NAD 3155 Phono Stage

Kaline

Feb 15, 2022
Visit site
Kind of a strange question, but here goes. My buddy recently loaned me his NAD 3155 integrated amp. As someone that has been using AV receivers his entire life, I was, to be blunt, blown away.

There is a problem, however, with the metal cap (for lack of a better term) on the right channel of the phono input on the back of the amp. It came off. Putting it back on doesn't fix the horrible hum. I'm assuming this cap is grounded, and since it came off, that connection needs to be soldered or something.

My question is, would I be better off getting that input fixed by a pro and using that, or would using something like the ifi zen phono preamp be better than what the 3155 offers (assuming it's fixed)? I don't know how much the repair will cost yet.

Thanks!

Gray

I reckon the Zen phono might be quite good, but only you can decide between it and the repaired Nad in terms of it's sound.

I wouldn't want to spend too much on what should be a relatively simple repair.
If you've still got the detached 'cap'.....would be a case of comparing with the other channel's socket and refitting.... or even, if necessary, hard-wiring to the PCB, thus avoiding the socket.

Where are you based?

Kaline

Feb 15, 2022
Visit site
@Gray I'm in Minneapolis. I'm with you on not spending much. I'm probably more curious if anyone has experience with the 3155 phono stage. I've read it is pretty good - mm/mc and capacitance selections.

@nads I don't have a picture, but the metal cap has two prongs at the end of it. One of the prongs broke off.

The newer rca cables with the death-grip connections are tough on older equipment...

Reactions: Gray

nads

IMG_20200906_144657.jpg.6a37673627b2c9a2dfebec12eabe9495.jpg

the thing with the earth symbol?

Gray

Yep definitely a repair candidate (my passport's expired so I can't come over from England, sorry).

With those 2 Philips screws (either side of the sockets) removed the sockets (and probably a small phono board) will detach inwards - removal will make repair easier (for someone).
Like I said, worse case, both sockets get replaced with wires soldered* directly to PCB.
No repair - not an option (y)

* Or 'Soddered' as all Americans pronounce it.

Reactions: Kaline and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts