NAD C356BEE vs Leema Tucana Mk 1

Wizerureka0123

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Saw on e-bay for an old used Leema Tucana Mk 1. Is it worth replacing the NAD which is a lot more recent product with better electronics (I assume) than the Leema Mk 1? Will it be an amp upgrade or not worth it. Never heard a Leema amp so just asking from any who own one or have heard it. Thanks everyone.

Hiya.

No comparison. the Nad retailed around £450 while the MKI Tucana was about £3,000. That said, the Nad will be warmer but won't as revealing or insightful as the Leema.

I've also owned the entry-level Leema Pulse: Significantly better than any budget amps.

What speakers and source do you have, and are you looking for a change?

Wizerureka0123

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Is it because of price alone - the sonic difference? Had a Roksan amp 125 watts per channel a while back...with no bass, treble contols but a WH 5* amp. But amp couldnt drive my 6 ohm speakers, literally no bass ... good treble with my Opera Quinta floorstanders. Posted problem on WHifi for help. Bought NAD 356 but then never needed to use the bass or treble controls ever again! Heaps of bass and treble from the NAD! Now my Marantz KI 63 CD player is dead and just repaced with a old Antilla because of user reviews. The sound is...excellent...more bass, more music, I think it brings out everything a recorded CD has to offer! Very impressed.

So this is why I'm thinking of the old Leema Tucana amp to partner with...but afraid will be similar to the Roksam 125 watts pc amp without tone or bass controls.

Grateful for feedback as sale closing....Thnxs again.

If you have a Leema Antilla CDP then a Tucana MKI is a no-brainer. If my main source was CDPs the Antilla would be top of the list to audition.

The only fly in the ointment is I've not heard your speakers. But 6 ohms wouldn't be a problem for either Leema Pulse or Tucana.

When I had the Pulse I auditioned Totem Arros, which are tricky to drive. No problem.

Indeed. I couldn't tell you how different the MKII is over the MKI. I purchased mine on a whim, hoping - correctly - the presentation would be the same (or similar) to the Pulse.

Again, can I emphasise that I'm not familiar with your speakers, otherwise.... *good*

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
You are lucky it was won. NAD are totally decent amps (like Rotels too), you probably didn't had any improvment if you had get the Lema.

I read you are lucky about your NAD, so why change?

NAD are usually very good products at the right price, they are used in professional environments too (like recording studios) and well supported.

Wizerureka0123

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Got the NAD after the Roksan couldnt drive my floorstanders. Yes, major improvement in all areas..spacious..all round. When I got the old Leema Antilla....I was quite surprised what it delivered....everything was amazing. I could tell a double bass was being played and feel the bass drum skin beat on the drum...that at low volume! The bass guitar supplementing it and the mid-range is as if you are there live.

This is why I suddenly decided the Tucana is the amo to have! But you may be right and Tucana could just be a step sideways....the NAD is good, very good indeed. The Tucana still bugs me....

MaxD said:
You are lucky it was won. NAD are totally decent amps (like Rotels too), you probably didn't had any improvment if you had get the Lema.

I read you are lucky about your NAD, so why change?

NAD are usually very good products at the right price, they are used in professional environments too (like recording studios) and well supported.

Spoken like a chap that's never heard a Leema...... ;-)

"Also thinking about MF A5 amp if I don't win it."

Are you not looking for quantity over quality? How loud do you play your music?

Roksan, depending on what model you had, but if it's the Kandy that'll either have 120 watts or the later models 130, whereas your Nad has 80 watts. Not sure how the Roksan can be deficient in that area.

Although the MF A5 is powerful, in terms of overall sound quality, it'll be a sideways step at best over the Nad.

Wizerureka0123

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
The MF A5 is an off shoot wish I had from a long time ago because of the 250 wattage pc on offer. More power more music and contol? I listen fairly loud...and sometimes the bass goes "gooey and extended" with some CDs not all. Definitely looking for quality over quantity.

Previous amp was the Roksan Kandy Mk III at 125 wpc. Replaced twice by store - I think the electronics didnt match the Opera Quintas - heavy, big and tall but not well known Italian FS purchased from Scotland store. So amp was replaced by the NAD C356BEE supported by BK XXLS 400 that replaced REL Stadium MK 2 - too big.

The discontinued NAD 370 ... thought about it but the Leema Antilla proved to me hi-end kit at a reasonable price, of course, does offer major improvement...not subtle!

The NAD remains until I can find a Leema Tucana at my price range or until I find or hear something better than the Leema kit.

Wizerureka0123

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Finally hunted down and got a used Leema Tucana II amplifier but it's in black against the white Leema CDP - can live with it as it's the music that matters. To me the Leema's music and soudstage is excellent and a lot better than the NAD C356BEE that I've now sold - Shemekia Copeland's: Turn the Heat Up CD album sounds so realistic!

But having read the manual, Leema recommends use of quality cables. At the moment am using a GAC-1 interconnect plus a 'mixture' of Oehlbach thick wires and un-named speaker red/white wires of various lengths and gauge joined up to reach where the speakers are in the corner. Because of the room's layout, would need in excess of 18 metres of speaker wire (5m for the left & 13m for the right). Had previously used Chord Carnival Silver Plus for the left speaker only as the other one couldn't reach and so sold them. System continue to be played with aforementioned wires!

Any recommendations for a mid-range interconnect and speaker wires. Would the overall sound improve. Am looking at the Missing Link Silver Surfer (£72) and Talk Cable 3 (Mk 2) at £4 a metre. Am I driving off the track here? Don't wish to spend much on them.

System: Leema Antila, Leema Tucana, Opera Quinta Speakers, BK XXLS400DF subwoofer

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If what you have makes you want to listen to music all the time don't bother changing anything ... . It'll most likely end in continuous changes and costs a fortune.

Having said that you're probably already to far in.

My 2c's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts