Musical Fidelity Synthesis

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After a bit of help with some history of my amp, a Musical Fidelity Synthesis.

I picked it up second hand over a decade ago and being honest have always loved the sound it provides, however finding any information on the history of this model, reviews at it launch, etc has been difficult. So I'm hoping that all at What Hi-Fi can help out.

Here it is among the rest of my kit..

dsc02563kk3.jpg

.....and yes I do still have a tape deck.

Any help or info greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Your amp is mentioned here

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/about/index.html - you could try contacting them.

Quote from a sales ad.

Musical Fidelity Synthesis integrated amplifier. An early award winning design from MF. Warm, sweet sounding. Approx. 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Excellent MM/MC phono input.

Can't find anything else - It's a bit pre-internet.

A

Anonymous

Its definatly pre-internet, from the digging around I have done I belive they were made at some point between 1982 and 1985.

The sales ad is handy, as I have not seen that before (and I have to agree on the phono stage).

Looks like I may have to get in touch with MF to get any more info.

Ta

A

Anonymous

I Tried the Ster----ile archive (sorry mods) but it only goes back into the nineties. Your amp was, as you say current in the early to mid eighties. There are a couple of references to it running hot in enthusiast threads from the late 90's that I found. It looks like the factory were quite helpful to them.

A

Anonymous

The Synthesis was I think the 4th product MF made and was supposed to be an amalgam of their The Pre-amp and DR Thomas power amp. It sounded great and looked rather good as well. Was detailed and warm sounding but could be a bit underpowered and lacked real bottom end slam. Still a great sounding amp though and I bet it still stands up well today. I think it was released in 1983.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info guys.

I can confirm that it does have a nice detailed sound, a touch on the warm side, but certainly not too warm; and it most definatly still stands up today. I have listened to newer amps, but the amount I would have to spend to get something I prefer is outside my current budget. Besides the home cinema still has upgrades to come and the CD player would get changed first.

It does look good, even if it is too wide for modern racks, but I love the rock solid build of it and the very simple design it has.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts