Musical fidelity x-10d

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Once upon a time i had a musical fidelity x-10d valve stage hooked up to my old x-ray cd player, it was a great addition to my system, music sounded more fluent, natural, analogue. I ended up selling it to a friend who paid a good price for it, i was thinking about adding one into my current system, lucky for me my mate still has it and has upgraded the valves, he is going to sell it back to me, i think musical fidelity should make a v-valve stage, i am sure it would sell, will it be possible to hook up the x-10d to a v-psu 2? i dont want to blow the valve stage..

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Will your "mate" let you do a home trial? ;)

These valve buffers are supposed to do impedance matching between source and pre amp.

They are of the most benefit with a CD player with a high output impedance, which is not the case with most DACs.

I'd say any benefit or otherwise is hard to predict.

These things are always on t'Bay and go for reasonable amounts, nowt to lose except time! So why not?

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh, to answer your Q, I found this:

Musical Fidelity X-10D 12VAC @ 500mA, 2.1 x 9.5mm DC conn.

Looks like the same rating as the V-DAC if the plug fits...

A

Anonymous

My friend "mate" is popping round next wed, i will plug it in and have dem, musical fidelity have said the money has been spent in the chip's inside the v-dac 2, i belive them as the dac chip's in the v-dac 2 are the same as the m1 dac, the v psu 2 is the same quality as what you would find in the m1 dac, hence the 'thinking man's high end' slogan for the v-series. I doubt the outputs on the v-dac2 are all that great, i suspect the x-10d will make a nice improvement, if not, no harm done..

A

Anonymous

Paradiziac, thank's for the info regarding the voltage of the x-10d, i will be able to plug it to the v-psu 2.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
jimm said:
Paradiziac, thank's for the info regarding the voltage of the x-10d, i will be able to plug it to the v-psu 2.

A tube buffer doesn't replace the output stage of your DAC.

It's not like you're removing the op-amps from the V-DAC and adding a tube output stage.

So really, you'll be altering the sound rather than improving it.

But none of this stuff really matters. Whack it in, and if you like what you hear, go for it!

A

Anonymous

That's what i want to do, alter the sound, the x-10d will add a nice bit of warmth and make thing's a bit more fluid, having used one before i know it will do the job nicely.

A

Anonymous

Ah, thanks for that, i dont want to blow my dac, ill plug the x-10d into the main's :O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts