My simple system..

iceman16

6536800281_ab8fb4e649_b.jpg

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks iceman :) Whilst I have played around with positioning a bit on mine I haven't yet tried spiked v unspiked, good to hear you got an improvement. Are they then into spike shoes on granite?

iceman16

BenLaw said:
Thanks iceman :) Whilst I have played around with positioning a bit on mine I haven't yet tried spiked v unspiked, good to hear you got an improvement. Are they then into spike shoes on granite?
Yes Ben. speakers>spikes>spike shoes>granite.The spike shoes prevent the speakers from slipping aswell.I just bought these granite from a local stone merchant( 40 mm thick!)for £75 a pair.Thanks.

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:

The Naims look the biz but still not convinced by the ATC's aesthetics though. No doubt sound is mind blowing.

Love the Mitchell WOW! Have often do you dust it? love to own a Gyro but the thought of no dust cover... no, no, no...

Enjoy!

Thanks PP..about speakers I'm after sound quality(95%)and aesthetics(5%).I never thought that the nap200 can drive them very well.The highs and mid are sweet and delicate and the bass is taut and very responsive even at low volume.There is no hardening on the overall sound even at high volume compare to my previous 703s.The scm40s are by far the most neutral speakers I've heard at this price point :) .With regards to the Michell gyro se,I just cover it with a silk-like cloth when not in use than using the non sense unicover.Cheers! :rockout:

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The old-school design of the ATC started growing on me lately and although the lighter wood version still look to me a little bit repulsive, the black one is much more stylish and acceptable IMO... With regards to the sound- I heard them recently at the Hi-Fi Expo in Sofia - Bulgaria , driven by Leema Tucana II and Antila II and the result was а brilliantly natural sounding set-up. I was amazed ...

iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:

The Naims look the biz but still not convinced by the ATC's aesthetics though. No doubt sound is mind blowing.

Love the Mitchell WOW! Have often do you dust it? love to own a Gyro but the thought of no dust cover... no, no, no...

Enjoy!

Thanks PP..about speakers I'm after sound quality(95%)and aesthetics(5%).I never thought that the nap200 can drive them very well.The highs and mid are sweet and delicate and the bass is taut and very responsive even at low volume.There is no hardening on the overall sound even at high volume compare to my previous 703s.The scm40s are by far the most neutral speakers I've heard at this price point :) .With regards to the Michell gyro se,I just cover it with a silk-like cloth when not in use than using the non sense unicover.Cheers! :rockout:

Totally understand why you and thousands of others love the ATCs... how far from the wall are the speakers? pictures can be deceiving, but they look pretty close.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
... how far from the wall are the speakers? pictures can be deceiving, but they look pretty close.

Sealed cabinets.

So long as the fronts are flush with the equipment rack (or in front of it) then distance from the wall shouldn't be an issue.

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:

Enjoy!

Totally understand why you and thousands of others love the ATCs... how far from the wall are the speakers? pictures can be deceiving, but they look pretty close.

They are about 1 ft. on the side and 2 ft at the back which I was not able to do with the 703s(boomy bass).Chebby is quite right,sealed cabinets can be place close to walls which does'nt affect the sound too much:)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Iceman - how big is your room. Did you find it a struggle to set them up at all and get the balance right? I've finally accepted that my best efforts to tame the bass response of my Neats in my fairly small room (3.7m sq) are not going to succeed, so i'm looking for something else. whilst i don't want excess bass, i also don't want a lack of bass, so i'm wondering if something sealed like the ATCs might be a good option.

Do you find that they need to be played lound to get the best out of them?

iceman16

Dan Turner said:
Iceman - how big is your room. Did you find it a struggle to set them up at all and get the balance right? I've finally accepted that my best efforts to tame the bass response of my Neats in my fairly small room (3.7m sq) are not going to succeed, so i'm looking for something else. whilst i don't want excess bass, i also don't want a lack of bass, so i'm wondering if something sealed like the ATCs might be a good option.

Do you find that they need to be played lound to get the best out of them?

Dan-My room is about 15x15ft approx. but its L shaped.I've never had any issue with speaker placement with the scm40s compare to my previous b&w 703s.There was no boomy bass just tight and very responsive even at low listening level.They are about 2ft from the back and 1 ft on the side walls. With the size of your room I may suggest the scm11 or scm19.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts