My Minidisc Walkman is a DAC

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
While I save up for a DAC I‘ve connected the optical out of my BDP player to my old MZR35 Minidisc, pressed Record, taken the line out to my amp and Voila! ......music. Sounds good too. Well pleased with myself

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well done. You would be amazed how good full sized Sony and Tascam minidisc units sound as DACs. They have onboard linear power supply and well engineered analogue section after the AD/DA chip, unlike today's audiophile DACs that are amateur kit build quality, use generic phone chargers as power supply and sell for shameless prices.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
They have onboard linear power supply and well engineered analogue section after the AD/DA chip, unlike today's audiophile DACs that are amateur kit build quality, use generic phone chargers as power supply and sell for shameless prices.

Your should try using a 1950s radiogram as a DAC: they really knew how to build them in those days.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Vladimir said:
They have onboard linear power supply and well engineered analogue section after the AD/DA chip, unlike today's audiophile DACs that are amateur kit build quality, use generic phone chargers as power supply and sell for shameless prices.

Your should try using a 1950s radiogram as a DAC: they really knew how to build them in those days.

Are you implying I'm a flatearth?

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
aob9 said:
While I save up for a DAC I‘ve connected the optical out of my BDP player to my old MZR35 Minidisc, pressed Record, taken the line out to my amp and Voila! ......music. Sounds good too. Well pleased with myself

I connect a netbook via USB/ SPDIF converter board, Coax input to the MD, press record and use it as a headphone amp. Lovely sound and goes loud too. And it only cost me £99.00 from Practical HiFi in Manchester in 1999. One of the most useful pieces of kit I own.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
My Pioneer minidisc player has a setting that allows it to be used as just a DAC. That's how I used to use it in my old Pioneer Hi-Fi stack. I did use it as a minidisc player when I wanted to copy some old guitar riffs from tape to a digital format. Unfortunately the compression brought the tape noies up to high and made the sound from the tape aweful.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
My Pioneer minidisc player has a setting that allows it to be used as just a DAC. That's how I used to use it in my old Pioneer Hi-Fi stack. I did use it as a minidisc player when I wanted to copy some old guitar riffs from tape to a digital format. Unfortunately the compression brought the tape noies up to high and made the sound from the tape aweful.

Depends how you set the input gain. That inherent compression can be used to an advantage ya know.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Glacialpath said:

Depends how you set the input gain. That inherent compression can be used to an advantage ya know.

I know but in this case it killed the sound quality ;) The tapes are farely quiet so I guess that's part of the reason for the poor capture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts