NAD 516BEE CD Player Concern

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, thanks to those on the forum who have helped me in recent months with their patient and thoughtful posts to some, perhaps obvious, questions.

I have finally leapt into the world of hi-fi separates with the following:

Exposure 1010 amp

NAD 516BEE CD Player

Acoustic Energy 103 floorstander speakers

I confess to buying blind for several reasons: a lack of availability of dealers with this gear within reasonable driving distance; lack of free time; etc.

I also felt that, since hi-fi was relatively new to me, I couldn't be sure to trust my ears and know what sounded good and what didn't. I felt I had little to lose by buying a system and learning from it - what I liked about how it portrayed this or that record, what I didn't - it would all serve me well in the future.

That said, I am very happy with it - the amp and speakers seem especially wonderful with voices in Renaissance polyphony and solo piano.

My only worry is with the CD Player, which gives a wonderful presentation to the sound, but it seems excessively fussy with discs. I have over 200 classical discs, some quite old and procured second-hand, and this player can often be heard clicking if there is even a single speck of dust or hairline scratch on the disc. This is a problem with solo piano and polyphony works, as it can be heard under the music. Sometimes the clicking is low, othertimes it's unbearably loud. I can play the same discs on my Denon M38 without any issues.

Is this a sign of a fault or a good player doing its job? It's obviously new and so returnable (I took delivery last Tuesday) but I wonder if this is classed as a fault or simply superior CD reading?

'but I wonder if this is classed as a fault or simply superior CD reading?'

Yes, I'd say a fault especially if your Denon plays same disc with no problem.

I'd send it back and ask for a replacement to try.

If it's doing it from new it is not going to get any better.

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Matthew. It really is a lovely piece of kit. The only strange issue I have noticed sonically is with low orchestral strings (like the basses in the Adagietto from Mahler 5, or the bass line in Mahler 4's slow movement) which seems to resonate curiously. I don't know if this would be characterised as 'bass bloom' or cabinet resonance or a room issue or because the speakers haven't been run in yet. The bass seems to be resonating as if its about to turn into feedback (or something)...hard to describe.

As for the NAD, I will be taking the advice of Al Ears and yourself and returning it for a new machine. Much obliged for the confirmation that it is abnormal!

TRENDING THREADS