NAD 3020e time to retire?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My amp is a very old NAD 320e, so old that the CD input also reads Aux.

I have purchased a Sony BDP-S550 which decodes everything within the player.

This week I purchased Neil Young Archives Vol 1 on blu ray and to be honest the difference between the audio from the player through the amp, 192kHz/24 bit via analogue and the MP3's that can be downloaded at 256mbps which are fed from an Apple TV via analogue, is slight. The jump from the phono stage in terms of presence and so on is marked but definitely less so with devices that are digital.

Either my hearing is going, snake oil has been drunk or my amp is not up to it.

Suggestions for my next upgrade please?

Cheers.

T

the record spot

Not so sure about the phono stage in the 3020e, but I found the synergy in my own system improved with re-introducing my 3020A (somewhat older!) to the proceedings. In fact, it was the first time in years it had been used seriously and it sounds fabulous. Not hooked up my t/t just yet (impractical currently) but there is a super balance with the Mission speakers and the Marantz CDP. So much so, I'm seeking out a power amp to attach to the NAD (it has the means to take one going by what's on the back).

EDIT: To put an answer in to your query, rather than just wax lyrical about how pleased I am (!), the current batch of NAD kit gets good reviews, but some dealers are less than convinced (well, one which I know if doesn't rate it at all compared to the older NAD range).

If you do like that kind of full bodied sound, The Arcam Alpha series - if you don't mind going down the used route - is worth a look; great build, good rich sound, still work well today, etc. Of the newer set of kit, a lot out there, but some are either too warm, others too forthright, so you may need to have a listen across the board to a few to find the right synergy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I had two NAD 3020's from 1979 - 87 (a 3020 original and a 3020B) but skipped the 3020e and ended up getting a QED A-240SA instead.

The latest '3020' in the guise of a NAD C326BEE should do the job nicely. Or a bargain C325BEE if you can find one.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
robtodd:
My amp is a very old NAD 320e, so old that the CD input also reads Aux.

I have purchased a Sony BDP-S550 which decodes everything within the player.

This week I purchased Neil Young Archives Vol 1 on blu ray and to be honest the difference between the audio from the player through the amp, 192kHz/24 bit via analogue and the MP3's that can be downloaded at 256mbps which are fed from an Apple TV via analogue, is slight. The jump from the phono stage in terms of presence and so on is marked but definitely less so with devices that are digital.

Either my hearing is going, snake oil has been drunk or my amp is not up to it.

Suggestions for my next upgrade please?

Cheers.

Well the BDP is a movie player and MP3 is a half-way music house. If your TT sounds good then get yourself a decent CDP or DAC and you will notice a substantial difference.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Folks

Thanks for your input.

I think my original query has been missed, being the fact that the BDP delivering the full audio possible from the Archives is matched by the Apple TV which is plainly wrong unless there is some jiggery pokery going on in the Apple TV.

I don't think my ears are all to hell here as the difference between regular CDs and DVDA is noticeable.

Anyhow thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts