JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This unit has had some good reviews recently and I'm seeing an ex dem one at not quite a 3rd off. My current amp is a NAD 390DD with the add on AAP card. So almost the exact same back panel , same power outout.

Has anyone ever compared the two or seen a comparison anywhere?

i know all things being equal double your money to get a real improvement. But the M32 is in a nice alloy case with a touch screen display where as my amp is inside a biscuit tin painted green, I do wonder where the extra money is going.

My source is a mac mini optical and usb connections with apple lossless and spotify connect speakers are old Dali's about the opticon or rubicon level.

Any toughts ?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
This unit has had some good reviews recently and I'm seeing an ex dem one at not quite a 3rd off. My current amp is a NAD 390DD with the add on AAP card. So almost the exact same back panel , same power outout.

Has anyone ever compared the two or seen a comparison anywhere? 

i know all things being equal double your money to get a real improvement. But the M32 is in a nice alloy case with a touch screen display where as my amp is inside a biscuit tin painted green, I do wonder where the extra money is going.

My source is a mac mini optical and usb connections with apple lossless and spotify connect speakers are old Dali's about the opticon or rubicon level.

Any toughts ?

Take a look at the internals on Google images and see for yourself.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Power amp and PSU look to be the same, so it shouldn't be a world of a difference power wise, though they probably tweaked it. The NAD you have is certainly no weakling to start with. Really beefy SMPS and Class D.

But the look and feel will certainly be a nice update. Love the looks of the Master NADs.

insider9

I get the feeling that they will sound different. But the biggest difference would be in functionality and looks.

Your amp has been compared to M2 in one of the reviews. I've heard M2 briefly. It was quite impressive in short demo, but I felt it wouldn't be amp for me at the time. Review I've read mentions C390DD having some warmth to it. Which depending on the speakers could be a good thing.

I'm not sure which DALI speakers you're using. Is it the IKON series? How would you describe the sound? Being ultra critical do you feel there's anything lacking?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

The problem is Andrew I don't really know what i'm looking at but I see Valdimir has had a look and thinks some parts are the same.

Insider, no they are even older than that Evidence 470's. I don't really feel anything is lacking on a day to day basis. the Bass depth is not what you'd really expect from 4x 6.5" cones but that said the mid/highs are extremly clear and defined compared to my last amp a pre power nad 118/216. was I listening to extension or bloat before?

Valdimir, Yeah the look and feel is a big pull to be honest thats the most of it

Thanks all for your feed back, I guess its just me and my credit card now

insider9

Big fan of DALI and if I'm honest the older the better
thumbs_up.png

Can you arrange a home demo from a respectable dealer?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Look and feel is important in Hi-Fi. People in Home Theater buy ugly power amps, stack them in the closet and call it a day. They stare at the screen. I stare at the amp.

Regarding the speaker bass. Splitting the work of a single 10" to equivalent 2x6.5" is in order to keep midrange clean and distortion free and maintain a slim form factor. Turn up the bass and you'll see it will bleed into the mids and muddy the waters. Dry bass is good fast, punchy and neutral bass.

2x5" = 1x8"

2x6.5" = 1x10"

2x8" = 1x12"

2x10"= 1x15"

10" two-way (or in your case 2x6.5" three-way) shouldn't sound bass heavy in a normal sized furnitured room. Moving them about should make more difference than swapping amps.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Valdimir,

In one of my other lives I have to work out ground loading pressures for lifting operations so I know how the numbers play out via surface area. I also remember my fathers speakers from the 70's. I'm currently listening to that lunatic Clem Bruke drumming on Eat to the Beat and I cant find a fault.I don't think they are bass light either. Can I admit its for the badge and the casework ?

James

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Big fan of DALI and if I'm honest the older the better ​

Times have changed insider9, I dont think they have dealears like that anymore, back then I had home demos lasting for weeks, chop and change . Mind you im 1998 £100 0 was alot more money than it is now,

I sent an email about the amp we will see

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
390DD has budget fit and finish, 90's look and a beer gut on the front plate. The remote is normal.

M32 looks sharp, modern, quality and has muscular eight pack on the top plate. The remote is BIG.

You go girl!
wink_smile.png

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
390DD has budget fit and finish, 90's look and a beer gut on the front plate. The remote is normal.

M32 looks sharp, modern, quality and has muscular eight pack on the top plate. The remote is BIG.

You go girl!

are you wishing me luck ?

insider9

JamesMellor said:
insider9 said:
Big fan of DALI and if I'm honest the older the better ​

Times have changed insider9, I dont think they have dealears like that anymore, back then I had home demos lasting for weeks, chop and change . Mind you im 1998 £100 0 was alot more money than it is now,

I sent an email about the amp we will see
Were they from that long ago? That's excellent! Oldest DALI I've owned were from 1994 - DALI 104. They were my favourite by some distance. Never heard heard yours, but I've pretty much liked every pair of DALI speakers I've heard.

D

Deleted member 160668

James, curiosity but do you mind me asking exactly how much?

I may get the option to buy one in Nov for what I think is a great price. I’m pretty decided already if it happens and have read loads of reviews. On paper it’s very decent and looks great

Cheers,

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Its £2400, they have a deal going at the moment with £600 of a new one so I guess thats pushed the exdem prices down a bit.

James

I've just spent a few minutes looking at images and checking the specs etc
Regards performance I think they are almost identical.
Same power output 8, 4 and 2 ohm
Both 18amp max
And both share a very high damping factor of 800.

How they compare sound wise though is a guess as I've not heard them.
I would imagine very close

As far as looks and build quality, now that's a different story as the m32 looks much better.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Andrew,

Thanks for looking , These are the numbers I saw and the first question I asked, I think everyone in this thread including me knows this is the reason:

"As far as looks and build quality, now that's a different story as the m32 looks much better.`"

I sent an email we will see. If it dosnt happen I will wait out the last 6 months of the warrenty on my amp and then look again.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone pulled the trigger tonight, collect it on Sat morning , also pulled the trigger on Roon as I am convinced the raat to nad usb is better than the raw optical output.

Jame

D

Deleted member 160668

Congrats on the purchase.

Id be very interested to hear your thoughts once you’ve given it a good listen.

If I get the option to buy mine in Nov then I’m going in blind. Reviews look great but it’d be good to hear 1st hand what you reckon.

Cheers,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts