My move to Apple TV.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

jaxwired:Hedgehog:

This sounds like a great setup, but, looking at it from my perspective, as someone who is planning to get an Airport Express to stream from iTunes and Spotify via Airfoil, what is the advantage of the ATV over the AE? Worth noting, though, that it is only a few quid more and has a lot of other features if you were to use it for TV, too...

NB Well, I guess if you had a NAS, you could stream from there, right?

Hedgehog

Airport express is a great solution and one I considered, as long as the iTouch remote control is used. But, since I would have had to buy an iTouch, I felt that ATV was the better fit for me. Plus, I really like having the navigation and artwork on a big 19" tv. For me, it's better than an iPod touch interface. But I do agree that is a good approach and I understand why someone might prefer it.

But as you say, the ATV is dirt cheap and if you want any of the video features, it's well worth it.

Thanks, jaxwired,

If you don't have an iPod Touch already and favour the screen for navigation, it is a no-brainer. And it looks great, too!

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

Fantastic video jaxwired, im considering an apple tv so this was really helpfull. Just a quick question: In your video your streaming from a computer in a seperate room, i was wondering whether the apple tv can stream media from a nas, specifically an apple time capsule?

Thanks again for a cracking video, and as you say, it would be brilliant to see videos of all the forums contributors systems.

p.s. I particularly enjoyed the magical disappearing speaker grills in the first video!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

emotion-59.gif
Nice setup Jax . Bryston components look inviting that I just may look into them along with toys from Moon , Music fidelity and Accustic Arts . Speakers must just sound sweet ! As for your new purchace it wouldn't be for me . Technology is really getting filtered down to the point of being overwhelmed . So I'II just stick to viewing , enjoying my cd collection and its operating devices with a chance of , who knows ? , adding a record spinner . Speaking of TT , True Blue , if your viewing this post , my apologies for the cranium insult . Cheers .

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Benno_mk1: i was wondering whether the apple tv can stream media from a nas, specifically an apple time capsule?

I think you need iTunes running to stream so a nas wouldn't work by itself, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will chime it...

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
chebby:
jaxwired:True, but I don't own a laptop music server. So I would have had to buy one.

Eh?

iTunes on the laptop is your 'music server'. It's free.

I think he is saying that he doesn't have a laptop - at all, so far from free. Apple TV is cheaper than a laptop and meets all the requirements.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DavieCee:I think he is saying that he doesn't have a laptop - at all, so far from free. Apple TV is cheaper than a laptop and meets all the requirements.

Oh ok. I thought I saw the laptop at around 6 mins 30 secs in the 1st Youtube video. Must have been something else. Perhaps Jaxwired can confirm this.

The iTunes must be being hosted somewhere. The new Apple TV (unlike the old version) has no built in hard-drive so (unless I am getting this totally wrong) something - other than the ATV - is acting as a music server.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby:Oh ok. I thought I saw the laptop at around 6 mins 30 secs in the 1st Youtube video. Must have been something else. Perhaps Jaxwired can confirm this.

Chebby, I purchased a new 650gb harddrive for my tower desktop to hold all my music in lossless format. That desktop computer is in another room entirely and is running iTunes and is streaming my music via wifi to the stereo in this room. Yes, you did see a laptop so I understand why you were confused. That is actually an old netbook and the harddrive is too small to hold my music, plus it has no CD drive for loading music which would make it a bit of a hassel even if the drive were big enough....I just use it to surf the internet, really all its good for...

TRENDING THREADS