Nad C541i CD player not reading CDs correctly

DrPips

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've had the above CD player for a few years now and I am very happy with it, however, just recently the player will not read CDs properly. When I insert a disc, it will spin for a very long time before it finds the number of tracks etc and is ready to play. It will play the first track ok, but if I want to skip, it just keeps on spinning as if it is looking for the track and eventually gives up and just stops.

Any ideas as to the problem? Is it something I can fix myself, or should I just throw it away and use my Samsung Blueray player to play CDs from now on?

Thanks,

Dom

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm no expert, though this could be down to all manner of faults. If you're lucky it could be something as simple as a dirty lens. Before you retire the player, I'd definitely try a CD Lens cleaning disc, which you can pick up for a few quid.

Others may have other suggestions or tips.

DrPips

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Woohooo!!! Just tried cleaning the lens with my DSLR camera lens cleaning kit and it seems to have worked. I suppose I should have though of cleaning the lens myself, but just goes to show what a numpty I am!

Thanks a lot,

Dom

A

Anonymous

Just come across this post. I have the same CD player with the exact same problem. Was worried that it may be signalling it was about time to get a new one.

Haven't got a lens cleaning CD yet but hopefully it will cure the problem.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It's possible it could be an optics problem, but equally likely that the travel shafts need cleaning at their ends, which is possibly why the laser can't position itself dead centre to read the TOC (table of contents). In a way this is good news, because the laser sounds OK. Contact a good audio technician recommended by your local hi-fi retailer, and the bill shouldn't really exceed about £50 (not including the call out charge). Most good techs will service the optics and travel at the same time and leave nothing to chance.

A

Anonymous

Jimmyb983 said:
Just come across this post. I have the same CD player with the exact same problem. Was worried that it may be signalling it was about time to get a new one.

Haven't got a lens cleaning CD yet but hopefully it will cure the problem.

Maybe it is time for a new laser. Open a lid and check a laser model number and mechanism model number. You can get it new one from ebay for ten pounds completed with mechanism, or just a laser head even cheaper then cleaning disc. Cleaning not always a solution because lasers wear out with time. Very simple to replace, just did it for Cambridge Audio D300SE.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts