NAD or Marantz?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I've had problems with 2 new NAD C545BEE cd players. Also find that my amp, NAD C355BEE, has too much bass, but sounds very good. Now i have for probe the Marantz cd 6004. The bass is now more than with the NAD C545BEE! The NAD C545BEE sounds very lively with punch and attack. The highs of the Marantz is better. Very sweet. But the Marantz cd 6004 isn't a good match with the NAD C355BEE.

I will go for:

NAD C355BEE, NAD C545BEE (then hopely with a good one. Or will NAD come with a new modell?), MA RX 6 speakers, v.d. Hul 102, v.d. Hul cs-122 speakercable.

OR

Marantz pm 7004, Marantz cd 6004, MA RX 6 speakers, v.d. Hul 102, v.d. cs-122 speakercable

Your opinion?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'd say stick with the NAD amp, it's a great amp. The NAD C545 is the perfect match, but many people have reported problems with those units. I also had a defective one awhile back. I'd recommend keeping the NAD amp and switching to a better CDP like an audiolab, cyrus, or roksan. Those should mate well with the NAD amp.

T

the record spot

Worry less about the cables than the hardware. Leave the sideshow stuff to one side and concentrate on the stuff that matters. I just swapped out some Atlas Navigators for some Computergear interconnects (£200+ vs £7.99) and the latters are every bit as good. The core components and the quality of the source material = far more relevant.

I'd dump the 545 source and get the Marantz. If you've had problems with it, the change to the Marantz stuff will be far more hard-wearing. Owned a few Marantz bits over the years and never had an issue with their gear. Played often and never missed a beat.

matthewpiano

Quality control on the 545BEE is appalling. I'm a NAD fan. I like their kit and loved the C325BEE amp I had, and also the C326BEE. However, I wasn't at all impressed with the build quality of the 545BEE I had. Mine never caused any great problems apart from unacceptable transport noise, but I've heard lots of bad things about them and I know a couple of people who have had nothing but trouble. The Marantz machines are far better built and, IMO, they also sound better too.

A

Anonymous

Nad all the way for me.I have the 542 cd player and the 352 amp.I have not heard better at that sort of price level. Had marantz amps and cd players before and NAD beats them imo but it is very subjective. I love the power and drive of NAD amps coupled with the punchy slightly warm sound.I used to have an Arcam CD73 cd player too and i loved it but i prefer the c542 as it is punchier. It's really down to your own ears. Both manufacturers make great stuff ,i just prefer Nad.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't find the Marantz cd 6004 sounds better than the NAD C545BEE. It hasn't the punch, attack and lively sound from the NAD. But i think the Marantz is reliable and it looks very good.

I like a amp and cdp from the same company.

But for more than 1,5 year i heard the marantz pm 8003 with sa 8003 sacd player. I didn't like it with my music (rock, metal, pop). No lively, no (punchy) bass; a very boring sound.

A

Anonymous

nice forum..... i have a nad 325amp and a 525cdp running with audioquest cables thru b&w 685 speakers and the nad sound really great! im now trying to add my second set of speakers(685) to my system and have audition nad355, and cambridge tropaz....in this case the nad out performed the cambridge for me(subjective)....but i was also not too impressed with the 355 sound....i agree that the high frequencies are too bright. Also the amp bass drown the sound at low frequecies!.... havent listened to a marantz yet, but will be auditioning a rotel next weekend and will let you know.

anyone with advice on which amp to use to upgrade my system? would really like to add a second set of speakers

A

Anonymous

sorry meant to type high and low volumes not not frequencies

matthewpiano

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I've a similar problem, but with Rega and NAD, What amp should i buy...? NAD c326bee or Rega brio r?

The Rega is a far more balanced sounding amp than the C326BEE. Out of those two I'd opt for the Rega. The Rega will also stand more upgrades of your speakers and source equipment.

T

the record spot

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I've a similar problem, but with Rega and NAD, What amp should i buy...? NAD c326bee or Rega brio r?

Agree with MP; the NAD is good for its category by all accounts, but runs out of steam when you upgrade other components. The Rega is a different animal it seems and should withstand an upgrade or two.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts