My wish-list for 2009

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evening all

There’s only two hours to go before the big event, so I before I shut down the Mac and dig into a drink or three, here (in no particular order) is my fantasy 'wish list' of new developments for home entertainment in 2009. What about you? 

1. Panasonic to deliver a Freesat-enabled TV with a PVR built-in. I like these Panny TVs, but it's insane that you can't record on them, nor transfer your HD viewing to an external box. So Panasonic, let's see a Freesat TV with, ooh, 500GB built in and two tuners.

2. An end to misleading advertising claims like 'see it all in glorious HD'. I'm sorry Freesat, but a few hours of new content per day on just two channels doesn't constitute 'seeing it all' to me.Toshiba's 'world's first upscaling TV' claim is even more ridiculous.

3. Bigger hard-disks on, ooh, everything. An Apple TV with a terabyte. A Sky+HD box with the same. An iPhone with 80GB or so, and a Touch with 120GB. And more effort put into making each of these products run more reliably and more quietly.

4. Everyone involved in the design and manufacture of TVs to sit on their hands, take a deep breath or two and realise that many a punter is already deeply confused by notions like HD-Ready and HD-Ready 1080p. Throwing out yet another new standard (Ultra-HD, 4K TV or whatever you choose to call it) isn't really going to help. Instead of chasing pixels, let's chase other aspects of picture performance for a while – more contrast, better colours, smoother motion, less noise, more powerful processing, that sort of thing. What about it?

5. Someone, somewhere to turn out a competitive AV receiver that sounds great with music. I've heard a lot of good things about the new Arcam, but it's beyond the reach of most. What about a decent £500 design that does the lot? It can't be that hard, it really can't.Chuck out anything we don't need, leave in what counts…

6. On that subject – everyone to fit more HDMI inputs to AV receivers now, please. Two or three just isn't enough. I've used up all four on my big Denon and now find myself needing more, although I'll freely admit I'm not your average punter… 

7. Fox to release the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray. No, not the godawful new ones! Ideally, I'd like them in original, unmolested form, with the so-called digital upgrades available as a menu option. 

8. Sony to develop an HD-audio output firmware upgrade for the PS3. We've established (after long debate on this website and in print) that in practice it doesn't amount to much whether you stream your audio from your Blu-ray player as PCM or decode it on the player to DolbyTrueHD et al – but let's be honest, most AV amp owners want to see their receivers swing into decoding action, regardless of whether the end results are actually better or not. 

9. Apple to offer Lossless as a download option on the iTunes store. True, we'll all need to be using properly fast broadband for that to make any sense, but still.

10. And finally: an end to Profile 1.1 Blu-ray players, coupled to dramatic increases in disc-access times and overall reliability even in Profile 2.0 kit. If Blu-ray is going to thrive, it needs to provide a user-experience as modern and exciting as its picture and sound performance. Currently, it doesn't – in fact in some circumstances it can be positively agricultural, as labour-intensive and time-consuming to operate as VHS or laserdisc. Don't get me wrong, I like the format a lot, but this really isn't good enough!

That's it. Fire away, and Happy New Year, everyone!

Andy 

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Doi'nt have any suggestions yet as im replying on the wrong side of NYE, (Happy New Year All!), but i heartily echo point 4, and think most AV manufacturers need to take a long hard look at any new kit they're planning and think "but is it just a cash grab and does it genuinely add anytyhing...?).

Theres too much new stuiff coming out too frequently. Hopefully the recesion will sort that.

Mind, if anyone has the skinny on new panny blu rays, do tell...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andy Kerr:

Evening all

There's only two hours to go before the big event, so I before I shut down the Mac and dig into a drink or three, here (in no particular order) is my fantasy 'wish list' of new developments for home entertainment in 2009. What about you?ÿ

1. Panasonic to deliver a Freesat-enabled TV with a PVR built-in. I like these Panny TVs, but it's insane that you can't record on them, nor transfer your HD viewing to an external box. So Panasonic, let's see a Freesat TV with, ooh, 500GB built in and two tuners.

ÿ2. An end to misleading advertising claims like 'see it all in glorious HD'. I'm sorry Freesat, but a few hours of new content per day on just two channels doesn't constitute 'seeing it all' to me.Toshiba's 'world's first upscaling TV' claim is even more ridiculous.

3. Bigger hard-disks on, ooh, everything. An Apple TV with a terabyte. A Sky+HD box with the same. An iPhone with 80GB or so, and a Touch with 120GB. And more effort put into making each of these products run more reliably and more quietly.

4. Everyone involved in the design and manufacture of TVs to sit on their hands, take a deep breath or two and realise that many a punter is already deeply confused by notions like HD-Ready and HD-Ready 1080p. Throwing out yet another new standard (Ultra-HD, 4K TV or whatever you choose to call it) isn't really going to help. Instead of chasing pixels, let's chase other aspects of picture performance for a while - more contrast, better colours, smoother motion, less noise, more powerful processing, that sort of thing. What about it?

5. Someone, somewhere to turn out a competitive AV receiver that sounds great with music. I've heard a lot of good things about the new Arcam, but it's beyond the reach of most. What about a decent £500 design that does the lot? It can't be that hard, it really can't.Chuck out anything we don't need, leave in what counts.

6. On that subject - everyone to fit more HDMI inputs to AV receivers now, please. Two or three just isn't enough. I've used up all four on my big Denon and now find myself needing more, although I'll freely admit I'm not your average punter.ÿ

7. Fox to release the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray. No, not the godawful new ones! Ideally, I'd like them in original, unmolested form, with the so-called digital upgrades available as a menu option.ÿ

8. Sony to develop an HD-audio output firmware upgrade for the PS3. We've established (after long debate on this website and in print) that in practice it doesn't amount to much whether you stream your audio from your Blu-ray player as PCM or decode it on the player to DolbyTrueHD et al - but let's be honest, most AV amp owners want to see their receivers swing into decoding action, regardless of whether the end results are actually better or not.ÿ

9. Apple to offer Lossless as a download option on the iTunes store. True, we'll all need to be using properly fast broadband for that to make any sense, but still.

10. And finally: an end to Profile 1.1 Blu-ray players, coupled to dramatic increases in disc-access times and overall reliability even in Profile 2.0 kit. If Blu-ray is going to thrive, it needs to provide a user-experience as modern and exciting as its picture and sound performance. Currently, it doesn't - in fact in some circumstances it can be positively agricultural, as labour-intensive and time-consuming to operate as VHS or laserdisc. Don't get me wrong, I like the format a lot, but this really isn't good enough!

Andyÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿÿ

Does anyone else not really understand this? I suppose I should read the TV reviews in the mag, but honestly I'd rather eat turkey and sprouts. You are correct in that the average punter is confused by all this HD jargon, and much more. Surely these companies can market things better than they currently do, in fact a small child could market things better.

ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Andy Kerr:

Evening all

There's only two hours to go before the big event, so I before I shut down the Mac and dig into a drink or three, here (in no particular order) is my fantasy 'wish list' of new developments for home entertainment in 2009. What about you?ÿ

ÿ2. An end to misleading advertising claims like 'see it all in glorious HD'. I'm sorry Freesat, but a few hours of new content per day on just two channels doesn't constitute 'seeing it all' to me.Toshiba's 'world's first upscaling TV' claim is even more ridiculous.

4. Everyone involved in the design and manufacture of TVs to sit on their hands, take a deep breath or two and realise that many a punter is already deeply confused by notions like HD-Ready and HD-Ready 1080p. Throwing out yet another new standard (Ultra-HD, 4K TV or whatever you choose to call it) isn't really going to help. Instead of chasing pixels, let's chase other aspects of picture performance for a while - more contrast, better colours, smoother motion, less noise, more powerful processing, that sort of thing. What about it?

5. Someone, somewhere to turn out a competitive AV receiver that sounds great with music. I've heard a lot of good things about the new Arcam, but it's beyond the reach of most. What about a decent £500 design that does the lot? It can't be that hard, it really can't.Chuck out anything we don't need, leave in what counts.

6. On that subject - everyone to fit more HDMI inputs to AV receivers now, please. Two or three just isn't enough. I've used up all four on my big Denon and now find myself needing more, although I'll freely admit I'm not your average punter.ÿ

7. Fox to release the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray. No, not the godawful new ones! Ideally, I'd like them in original, unmolested form, with the so-called digital upgrades available as a menu option.ÿ

8. Sony to develop an HD-audio output firmware upgrade for the PS3. We've established (after long debate on this website and in print) that in practice it doesn't amount to much whether you stream your audio from your Blu-ray player as PCM or decode it on the player to DolbyTrueHD et al - but let's be honest, most AV amp owners want to see their receivers swing into decoding action, regardless of whether the end results are actually better or not.ÿ

10. And finally: an end to Profile 1.1 Blu-ray players, coupled to dramatic increases in disc-access times and overall reliability even in Profile 2.0 kit. If Blu-ray is going to thrive, it needs to provide a user-experience as modern and exciting as its picture and sound performance. Currently, it doesn't - in fact in some circumstances it can be positively agricultural, as labour-intensive and time-consuming to operate as VHS or laserdisc. Don't get me wrong, I like the format a lot, but this really isn't good enough!

Andyÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿÿ

Does anyone else not really understand this? I suppose I should read the TV reviews in the mag, but honestly I'd rather eat turkey and sprouts. You are correct in that the average punter is confused by all this HD jargon, and much more. Surely these companies can market things better than they currently do, in fact a small child could market things better.

ÿ

Not entirely sure what your point is.

Which part of andy's post are you refering to...?

A

Anonymous

timwileman:in point 10 dont you mean a dramatic decrease in disc access times not increase?Nah, increase, there's always something you forget to do before settling down to a film; get a drink, *** to the loo etc.

this will give you the chance to remember and do it.

A

Anonymous

I agree with most what you said, though as I do not use an MP3 player much (except to listen to the cricket), point 9 is a nice "aspiration goal" (as the pollies say).

On point 4, as a hi-fi "nerd", I know what the logo's firms plaster on their TVs mean, but I also see how confused my friends and relations get when trying to make sense of it all in the shops (which is why they ask me to play "interpreter").

For Point 5, that is why a went for the Arcam AVR300 last year when I upgraded. I could actually hear a difference when doing music-playback comparisons at my hi-fi shop in Newcastle (Australia) and decided the extra cash was worth the improved sound.

I would also ask for manufacturers to put full specs in their product manuals and to have their manuals available for download on their website (are you listening, KEF?), which Arcam have tended to do a good job of. I had to chase up the local KEF distributor to get a PDF manual for a second-hand KEF KIT 100 I picked up for my girlfriend.

PJ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts