NAD C352 amp owners!

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi.

I've come to the conclusion that I need some better speakers for my NAD amp - currently got MS 902i's and although the highs are very nice, the lows/bass are soft, boomy and not detailed. So I've shortlisted the following and just wondered if anyone has experience with any of them with the NAD amp.

Monitor Audio RS1,

Epos M5,

B&W 686/685,

Any other suggestions?

Basically I'm not a huge bass fan but like it to be tight, punchy and detailed, and will give you that thumping chest sensation when turned up loud! But not boomy and resonant so as to make the whole house shake!

Your advice would be great! Cheers!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

What budget are you working with?

For standmounts, Totem Rainmakers are quite punchy!

A

Anonymous

I heartily agree with brock. The rainmakers bring a lot to the table for the money. They produce more bass than all the other's you've mentioned. Down to 42Hz, very tight.

William Boyd

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Try the Epos M12i which, once you're up around the price of the 686, aren't that much more of a jump up.

I recently tested the superfi package deal - C352 + C452 with the M5, B&W 685 and M12i. Overall impressions were: M5 had nice detail but quite harsh on the ears when pushed into the middle third of the amp's range; the B&W had nicer bass but was a bit sterile and lacked the M5's detail; the M12i had the M5's soundstage but balanced with a much better bass presentation and were still musical when pushed into the amp's optimum range. I found that the 685's were a bit bland in comparison to the M12is.

This was across a range of music: rock (QOTSA; Tim Rogers); pop (Sleepy Jackson; Augie March); bluegrass rock (Dillard & Clark).

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="brock_boogie"]

What budget are you working with?

[/quote]

About £250- £350 tops. I think the m12i's are way out my price range and the m5's appeal to me cos they are going cheap at the moment to make way for the m5i's.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
You could definitly consider the B&W 685's. I wouldnt go for ther M/A RS1s as theyre a little bass light although still very good speakers.

If youre looking at a budget of £350 tops then you can always go for decent 2nd hand speakers off Ebay or olther'hi-fi' 2nd hand places on the net.

B&W 602 S2 and S3 speakers are very good and will work brilliantly with the NAD C352. You could also consider the B&W 603 S3 floorstanders. The 602's need good stands so anything like the Atacama SE20 or 24 stands filled with atabites would be good, all can be got via Ebay.

Even though the B&W 602 S2/S3 speakers are 2nd hand and range from 8 to 3 years old, theyre still very good, and to mee, the B&W 685's arent that much better even though theyre the new range

The B&W 602's have very good bass weight (they are large stand mount speakers) but they also have very good midrange thats well timed as well as crisp/clear treble. The bass is very deep and well timed, not muddy/mushy at all.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="mattc76"]About £250- £350 tops. I think the m12i's are way out my price range and the m5's appeal to me cos they are going cheap at the moment to make way for the m5i's.[/quote]

Superseded 12.2
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I used to use the nad amp with an arcam cd73 and pair of b&w cm2 speakers, the sound was great so id go for b&w 686/685, but as always your ears will be the best judge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts