Musical Fidelity A5.5 Integrated

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any one know anything about this amp?

Would you recommend it?

How would the onboard DAC compare to my DACmagic? (the MF's goes up to 48 kHz, the DacMagic 96khz)

Found one ex-demo and might get it for my new GB1i's. Sources are turntable and iMac, range of music.

Could the power be too much? I heard it briefly with some Spendor A5's and their drivers were bottoming out easily.

Any advice much apreciated, cheers!!

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I meant to reply to this post yesterday, but my computer crashed.

I've heard the original A5 CD player and amp, about 3 - 4 years ago and I remember thinking at the time how clean they sound. They also had an inviting sound that makes you just want to keep on listening. I think WHF said something similar about their £1800 X ray CD player.

I don't think the A5.5 has an onboard DAC, you may be mixing it up with A1008 amp, which does.

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

As a rule of thumb, you can never had too much power. You can do more damage to a speaker using an underpowered amplifier than one with loads of power. This is because the smaller amp, may be producing higher levels of distortion and eventually go into clipping, when playing at a given level.

A more powerful amp will help to get the most out of the speaker, as it should have complete control of the speaker and have low levels of distortion.

Having said that more power doesn't mean better quality sound, but it does help and you will hear the difference.

Personally, if you can get a bargain, and its within your budget I personally think Musical Fidelity do good products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the 5.5 imo, the price have come down so much that it make more sense than most.

oh and no, it is not too powerful, infact that was the MF's believe (at the time!) "You do NEED a massive watts to drive speakers properly" and I think there is SOME truth in that even if it's marketing ploy.

TRENDING THREADS