My old Wharfedales 10.1 Beats my Monitor Audio RX1

damodollard

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes my Wharfedales diamonds 10.1 have regained their position on their stands over my year old MA RX1. Perhaps the RX1 didnt suit my setup up

Marantz pm7004

Marantz cd6003

TT stanton t62

or room acoustics or my ears, but there it is thats my findings. Think i finally tired of the metal tweeters.

Lets give back the Wharfedales 10.1 back their 5 star review.

A

Anonymous

I prefer my Dalis over my old rx1's, i found the rx1's a little bright with to much bass.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
when I was auditioning my first hi-fi it was a match between MA RX1 and Diamonds 10.1. Diamonds won. they are much smoother sounding. RX1 were too aggressive for me.

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I agree the 10.1's have a better combination of fun and detail than a lot of speakers i have listened to!

I don't think a product should lose stars if it is this good and was that good in the first place...

matthewpiano

The Diamonds are excellent speakers and still compete with most things in the budget market. Interesting to note the imminent release of the new Diamond 100 series. Back to square boxes by the look of it and some interesting drive units, with technology trickling down from the Jade series.

Those limited edition Dentons look lovely too.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I don't know how they sound but I just saw a picture of the new Diamond 121 bookshelf speaker.......they look fantastic :)

My opinion of Wharfedale Diamonds is they are fantastic budget speakers, and will perform way beyond their price tag.

Two points about MAs: Yes I agree they can sound bright up against the Wharfedales, however, it's easy mistake brightness for detail. My RS6 are highly detailed but in the right system they sound wonderful.

The second point is that MAs, from personal experience, really do benefit from high quality electronics. In some ways they're hi-fi equivalent to a 'control freak'.

matthewpiano

I think Wharfedale and Monitor Audio largely appeal to different people. The RX series is very good indeed but the standmount models do suffer a little from bloated bass. That whole thing of trying to produce a big and impressive bass from a small-ish box so often ends up that way - B&W fall into the same trap with the 686 and the CM1, although they somehow seem to get the balance right with the 685s. I would much rather have the more natural sound of the Diamonds than something like the RX1 or B&W CM1 which try too hard to overcome the laws of physics. Actually, in some ways, I think the BX2s are a more natural listen than the RX standmounters. With any speaker, though, it all comes down to interaction with the amplifier (can the amplifier drive the speakers efficiently) and interaction with the room and this is why people can have such varied experiences with the same model of speaker.

Matthew - a lot of what you say is correct. Indeed the Wharfedales and MAs largely have different appeal. I've not heard the RX standmount range but read quite a bit on here and in mags and they certainly give the impression of being big and bold.

After hearing GX 100s, RX6 and, of course, the RS range the overriding conclusion is that the silver and gold ranges, in particular, flourish with better amplification. As you know I dislike going into technicalities: If it sounds good than that suffices, and the spec sheet is rapidly dispensed to the recycling bin.

One thing that gives me the grumps (not from you BTW) is when people over-extend their appraisal and pidgen-hole a product because of reputation. We all know there's not a single brand that appeals to all. That's understandable. However, as you're well aware, system matching is such a personal thing, and I'm not just talking about personal preferance, but reams of other influences that determines the 'end sound'.

For 4 years (cripes, have I been on this site for that time?) I've maintained that Arcam and MA are a cracking synergy match. That won't change. Additionally, after hearing most sub-£1000 integrateds with these speakers, who'd guess *certainly not me* that Leema and MA would be a fantastic match?

It's very true that room acoustics needs to take credit in this particular department. And on paper my kit just seems wrong in every respect. But it works beautifully. The only rational explantion alluded to this is the Leema has a such a grip on the MAs much maligned metal dome tweeter, resulting in a far more composed, balanced presentation - generally sweeter.

Phew! I'm going to lay down after writing all this drivel. :twisted:

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I never understood the praise for the Diamond 10.1. Good speakers but not in the same league as the Dali Zensor 1 or Monitor Audio BX2.

Hopefully the upcoming Diamond 121 is much better.

Never heard the RX 1 but I had the previous model (RS1) and they were awful sounding speakers.

matthewpiano

When I bought the Dali Zensor 1s I auditioned them side by side with the Diamond 10.1s and I didn't think there was much between them to be honest. I would happily have bought either. In the end it came down to what the dealer had in stock in the right finish.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Agree with PP on the MA's except my rs'6 sound so much better paired with nad c370 compared to my old alpha 9. Hated arcam cd73+rs6, harsh it sure was. Now running nad c370, rotel 965bx and rs6 and it sounds absolutely awesome, well controlled deep bass and sweet treble. Having ownd br1, br5 and rs6 they do sound harsh if partnered wrong but mine sound far from it.

damodollard

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
thanks everyone for you input and recommendations. I know the diamonds can be improved upon, but would urge anyone to benchmark them against the newer or more expensive speakers out there.

For me will be avoiding metal tweeters speakers like the plague.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Last time I shopped for speakers in this range I went for Wharfedale 9.1 and Dali Lektor 1, each good in their way. The equivalent MA (BR2) just sounded shocking.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
I never understood the praise for the Diamond 10.1. Good speakers but not in the same league as the Dali Zensor 1 or Monitor Audio BX2.

Hopefully the upcoming Diamond 121 is much better.

Never heard the RX 1 but I had the previous model (RS1) and they were awful sounding speakers.

Have to agree...I had some RS1's and they were "nasty" in the top end region...Really showed up poor recordings which, let's face it are the norm for mainstream pop and rock :(

BUT...and it's a big BUT..I have recently found that the positioning of the speaker is absolutely crucial. Recently added some Mission 752 (metal domed tweeter) which have been renowned for being bright. They were when I first set them up, too far out from wall and toed in. Set up properly, close to rear wall and firing straight, the brightness disappeared leaving exceptional non fatiguing detail.

Just a shame I didn't give the RS1's a fair chance by experimenting with positioning :(

A

Anonymous

Had the wharfedale 10.1s six months before I borrowed home a couple of MA BX2.

I returned the BX2:s the day after. The wharfedales where a much more enjoyable listening. Wider soundstage, better midrange, more body, a bit less detail but didnt like the sharp tweeter of the MA:s.

To me, Monitor Audio BX2 where clearly beaten.

MA:s are much brighter and need warm electronics like Marantz. (I have demoed myself)

Today I own B&W 685 that I think is a bit more fun to listen to than the wharfies. They should be... for twice the money.

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
And that seems to be the common problem - The better we go the more we seem to have to put up with spikes in the sound we get for our investment.

I have run the 10.1's in a decent (expensive) stereo kit, an all in one Onkyo and they now live at the back of my 5.1 spare room system and I still enjoy the clarity and the warmth of the effects popping out the back.

That's a lot of praise for a little, fairly cheap speaker that still deserves 5 stars...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts