

rymidd

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
i agree brilliant for the money it has the same musical sound as my roksan kandy k2 but the nad is more punchy but the roksan is more smoother and refined. i have had other budget amps like rotel ra 01 which is poor compared to the nad c326bee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts