Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
This site is, by far, the most civil and generally informative forum I visit.

Regarding speaker cables, I went through quite an "sound-off/shoot out" some time ago trying a lot of cables on loan from a company here. Cardas, Audience, Monster, Shunyata, Audioquest, DH Labs, Acoustic Zen, Alpha Core Goertz and MIT Matrix 23.

The MIT provided the most amazing low level listening detail but I ended up with Aplha Core Goetz MI2 Veracity, very reasonably priced, and with an overall balance I thought better than the MIT. I haven't looked back since I got them.

They have a factory direct site which is pretty interesting.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jambalaya said:
This site is, by far, the most civil and generally informative forum I visit.

Regarding speaker cables, I went through quite an "sound-off/shoot out" some time ago trying a lot of cables on loan from a company here. Cardas, Audience, Monster, Shunyata, Audioquest, DH Labs, Acoustic Zen, Alpha Core Goertz and MIT Matrix 23.

The MIT provided the most amazing low level listening detail but I ended up with Aplha Core Goetz MI2 Veracity, very reasonably priced, and with an overall balance I thought better than the MIT. I haven't looked back since I got them.

They have a factory direct site which is pretty interesting.

You've tried some interesting cables there....If it's not too much trouble, would you mind elaborating a little on each.

Which Cardas did you try and where in the pecking order did it come?

:cheers:

Cno

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
:cheers: Be happy to provide a little more detail...

Cardas Clear Sky and Acoustic Zen Satori, similarly priced cables and very similar in sound. Deep solid bass, neutral midrange but as I categorize them, uninteresting high end, loss of a little grit of percussion and cymbal. Nothing offensive, just some finer detail missing I felt. I could have probably lived with either of these had I not heard the MIT and Alpha Core Goertz.

I might put Audioquest a level below Cardas and Zen. Mid-level detail was not up to the others but still a fine cable.

DH Labs Silver, too thin on the highs, almost too bright to listen to on my system.

The MIT Matrix 28 were in my system for quite a while and of all the cables provided the most detail at lower listening levels and the timbre and acoustic instrumental pitch accuracy was amazing. After some time, I felt they were not overall as balanced after I heard some of the others. A bit lacking in the bass, inconsistent and they were pretty expensive. I ultimately ended up selling them to acquire other cables.

I had read amazing reviews on the Audience AU24 but they stayed in my system for two songs. Highs disappeared. Way too polite.

Shunyata Black Mamba speaker cables were the best but were also twice as expensive than the others, Almost $2000, I wasn't prepared to go there. But they were absolutely rock solid amazing speaker cables, solid throughout with detail on the high end that missed nothing but was very subtle in a way.

When I tried the Alpha Core Goertz MI2 Veracity it didn't take long for me to be sold. Very solid bass, detailed high end that retains some of the characteristics of the MIT and a neutral midrange. The bonus is they are VERY affordable in comparison to other options out there.

Winner: Alpha Core Goertz

Second would be Acoustic Zen Satori.

Third Cardas.

Fourth MIT. (Though I still have MIT interconnects, balanced, between DAC and amp)

I am set for a while with cables. Next up will be a Rega RP3 to replace an aging Denon. :cheers:

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mac

I just asked my local Accuphase dealer and he thinks Auditorium 23 or Van Damme cables would work well. He also mentioned two others - AET and Acrolink, though these are much less known and therefore probably harder to find.

Are you able to borrow the Auditorium 23s for a home trial?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Hi Mac I just asked my local Accuphase dealer and he thinks Auditorium 23 or Van Damme cables would work well. He also mentioned two others - AET and Acrolink, though these are much less known and therefore probably harder to find. Are you able to borrow the Auditorium 23s for a home trial?

Hi Singslinger,

thanks for taking the time to enquire for me. I've Emailed the dealer re a home dem for the 23's... to be fair they are quite reasonably priced and may even take the risk even if they don't allow.

I've read about Acrolink, but can't find any dealers... will look into AET.

Mac

P.s had an Email tonight from a dealer offering me some AU24 jumpers, now not sure what to do AU24 or 23's!

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Conclusion or almost....

Afther testing SC for nearly 7 month's I got a bit tired of swapping cables all the time so I narrowed it all down to 2 players

Kimber 12 ct & Transparant Super musicwave

Bothe are exeptional an as the Kimber 12 ct sounded more crispy, fresh an actually fun I noticed that I quicly needed to turn down the volume an long listening sessions got tyering....

But the price of the Kimber 12 ct is also really good compared to other cables I tested.

But what actually made me realise it was maybe not the besy choice for me is that I swaped quicker to the TSM SC than the other way around.

An let's be honest I would have always wondered if I bought the Kimber 12 ct if I should upgrade.

The TSM still have the puch but are warmer an even if they are almost equally detailed the way that detail come out is much nicer an easier to listen to an to spod actually. Maybe my brain just lock out al wat's a bit agressive sounding ;-)

So last month I finaly made my desission Transparant it is. I kept the ones my dealer gave me they are actually longer than I expected but so more expensive but my dealer made me a good price.

I also desided to buy the IC from the same serie for connecting my Phono stage.

Wich is actually expensive if you considet SC for 4.6M is 1900€ an the SC for 1M 650€

But oké so be it I would have done it annyway in the an so better do it now then buy somting else I regred an lose money because I want the matchin IC in the end.

My system is actually getting pretty good or maybe I just get used to it, in the meantime I have less time to listen to it as last year :-(

But when I can make tiime its.....:boohoo: :boohoo:

To the streamer septics here, I was like you!!! Don't get me wrong I still prefer the sound of my cdp but it's so close an streamer is so easy that I didn't use my cdp in the last year. I still buy cd's but rip theme imidiatly.

So decided to sell my cdp to a friend (he actually have to come pick it up)

So next upgrade will I think

- A Clear audio syncro

- A decent power block Kemp or PSA I guess (dont want to break the bank

- Some powercords SPX 800 on my AMS the others I'm not shure yet

- A decent streamer provably an Akurate DS, but for now the SBT is doing a fine job

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Conclusion or almost....

Afther testing SC for nearly 7 month's I got a bit tired of swapping cables all the time so I narrowed it all down to 2 players

Kimber 12 ct & Transparant Super musicwave

Bothe are exeptional an as the Kimber 12 ct sounded more crispy, fresh an actually fun I noticed that I quicly needed to turn down the volume an long listening sessions got tyering....

But the price of the Kimber 12 ct is also really good compared to other cables I tested.

But what actually made me realise it was maybe not the besy choice for me is that I swaped quicker to the TSM SC than the other way around.

An let's be honest I would have always wondered if I bought the Kimber 12 ct if I should upgrade.

The TSM still have the puch but are warmer an even if they are almost equally detailed the way that detail come out is much nicer an easier to listen to an to spod actually. Maybe my brain just lock out al wat's a bit agressive sounding ;-)

So last month I finaly made my desission Transparant it is. I kept the ones my dealer gave me they are actually longer than I expected but so more expensive but my dealer made me a good price.

I also desided to buy the IC from the same serie for connecting my Phono stage.

Wich is actually expensive if you considet SC for 4.6M is 1900€ an the SC for 1M 650€

But oké so be it I would have done it annyway in the an so better do it now then buy somting else I regred an lose money because I want the matchin IC in the end.

My system is actually getting pretty good or maybe I just get used to it, in the meantime I have less time to listen to it as last year :-(

But when I can make tiime its.....:boohoo: :boohoo:

To the streamer septics here, I was like you!!! Don't get me wrong I still prefer the sound of my cdp but it's so close an streamer is so easy that I didn't use my cdp in the last year. I still buy cd's but rip theme imidiatly.

So decided to sell my cdp to a friend (he actually have to come pick it up)

So next upgrade will I think

- A Clear audio syncro

- A decent power block Kemp or PSA I guess (dont want to break the bank

- Some powercords SPX 800 on my AMS the others I'm not shure yet

- A decent streamer provably an Akurate DS, but for now the SBT is doing a fine job

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hooray! Robys back!

Good to hear how you're getting on.

I've heard good things about Transparrent so think you made the right decision.

Bit disappointed that you've sold out to the streamer

brigade, but fully understand the attraction.

Are you still in touch with Alex?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hooray! Robys back!

Mac

Totally agree.....except the bit about the Streamer, of course. :shifty:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hooray! Robys back!

Mac

smiley-tongue-out.gif

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hooray! Robys back!

Mac

Ditto on the welcome back Robby, good to hear you're still out there & enjoying your system.

Ditto on the "except for the bit about the streamer as well!!!" :)

Now that Matt & the Doc have taken ownership of their new amps we need someone around here to stump up for some tasty new kit to keep things interesting.

I believe that Cno was contemplating a potential Akurate DS & 207/2 upgrade? Maybe we should work on him >)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hooray! Robys back!

Mac

Ditto on the welcome back Robby, good to hear you're still out there & enjoying your system.

Now that Matt & the Doc have taken ownership of their new amps we need someone around here to stump up for some tasty new kit to keep things interesting.

I believe that Cno was contemplating a potential Akurate DS & 207/2 upgrade? Maybe we should work on him >)

Here here!

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hooray! Robys back!

Mac

Akurate + AMS + 207/2: talking of a match made in heaven! If I owned one of these, I wouldn't rest before I had the other two too! :innocent:

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello Roby, A high-end streamer that is not too expensive is the new Marantz NA-11S1 which offers the added advantage of DSD playback. Well worth considering, IMHO.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Akurate + AMS + Kef = even better match!!!

Come over to the dark side my friend

Have you been in touch with Alex at all? How is he enjoying his system with the Akurate?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes shure but xwe have both not enough time to listen propzely to our systems.

Actually we went to our favorite restorant in brussels last week an we where bothe kind of complaning about that...

Also we miss the time we did all thz demo's together it was fun....

Akurate + AMS + Kef = even better match!!! -> that's because you haven't listen to my assendent with the old tweeter ;-)

But have to say that Alex actually said it might be not woth it spend the amount of money on a Akurate because we bothe more enjoy vinyl.

He actually told me he was happy with the Akurate but if he had to do it over he was not shore he would go for the Akurate becaise of the love for vinyl.....

An as I feel the same I might go for a slightly cheaper streamer an maybe put the money in a better phonostage or cardridge.....

That's actually the reason I put the streamer on the bothem of my upfrade list

So I have time to think.....

Any sugestions are welcome of course :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
That's the spirit boys!!!

Roby, Dave, Matt please feel free to lend a hand at any time

:cheers:

If you want to play me at my own game (and win), you need to be considerably more devious....I give seminas, you know! :roll:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts