My Hi fi vs my Headphones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

I currently have various set ups at home.....which include an av set up for blue ray and a very nice and clear sounding valve based system in my bedroom amd an active speaker system but recently I have started spending a lot of listening time using my Superlux HD668B professional Studio Standard headhphones. I think I paid £40 max for them....I do really enjoy my other set ups and I think they are very good, it's just that the Superlux's absolutly blow them all out of the water, they sound amazing, detail is incredible and the whole sound is cohesive. On various other web sites the superlux's have been described as 'giant killers'. I don't have enough experience to know if this is true. All I know is I wish I had a hifi set up that matched them.

Is this possible I wonder? It's a bit wierd that I own these £40 headphones that out perform all my other gear. I wonder how much I would have to spend on a traditional Hifi to better or match them.? or would that be a fruitless cause.

I recently heard the new Cyrus amp with the Spendor A6's and that sounded pretty sensational.........

anyway just thinking out loud really...................[:cool:]

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Good post. I too have a pair of headphones that blow my mind, AKG K702s. I agree with your assessment. Headphone quality can be purchase for about 1/20th the price of speaker quality. So anyone can save up and buy a pair of headphones that would rival the finest speakers in the world. Headphones also have the huge advantage of no room interaction. All the nasty stuff rooms do to sound is avoided entirely.

However, with all that said, headphone listening is definately not the same as speaker listening. There is something more earthy and real about a full blown stereo over a headphone rig. Headphones make everything image in the middle of your head for the most part. As great as my headphones are, I still listen almost entirely to my speakers. But then I do have a world class system (modesty has never been my strong suit
emotion-4.gif
).

But these amazing headphones do make a person wonder about the traditional importance placed on source and amplification. There's no question that a world class pair of headphones can make a budget CDP and amp sound like heaven...

idc

I am so used to head-fi that I find speakers missing in intensity and detail. I want to sit next to them to try and stop all the wasted sound that goes elsewhere in the room. I feel the music more with the headphones.

A

Anonymous

I think I am becoming a convert to the listening method.......don't get me wrong I love the whole speaker experience.

But now I promise myself one album a night on the cans...............very rewarding.....

Dave

A

Anonymous

I do use my cans every day either shure in ear when I want my pease from the kids or grado sr60s for quality, but I do prefer my hifi!

A

Anonymous

So I wonder.....would I have to spend £1000 for the Avi's and approx £1000 for the Cyrus to match my £40 Superlux's or not?

A

Anonymous

Hi Idc,

I love the KRK's, they were a really good purchase,,,,,,and do most music really good justice. I only bought the Superlux's on a whim as I am not really a headphone listener, It's just having kids I thought it would give me a bit of down time in the evening. The superlux's to my ears are better in nearly all departments to the KRK's. Which because of the mimimal cost of the headphones is frustrating and fantastic at the same time.........

I am not being down on my other system's because I love listening to music through good speakers.but I was surprised to find out how much I love the sound of these cans. I guess everything is subjective......others might hate the sound!

but I guess all hifi is subjective!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts