NAD or Audiolab

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi ,

I have a pre-TAG Audiolab 8000S and Monitor Audio Silver 8i. Thinking of getting an Audiolab 8000CD to complete a system but also thinking of changing to the NAD - C545BEE CD player and C375BEE integrated amp. Which way to go ? I am after a tight bass but not too bright sound.My way to go are

1. Audiolab 8000CD, Audiolab 8000S, Monitor Audio Silver 8i or

2. NAD C545BEE, NAD C375BEE, Monitor Audio Silver 8i or

3. NAD C545BEE, Audiolab 8000S, Monitor Audio Silver 8i

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I found previous nad amps to have bags of bass but not the best control of it. But Audiolab (pre-tag) especially the early stuff can be very revealing/harsh to some.

What serial "letter" is your 8000s?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So what is the 'deal' with old pre-Maclaren vs brand-new Audiolab 8000 amps?

I have considered the (new) Audiolab 8000S but cannot find anyone with a kind word for it.

The price is a mystery too. Right now it is listed at anywhere from £260 to £499 depending on the dealer.

This makes it difficult to know which NAD to fairly compare it with as the prices would span virtually everything from the C315BEE right through to the C355BEE (or even the C372).

A

Anonymous

In the late 1990s, Audiolab was one of the best mid-range Hi Fi brands. What Hi Fi had an all Audiolab Reference System at about that time - Andrew Everard will remember those days - and I bought my Audiolab 8000CD, 8000S Integrated amp and 8000SX Power amp in about 1998.

I am not 100% sure about this but I believe that when TAG Maclaren bought Audiolab in the early 2000s, the chap behind the electronics side of Audiolab (and who was credited with a lot of Audiolab's success) left the company. And since then, things have not quite been the same in comparison. Hence the talk about pre-Tag Audiolab.....

Interestingly enough, that Audiolab chap (Peter Swift?) then joined (or bought out) Spendor the speaker makers. I think he is still there and doing a great job, as I have just bought a pair of Spendors to replace my old Missions
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AKL:Interestingly enough, that Audiolab chap (Peter Swift?) then joined (or bought out) Spendor the speaker makers. I think he is still there and doing a great job, as I have just bought a pair of Spendors to replace my old Missions
emotion-2.gif

Philip Swift & Derek Scotland.

Thanks for the historical details. I was aware of Audiolab back in the 1980s but hazy on what happened since. (Why don't they just dig out the old plans and make the 8000a again I wonder? A good amp is a good amp. Nothing changes there except better quality components possibly nowadays.)

The 8000A had tone controls and a decent phono-stage (I think).

A

Anonymous

Audiolab is now part of the IAG group, alongside Quad, Mission, Wharfedale and Castle Acoustics. They're made in China, though still apparently designed in the UK. Given that IAG bought the brand and admit to its 7 year absence from the market, I'd think there's little relationship between the old products and the new, even if the names are more-or-less the same.

matthewpiano

The 'new' 8000s is a very capable amp. I had one here for nearly a week recently on loan and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it, with the one caveat being a slight midrange thickness. I prefer my A400 but I would say the 8000s is well worth auditioning.

NAD stuff is also excellent.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I am in the same boat (need a CDP to use with my new 8000S) and I have considered both of the players the OP mention but I am waiting for reviews of the new C565BEE and suggest the OP does the same if he can stretch to it.

A

Anonymous

wai_siu_bow:

Hi ,

I have a pre-TAG Audiolab 8000S and Monitor Audio Silver 8i. Thinking of getting an Audiolab 8000CD to complete a system but also thinking of changing to the NAD - C545BEE CD player and C375BEE integrated amp. Which way to go ? I am after a tight bass but not too bright sound.My way to go are

1. Audiolab 8000CD, Audiolab 8000S, Monitor Audio Silver 8i or

2. NAD C545BEE, NAD C375BEE, Monitor Audio Silver 8i or

3. NAD C545BEE, Audiolab 8000S, Monitor Audio Silver 8i

Thanks

I had a pre-TAG Audiolab 8000S of 1996 vintage (see my signature for my other 1996 vintage cd, tuner and speakers) - since then I have changed amps a couple of time because of International relocations. The old 8000S has a crisp tight Bass (as you want) but it also very bright and sounds very thin at low volumes, but better balanced when cranked - thus not a good candidate for 'not too bright' as you request. Next was a Musical Fidelity A300 which is the opposite of the Audiolab -- fantasticly weighty sound at low volumes, but altogether a bit too much when dialled around, still a much better amp IMHO. The Krell I have now is in the middle of those two.

I'd say (without ever listening to one in my system) would be NAD, or get a secondhand MF A3.2.

A

Anonymous

My 8000S has an "E" in the serial number.

How is the NAD C545BEE compare to Audiolab 8000CD. I also understand that there is a "8000SE" model for the Audiolab. Is it as good as the 8000CD and C545BEE ? I am from Singapore and the price of the 8000CD is almost double the price of the C545BEE. So is it worth to get the audiolab just because I wanted to keep the 8000S.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

How do you find the sound at the moment? Is it too bright? I'd audition the amp/cd combo with the speakers before jumping in, if that's possible.

And, completely off the point, you wouldn't know a good recipe for Singapore Laksa, would you? I've been looking for one for years

A

Anonymous

chebby:
So what is the 'deal' with old pre-Maclaren vs brand-new Audiolab 8000 amps?

I have considered the (new) Audiolab 8000S but cannot find anyone with a kind word for it.

The price is a mystery too. Right now it is listed at anywhere from £260 to £499 depending on the dealer.

This makes it difficult to know which NAD to fairly compare it with as the prices would span virtually everything from the C315BEE right through to the C355BEE (or even the C372).

Plenty of posts already on Audiolab history but basically yes the current "IAG" 8000s was developed by the Tag guys, IIRC. I think its a steady 4* amp, very good, mid-price "HiFi" but outclassed for some by other £500+ players. Personally at the £299 I've seen it for most places, I reckon it'd wipe the floor with and £200-£300 NAD in terms of detail and clarity - but this is subjective as i've not heard the new IAG units myself. Dont forget there's a massive following for the TAG HiFi so the new Audiolab has some great heritage.

I went from a c340 (£270 in 1999) to the "cambridge/UK-built/pre-tag/pre-IAG/;)" 8000a (£500 in today's money, I think) and found the openness and clarity just astonishing. It probably lost some warmth in the process and may have been a tad leaner on the bass but detail in spades.

I think i've posted the same details recently on another post so sorry if its repetitive for some!
:)

I can't compare of course to the new NAD BEE units or the c372 but I cannot see the 315 competing with it at all.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
AKL:Interestingly enough, that Audiolab chap (Peter Swift?) then joined (or bought out) Spendor the speaker makers. I think he is still there and doing a great job, as I have just bought a pair of Spendors to replace my old Missions
emotion-2.gif

Philip Swift & Derek Scotland.

Thanks for the historical details. I was aware of Audiolab back in the 1980s but hazy on what happened since. (Why don't they just dig out the old plans and make the 8000a again I wonder? A good amp is a good amp. Nothing changes there except better quality components possibly nowadays.)

The 8000A had tone controls and a decent phono-stage (I think).

Wonderful phono stage :)

Oh and a great idea - remake it!!!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What is it youre really after out of your system?

IMO the Audiolabs bass doesnt compare to the NAD's but the Audiolab sound is smooth and detailed.

Having demo'd the Audiolab 8000 amp and CDP recently it didnt gel with me at all. I demo'd it through a set of M/A RS6's, M/A RS1,s B&W 684s and B&W 685s and although it was well timed and crips; the bass lacked and i didnt feel it suited the M/A speakers at all. BUT... Thats with my taste in music and obviously my hearing!

I stumped for the NAD C 352 integrated along with the NAD C542 CDP because the timing was just as good but the bass depth was much more controlled and punchier as well as a more authoritative treble and midrange.

TBH i will eventually be going for a Rega Apollo CDP but that will be late summer time i think as i demo'd that as well and it was superb.

A

Anonymous

Oh and to answer the question i'd go for option 3, NAD CDP with original (pre-tag) Amp. :)

I changed from a NAD 542 or was it 524? CDP (£250 in '99) to an arcam CD72T and didnt really notice any major improvement.

A

Anonymous

I run a IAG CD player through a pre tag 8000s and IAG 8000P, I'm very pleased with the system all round. I think the current 8000CD is very good but it does take a long time to burn in - I mean 3 or 4 weeks. I don't think MAs would be a good match though, I'm currently using a pair of Mission 751Fs, a very good combination. I also have a pair of Ruark Templars, another good match. If you thinking of new speakers, as I am, I've come think Spendors are very likely a good match though I havn't heard them yet.

A

Anonymous

I got a chance to listen to the NAD C515BEE/C315BEE with a pair of PSB_Alpha but I am not impressed with the sound. Bass is not deep enough and the separation is not so well defined. Is the NAD C545BEE in the same league as the Audiolab 8000CD ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO yes and if not better; much smoother midrange, treble and bang on the buck and the bass weight is sublime.

BUT to get the best out of that CDP i'd be looking at the NAD C355BEE amp or above to partner it with.

The C315BEE amp is a good lower end example; a good 'starter' amp but not in the same league as the Audiolab or the NAD

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
The reference speakers then were MA studio 20 SEs I think. I'm still running a set, and used to have a 8000s with them before going Tag McLaren. I always found them to be a good match, but it's all in the ears of the beholder. I liked the clarity, but other people might think it a bit thin or analytical.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts