N or G network

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
My current set up is to create a wifi network using an airport express, however it is only an 802.11G spec (i.e. old). My iMac is also old too and only has a 'G' card in it. However, my apple tv and ipad are 'N' capable. I have a new airport express which I set up to join the existing network. It could create a 'N' based network if I connected it to the modem.

So, if I swapped the AEs around would i have an N network but what happens to my imac and old AE ...would i still be able to connect by wifi? I could probably retire the old AE, because I could stream to my hifi using the Apple Tv rather than AE, so my main concern is my computer.

Connecting around the house is generally okay but there are patches where its occassionally a bit dodgy and its becoming more regular for family to be connecting to internet / NAS on multiple devices so I would like things to be as robust as possible but obviously don't want to stop certain things working!!

(I did see some cheap software that turns certain old iMacs into N capable but mine is SO old that software isnt compatible!)

thanks for the assistance

Chisy

scene

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts