NAD C541i - barely works anymore... Anyone else have similar problems?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else around here has / had a NAD C541i CD player (or any relatively recent NAD CD player for that matter) that's eventually stopped playing discs? I purchased mine about 6 years ago along with a wonderful C370 Integrated Amp (which is built like a tank and has provided me with years of enjoyment). But about two years ago the player started skipping mercilessly on certain CDs and the problem eventually got worse and worse. Sometimes it didn't even recognize there was a disc loaded. Other times it would play as normal, but the problem seemed very random (regardless of disc, of which mine are all very clean btw).

Since this is my bedroom stereo, which is also hooked up to my computer, I packed up the CD Player last year and stuffed it under the bed with the intention of taking it to my local shop for repairs. Of course it's just been sitting there.

My question is - has anyone else had similar problems and discovered what they were? Is it worth it to repair?

I really loved the sound of the player and I miss it. I feel like I haven't really heard some of my music in a very long time . . .

Mike

matthewpiano

Its worth trying a lens cleaning disc. It might just be a bit of dirt on the lens.

Failing that, unless you can source a new laser mechanism and have the confidence to install it yourself, I'd be looking at snapping up one of the end of line C542 players that are about.

I have read before of some long term reliability issues with NAD players and I've got an old C521BEE that was starting to play up. Trouble is, they have a very particular NAD sound and if its what you like there isn't any getting away from it. I believe their more recent players are generally stronger, although there have been some issues with draws sticking on the C315BEE.

A

Anonymous

Might also be the transport sticking, and some cleaning plus a drop of lubricant may solve the problem. There's plenty of info on the web about how to do it - just make sure your player has been unplugged for a while before you try it!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
And your complaining? You lucky sod! I spent 12 long years waiting for my old crappy projection tv to break. Wifey kept saying "what's wrong with our TV?" when I'd drool over a new plasma. Finally had to dump a coke into the back while she was at the grocery store...

6 years man. That's decent service from a machine with moving parts. This is your chance! Live a little. Start looking for a new one.

A

Anonymous

Haha, well I don't really want to be plunking down another couple hundred on yet another disc player! I just bought a Panasonic blu-ray player, but needed to keep the Denon DVD player because it plays DVD-Audio & SACD, and I have a JVC 5 disc CD player for parties, but it's little good for anything else.

For playing music CD's the NAD was tops, and I'm wary of getting a new NAD player. In Toronto there's not much else in the same price range that will sound as nice . . .

I guess I've just convinced myself to fix the old one. I'll try a lens cleaner first. I don't want to open the player up and fiddle around with things myself, so if that doesn't work I'll take it in for repairs.

Mike

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
MurcieMe:

but needed to keep the Denon DVD player because it plays DVD-Audio & SACD...

Mike,

You can use the digital out on the Denon DVD player (when playing CDs) to send a digital stream to the Cambridge Audio DACMagic. DACMagic is a top flight DAC with 2 wolfson DACs running in dual differential mode. This will give you pristine CD playback. DACMagic is very reasonably priced. Check it out.

-Jax

A

Anonymous

..in the interests of balance I had a NAD CDP for 10 years and it never skipped once or refused to play a single disc :)

Sorry......didnt want the good name of NAD being written off as unreliable. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts