My system update..

iceman16

BenLaw said:
Those Focals look seriously nice iceman :) What's led to the change?
Hi Ben, My local dealer offered me the Focal 1028be at a huge discount so I demo them at home and they sound really nice. But compare to the scm 40s, I still prefer the lush and smooth midrange of the scm40s.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
iceman16 said:
BenLaw said:
Hi Ben, My local dealer offered me the Focal 1028be at a huge discount so I demo them at home and they sound really nice. But compare to the scm 40s, I still prefer the lush and smooth midrange of the scm40s.

I am probably being thick BUT-- You have purchased the Focals even though they sound 'nice' and you prefer the scm40s??? To me saying something is nice is damning with VERY faint praise.

:?

iceman16

With a sensitivity of 91db they are much easier to drive and sounded more lively than the 40s in my system of course. Individual instrument played are much easy to follow and they are extremely detailed and open without being harsh and bright. Overall they suit better in my system but considering the price difference compare to the scm40s.

iceman16

relocated said:
iceman16 said:
BenLaw said:

I am probably being thick BUT-- You have purchased the Focals even though they sound 'nice' and you prefer the scm40s??? To me saying something is nice is damning with VERY faint praise.

:?
You probably missed my point here. As I said, I prefer the scm40s mid but that does not mean I prefer the scm40s in general compare to the Focals in my own system and opinion.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Right. I think it must have been the referal to the Focals as 'really nice' as against the much more emotive 'lush and smooth' etc. of the scm 40s that threw me.

Hell so long as you're really happy, pocket wise as well as absolutely, that's all that is important.

:wave:

Messiah

Looks nice!

What I always find a little funny though is watching a YouTube video of someone's hifi as you are generally limited on the quality of the playback system (usually a laptop/PC) and therefore cannot really appreciate the quality of the system shown.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Iceman,you seem really proud of your system....and rightly so. It looks beautiful. Proper Hi-Fi Set-up. I used to like with with the ATC 40`s , but with the new ones looks even better, and even from the video I am able to feel the quality that you are experiencing every day. Great job. Enjoy it ...By the way, what is the record`s name...Sounds beautiful.Txs

iceman16

Atanas Rangelov said:
Iceman,you seem really proud of your system....and rightly so. It looks beautiful. Proper Hi-Fi Set-up. I used to like with with the ATC 40`s , but with the new ones looks even better, and even from the video I am able to feel the quality that you are experiencing every day. Great job. Enjoy it ...By the way, what is the record`s name...Sounds beautiful.Txs

Thanks mate..

Yes the Focal's 1028be are really stunning and I'm enjoying my cd's and vinyl a lot better. The missus likes them aswell:rockout:

John Duncan

Messiah said:
Looks nice!

What I always find a little funny though is watching a YouTube video of someone's hifi as you are generally limited on the quality of the playback system (usually a laptop/PC) and therefore cannot really appreciate the quality of the system shown.

Oh I dunno. I mean it's only a facsimile of course but it's pretty clear that it sounds bloody marvellous :)

Maybe we should all do it. We'd have to agree on a track though; probably Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over...;-)

iceman16

John Duncan said:
Aye, stuck it on and it sounds fantastic. Videoed it on the iPad to do the same as you but it sounded **** :-D

I was using Panasonic hdc-sd600 videocam which is fine but can't capture the lowest frequency. Tried my ipad2 and it sounded a lot worse. A lot of people were saying there's no point of videoing our hifi while playing,but imo the listener may be able to get a hint or idea to the sound even only at 1%. Well IF there's really no point why is there a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" like and dislike on YT?

iceman16

When I was selling my b&w 703s on ebay last year, there's not much interest on buyers and even watchers. But when I posted a link of my video from YT on my listing,I have sold them in less than 24 hrs!:)

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Iceman, just randomly stumbled across the video with the tt through your Focals. Great system! How has the swap from Naim to the MF AMS35i changed the sound of your system.

TRENDING THREADS