my onkyo 905 will only show a picture when connected with a hdmi source please help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a onkyo 905 when ever i try to connect a source that is'nt connected by hdmi i get a blue screen i've tried my sony dvd recorder by component & my wii by composite, it works fine with hdmi connections. I've gone into the onkyo set up selected component & not hdmi for that input for the dvd player or make sure that input is not assigned to hdmi or component when connecting my wii i get the sound but a blue screen on my sony 40w2000 lcd if i connect my dvd or wii to the tv direct i get a picture i so it must be the amp blocking the picture. hope someone can help me out, thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Darren,

I don't have this particular amp, however looking at the manual you need to specify the output of any video sources input via composite/component etc.

In the set-up menu there is an option for setting the output (HDMI is always output by HDMI, thats why it is only analogue sources that are effected).

It is similar to assigning your digital inputs, you just to need to specify that certain component/composite inputs are output by HDMI and not the reletive outputs.

It should be straight forward enough, if you have trouble post on there and I'll browse the manual for step-by-step instructions.

Let me know how you get on. John.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My Xbox 360 is hooked into my 905 via Component. I use the Game/TV input for it and to do this, I press Setup, go to 1. Input / Output Assign, then 3. Component Video Input and then select the GAME/TV entry and change this to IN1 (since the Xbox plugs into the first Component input on the back of the 905).

Are you sure you have the correct input number? i.e. have a look on the back of the 905 where the Component is plugged in and make sure the input matches i.e. if it's in IN1, select IN1 on the menu above, if in IN2, select IN2 etc.

Don't have any Composite sources but I'd guess it's much the same as the Component selection. I get a blue screen if the Xbox isn't switched on so it sounds like it's not getting a signal.

A

Anonymous

In retrospect I'd listen to professor hat as he does have one! lol.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No, no, sensible suggestion. Having a quick look, I can't seem to find the obvious setting for how analogue is output - don't remember having to set that but it was a long time ago I set it all up!

Have to go out now so let us know how you get on and if still an issue I'll look further into it tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

I've had another browse of the manual, and I think I might be wrong with specifying an output for analogue sources.

In the manual, under troubleshooting no picture it states:

'If your TV is connected to the HDMI output, set the HDMI Monitor setting to Main or Sub (page 52), and select "---" in the HDMI input setup on page 54 to watch composite video, S-video and component video sources.'

There is a button on the front labelled 'HDMI OUT' , press this repeatedly untill it is on the one you want. The order is No > Main > Sub.

This will be whichever connection goes to your TV - I'm guessing it will be Main.

For the second bit, Go to the setup menu by pressing set up on the remote. Scroll to input/output assign and press enter. The scroll to HDMI input and press enter. Make sure whichever of your sources which aren't HDMI are selected as "---" and not "in1,2...etc"

This should work.

Hope this helps (and works)

A

Anonymous

thanks for all your replies gotta go to work soon so will check in the morning to make sure i set it all up right but the proccess i had taken sounds about the same as what you had taken, had it plugged in the end component input (in3) had this input assigned to game/tv made sure that game/tv was'nt assigned to an hdmi input as not to conflict. made sure my dvd recorder was set to output component & a lead hdmi was not connected as this over ride component had the sound connected by coaxial which comes through fine. on the set up side i've only noticed that you can assign with hdmi or component i think you leave the input blank on the component & hdmi menu if you wish to use composite. my amp was a refurb always seem to think the worse with this amp as 875/905 amps seem not to have the greatest reputation for being reliability as there always seemed to be plenty of refurbs about when i got this amp around 6 months ago. thanks again for all your replies

A

Anonymous

Thought i would try to set my onkyo amp again this morning with my wii, but conectting it to the composite inputs on the front of the amp. 1st i put my wii through my dvd recorder to make sure it was sending a picture this worked fine. Then plugged it into the front input of my amp went through my setting again left input/output assign as (---) on the hdmi & component input selection, then selected aux2 on my remote. I got sound from my amp but still blue screen on my tv.

I think my amp as been like this from when i first got it as when i just thought i'd see what my dvd player would look like with component leads i got a blue screen, but as my dvd player had a hdmi output & it worked fine & i was'nt really sure about how to work my amp at that time i never really followed it up.

A

Anonymous

I just reset my amp to the factory settings by holding down the dvd/vcr button then pressing stand by, it went off & everything cleared.

I then assign hdmi out to main so i get my picture back, then selected aux2 got my sound from my wii still but still my blue screen. As nothing else would be assigned by the reset there should'nt of been anything to over ride this in the hdmi or component menu.

As any one else had any problems like this with there onkyo amp, or do you think ths is just another not so well made onkyo product, because i was'nt sure if i should or should'nt go for it when i got it 6 months ago. As there seemed to be no end of people with problems with them. But as it was only £620 with a years warranty i thought this refurb would of had it's problems sorted out.

A

Anonymous

hope someone can help me out a bit again please, as anyone else had any trouble like this with an onkyo amp. do you think i'm doing anything i'm doing wrong when setting it up. or does it sound like i've just got a dud amp, because i wanna be sure before i get on to the retailer. anymore response would greatly welcomed. thanks

A

Anonymous

That does seem strange, have you tried calling Onkyo to see what their take on it is?

A

Anonymous

i got my amp from exptional-av it was a really good deal on a refurb when they were doing 10% off with what hifi, but it was a lot like how someones post of that retailer went. i ordered it all went through they debited the money then cancelled & refunded the money as they told me they had none instock. so i order again when they were surpose to be instock again got told god knows how many times it was going to turn up by a set date but never turned up. must of taken getting on for a month to turn up in the end, so just hope dealing with them will be a lot better this time, looks like deep breath time

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Are you using Composite or Component?

I have my Wii plugged into the DVD component and audio sockets on the back and then in Menu 1-3 ("Component Video Input") I have assigned DVD to IN1.

Have you tried using any of the other Composite sockets on the amp?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I haven't done anything with compostite inputs I'm afraid - what about the component input, is that any better?

Can't this weekend as just about to go away, but if still an issue I will try and hook up a composite source when I get back and see how it works.

A

Anonymous

i've tried composite & component & tried s-video from my wii & dvd player always get same out come once everything as been assigned i get sound but a blue screen only will output a picture when if feed by a hdmi source

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like your amp is faulty, just connected a digital camera to the AUX2 input as its just composite afraid it worked just fine.

Have you tried a factory reset of the amp? it may cure your problems.

To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR]button, press the [STANDBY/ON] button. "Clear" will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.

A

Anonymous

yeah tried a factory reset this morning same out come, i think my amp as been like it from the start just never needed to use anything other than hdmi to connect to it before, cos when i played with it when i 1st got it i got same resaults but was'nt to sure what i was doing at the time. do you think the upscaler does anything in the amp, nice to know someone with the same amp and tv to see what they think. to me i could'nt tell much of a differance with the using the amp to upscale compared to my sony rdr-hxd970 dvd recorder doing it. was you expected a bit more from this amp upscaler to.

A

Anonymous

Hi Darren, have you had any joy with the retailer yet?

I've just bought an 876 and although I may never use the connections you're having issues with I will certainly test them out to make sure everything works when it arrives.

A

Anonymous

i could live with my amp without using these connections at this time, but i'd feel happier if they worked cos i may wanna use them at a later date. i sent an email to exceptional av the retailer & genserve the onkyo service people in the uk & had refurbished the amp. hope to hear from them tomorrow or i will chase them up.

i hope you enjoy your amp, i'd only used 2 channel amps before i got this one but would'nt wanna be without the flexibility of my multichannel av amp now

A

Anonymous

Thanks Darren, the thread stood out at me cos a couple of days ago I was offered a 905 second hand with a 12 month warranty for £499 by a dealer. It had been staff owned for 18 months or so but I turned it down due to the fact that the 876 wasn't that much more new and it had the 3 year warranty.

I'd push it with them though mate if I was you as you want to make sure it's all working before the warranty runs out even if it's just so you can sell it with confidence in the future without any issues.

You never know if they can't repair it for any reason they may have to give you a new product so it plays to kick off sometimes (in a measured and informed way of course), I must admit I'm not one to settle for any BS that firms give out if I'm not happy and have had some pretty good results by not accepting the usual fob-offs firms dish out (sometimes benefitting to the tune of over four figure sums on occasion).

Good luck mate, hope it works out well and make sure you post the results back on the thread I know I for one would be interested
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

thanks mate for your comments, i made sure in my emails to them that i had asked around on this website if anyone else had any issues like this with a onkyo amp. if they have much sense the people who come on here must spend millions in total in electrical retailers so i'd be only to happy highlight good service by them or point out to people to be careful when using a retailer as i come very close cancelling my order for this amp with this retailer cos the service was'nt great i think it was only the price i got it for that stopped me. it be there loss in the long run to give bad service.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just to confirm, I hooked up my PVR via composite to my Aux2 input on the front and got a picture without having to change anything (once I'd taken it off Pure Audio mode). I get a blue screen once the composite cable is removed from the front of the amp so it looks like it's just not recognising it's getting a signal from yours.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts