My stereo!

• Thread starter the record spot
  • Start date
T

the record spot

My humble little set-up....note massively expensive turntable support set-up. Thanks Tesco!
DSC00059-1.jpg

A

Anonymous

doesent that linn cost more than the rest put togheter

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"]doesent that linn cost more than the rest put togheter[/quote]

No....Mimick is from the budget range but doesn't sound like one though, nice and smooth.

A

Anonymous

Nice setup. At first I thought jesus that samsung is huge, then I noticed half of it is Denon!

That is some hefty looking cable to the right!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="sex"]doesent that linn cost more than the rest put togheter[/quote]

No....Mimick is from the budget range but doesn't sound like one though, nice and smooth.
[/quote] budget wat? £1000 ?

T

the record spot

To answer both Ray and Sex here, the costliest item on show here, if it comes to handing the cash over, was the amp. The Rega is probably next at 2001 prices - the cart was sold separately.

The Linn was a used buy last year and set me back all of £295. It's a 1994 model and unfortunately, I can't upgrade the software (Linn supports later models to this effect, so you can keep a player up to date with ongoing software mods), however, the sound more than makes up for it. Very analogue; not too warm, but rich and full. In its day, the Mimik was around £750 - £800. There are plenty out there in the used market and there's one going on Ebay for around £60 bidding currently.

To answer the rack query - I don't know! It was a clearance purchase from Richer Sounds in Edinburgh - £75! Not sure what the original RRP was, or even who the manufacturer is. Wooden shelves, aluminium 'legs' and the other 'support' under the record deck is a granite chopping board from Tesco. £10 and one of the biggest recommendations I can give to anyone looking for a rigid support platform that doesn't cost the earth! I think that there is an element of very hefty mark-up for some products in hifi, accessories and supports being two good examples. I am VERY wary of anyone flogging some glass/wood and/or steel (etc) for £000's and making some hefty attempt to justify with bad science in tow.

The chunky looking cable to the bottom right is Audioquest Type IV speaker cable; it's in 2x5 runs and it's bi-wired. Nice sound, warm to neutral. No longer in production (it's around 10 years old).

Lastly, the Denon and the Samsung are the least used; the latter is the DVD-950H universal player bought from Richer Sounds just over a year ago. £80 clearance special and it's for SACD duties which it does very well. The Denon is currently on the sub's bench - never use it, mislaid the power cable during our move to London; fully expect it to turn up during our move back home to Edinburgh in the next couple of weeks!!

Lastly, thanks for the interest and kind comments and apologies for the very late replies - it's a nice system; with a good big sound to it. I'm quietly confident that even fr0g might like the turntable sound were he to hear it!

TRENDING THREADS