NAD 5120 Turntable With Shure M75 Type D Cartridge

calingrigore

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have the chance to buy a NAD 5120 Turntable with a new Shure M75 Type D cartridge. I am new to vinyl so I do not know what to expect from it. I did some search and it looks the 5120 is made by Tesla (currently Pro-Ject) and tuned or made for NAD.

What do you think of this combination NAD 5120 with new Shure M75 Type D for about 60 GBP?

Cheers,

Calin

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
calingrigore said:
Hello,

I have the chance to buy a NAD 5120 Turntable with a new Shure M75 Type D cartridge. I am new to vinyl so I do not know what to expect from it. I did some search and it looks the 5120 is made by Tesla (currently Pro-Ject) and tuned or made for NAD.

What do you think of this combination NAD 5120 with new Shure M75 Type D for about 60 GBP?

Cheers,

Calin

It was originally the Tesla NC-470 made in the Tesla factory in Litovel in the old Czechoslovakia. (Long before it became Pro-ject.)

Some history.

I suggest - if it's in good working condition - that you buy it as an interesting historical item. (It is thirty years old now and a bit novel.) But only if it is the version with the flat plastic arm.

Oh, buy it anyway. Can't be that expensive and it could be a laugh. (Might even be good.)

Drummerman will probably buy it from you if you don't like it. He likes a project. (No pun intended.)

calingrigore

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for the replies! I'm very tempted to buy it, I'll decide by Monday. It's in good condition I really like the fact that it has a nice story (the model, not this particular unit) and is designed by Jiri Janda.

The unit is the one with the flat arm and in good condition: you can see it here. The site is in Romanian, but the photos are good. A warranty is included and there are a few shops here selling used hifi that offer warranty 6-12 months and free service labor after the warranty (so, the customer will only pay for replacement parts).

I bought the rest of my gear both for the reputation and the history of the brands (the amp and speakers are new, so no history for the specific models :) ): Marantz amp and Wharfedale speakers, which are also on their way, I'll probably have them in one week from now.

PS1: I can also buy a NAD 5120 for about 20 GBP, with the original Tesla cartridge, no stylus. A little DIY to do the research and get more into the world of turntables and cartridges is tempting. Still, I'll probably go with the one that is already set-up with an unused Shure M75 cartridge and Shure N71 stylus.

PS2: I hope I'll like the toy and not want to sell it to Drummerman, but good to know someone could be interested. :)

Cheers,

Calin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts