Upgrade from Musical Fidelity A3.5 - opinions please

stretchneck

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I would be interested in peoples opinion on the following as an upgrade to matching Musical Fidelity A3.5 amplifier and CD player, will be paired with Spendor D1's. I am really looking for used/ex-demo kit.

- Roksan Caspian - I demoed the M2 and found it to be an improvement on the A3.5. More of an airey/spacious sound and better detailing.

- Musical Fidelity A5 - more watts, but will the A5 CD player really sound that much better than the A3.5? I have never heard one...

- Musical Fidelity M6i (potentially M6 500i if the price is right) - any idea how this compares with the A5?

I have already discounted Roksan Kandy K2 (which to me sounds almost identical to the A3.5), NADs and Cyrus as to me they don't seem to be an improvement.

I would be interested to hear opinions based on demo's you might have had.

Ta

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Stretchneck I have an M6i which I love I don,t know the A3.5 or A5 so I do not know if they sound alike I have just got myself a M6 500i and it is awesome so much more scale the steroe image is holographic :grin: I havent run it in yet if you buy one take a friend as they are very heavy 37kg boxed :grin: I will post up a review when I have had time to assess it properly

stretchneck

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback - I am hoping to demo the M6 shortly and will post my thoughts on here. It would be interesting to see if the M6 did sound better than the M6500i.

Also going to look at a Rega Elicit-R

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have the same amp, can I ask why you are looking to upgrade. An ex demo supernait may be worth looking for, I heard one a few months ago and it sounded rather good.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
stretchneck said:
Thanks for the feedback - I am hoping to demo the M6 shortly and will post my thoughts on here. It would be interesting to see if the M6 did sound better than the M6500i.

Also going to look at a Rega Elicit-R

Elicit R - A very clean, transparent sounding amp, excellent dynamics & detail. Will reveal a poor source though - just be aware. I loved it

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
From a power amp perspective the A5CR power amp is very similar internally to its newer sibling the M6 PRX - both great amps.

I dont know if its a similar story with the A5 intergrated and M6i but would imagine there would be a fair amount of similarities - sure someone might be able to confirm this.

I imagine you'd notice quite a difference upgrading to the M6i integrated (or possibly the A5i) - ithe M6 isi supposed to be a very good piece of kit. I've owned the M3i and that was decent.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
It is true to say that there is quite a difference in the sound between the M6i and the M6 500i I love both I think the M6 500i is the more accurate of the two the M6i lifts the Bass at the moment the M6 500i has the edge for me I will be hanging onto the M6i for a while I might give it to my Son to go with his Mission 752s

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought stretchneck where abouts in the UK are you if your not to far away you could always borrow my M6i for a couple of weeks and see if you like it I live in Norwich Norfolk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts