My next upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The BK is still a relatively large box for my small living room and might look a little imposing. As much as I favour performance over aesthetics, there's remains an element of compromise in this regard from my end.

How about a down firing sub to double up as sidetable duties? Part of the furniture so to speak. :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The Yamaha doesn't offer much in the way of subwoofer EQ options. At the moment I'm torn between giving the Teac CDP a try on the basis that it could be returned, and selling my sub and buying a BK monolith. The BK is still a relatively large box for my small living room and might look a little imposing. As much as I favour performance over aesthetics, there's remains an element of compromise in this regard from my end.

The Monolith is a very big ported sub, which won't be as "tight" as a sealed one, and may over-power a small room. The next one down (XLS 400) might be better - but why not ring them, tell them what you are trying to achieve and in what size and shape of room...and ask their advice. They are very helpful.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
If by 40 years you're referring to your overall age, I'm not far behind you. If you mean 40 years as an enthusiast, I've got some catching up to do! :twisted:

Unfortunately it's the latter!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I'm not sure why I referenced the Monolith in my previous post. The name of course denotes that it's a big one... The 200 might do it; and isn't prohibitively expensive, either.

I'm now contemplating pushing the boat out by selling my Radiance sub, buying a BK 200, while also looking at the Teac. Once any of us start considering upgrades we're torn between a desire for discernable improvement and a need for financial restraint.

As you suggest, a phone call to BK (and a Teac retailer) have been added to my Monday "to do" list.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
strapped for cash said:
If by 40 years you're referring to your overall age, I'm not far behind you. If you mean 40 years as an enthusiast, I've got some catching up to do! :twisted:

Unfortunately it's the latter!

I'm listening to Dylan's "It's not Dark Yet" in response to this post. :shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
As you suggest, a phone call to BK (and a Teac retailer) have been added to my Monday "to do" list.

Try to find a Teak dealer who also sells Rega, as he will give better insight! :shifty:

Whatever else happens, the Teak with the BK should bring about a significant improvement.

Let us know how it goes.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like very good advice, thanks Cno.

I'll put thoughts of upgrading to bed for now, as I've got non forum-related writing to focus on. I'll let you know how I get on in light of future enquiries...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts